OCR01490 - Awesome "Game Over (Cheeze Mix)"

I really enjoyed the little bit at 1:56, myself.

This entire song shows that kind of laid-back, mellow, kind of "hellz yeah" feeling. I look forward to playing some UT2k4 to this song. Though i'm not a big fan of fade-out endings, it works pretty well here. Good work!

Great piece. It's style reminds me of "Black Wind Rising" remix from Chrono Trigger, just because it jumps all over the place sound wise, and style wise, yet it retains a sense of self throughout. Awesome job, and hope to hear more.

From an arrangement standpoint, this is probably one of the most impressive things I've heard from my time on the panel, and it grew on me as I listened to it more after my vote. It really helps to be familiar with the original. I still think the production could have been tweaked on this to really make the whole package stronger, but I'd still throw it in my top 5 mixes for sure. It's quite a unique piece of work compared to everything else hosted at OCR. Nice work.

As soon as I saw the name on the judging queue, I knew I'd like it. Didn't know what to expect, however- this strange blend of sounds and grooves really smooth on the ears. Mellow enough for easy listening, yet still interesting for the fine details. I like.

As a whole, I really can't get into this song. But the synth solo at 2:10 is fucking hot.

Edit: After listening to this 30 or so times, I have to say that my original opinion was wrong. It took me forever to ease into this piece, as the beginning section up until the synth solo reminds me too much of the theme from that Unsolved Mysteries TV show which freaked the shit out of me when I was a kid. Anyway, upon further inspection, Liontamer was right in applauding the arrangement and composition of this remix. It's simply spectacular. The buildup to the synth solo is magnificent. And of course, the solo still kicks hefty ass.

• 3 weeks later...

Not the best mix I've ever heard, but pretty spiffy. However, I really think that you captured the "Pygnosis Sound" which I'm guessing that a lot of people aren't familiar with.

*edit*

Actually, considering that slow synth you were using throughout the song, I'd really love to see you do something ambient with that. Maybe Mario Kart's "Rainbow Road" or FF7's "Mako Reactor". I could see you doing something really wicked with a hard core synth song.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank u all for the kind words.

I made this track simply because Awesome (together with the "Shadow of the beast"-series were all games I deliberately died in just to hear the game over tunes.

The original Awesome game had a certain eire-ness to it that I couldn't quite capture. And all in all I might have wanted this remix to be less reverbed and pretentious. But still, I'm quite happy with it, and is thrilled to see other people enjoying it.

/Erik

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Some strange sections and modulations in this one, it takes several listens to figure out what's going on with the structure. There are so many different sections that there really is something for everyone, but I think the production is way verb heavy and lofi that it hurts what could be a much better mix.

While there were a lot of really good sections, there were a few that I don't really think fit thematically, and that pause seemed way out of place. The transitions seemed a little weak to me as well.

While it may sound like i am really railing on this one, I can see that there is a lot of really good stuff here; i'm just disappointed that it wasn't put together tighter. I bet if Eric took a look at this track today it'd be amazing.

A really good and creative but flawed mix. :-(

• 7 months later...

This doesn't have technical prowess backing it up, but wow, when it gets moving, I couldn't care less. It transcends its own limitations through the resounding use of synths and organs. However, the drums do come across over-reverbed and obvious, mainly because they open the piece and are vulnerable for all the world to analyse.

I can't say I've ever played or heard anything from the source, but my interest is now peaked. Here's hoping Youtube has the goods. If it is half as inventive and cereberal as this mix, I have some nice listening ahead. If not, I still have the Cheeze Mix.

• 1 year later...

Have to admit, I wasn't expecting much after hearing the intro. Overpowering kick, reverby mix in general. But out of nowhere, a pretty good groove gets established. It's almost like you have to wait out the weaker sections until things suddenly click together, like at 1:05 & 2:11.

It's not on my list of favorites or anything, but still an enjoyable track to listen to.

• 3 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01490 - Awesome "Game Over (Cheeze Mix)"