OCR03087 - Star Ocean: The Second Story 'This Love, Our Love'

Liontamer

Definitely hear where they're coming from with the lossy sounding acoustic... what was up with that, just too much EQ on the high end? Low pass or something? Lacks the high end vibrance. That's the only area that is kinda unfortunate in an otherwise awesome song -- not hearing any issues with the auto tune. Sounds tasteful and not overbearing. Not even hearing anything that sounds "force tuned", nice humanization on the settings. Avoiding the robot sound. No vibrato, but that's a common vocal style. Overall I dig it, a nice mix! An interesting combination too with the more punky vocals against the more pleasant backing... A nice, roomy acoustic guitar sound really would have put this over the edge in a good way.

Just to clarify: I had considered throwing in vocal harmonies at one point, but this song was created to be played live, and there's only one of me. For that reason, I stuck with a single vocal track and a single guitar track.

I recorded the acoustic guitar with a Shure SM58, because that's the only mic I own. I could not for the life of me EQ what I ended up with after tracking to sound as good as I really wanted. All I could do is try to get it close.

I love how this works for both the wedding and co-op play themes turned into a romantic "need you" story in the lyrics. That's a pretty emotional and clever idea and I'm all for it. Excellent work with the production and I personally don't have anything to nitpick at with the auto-tune or vocals for the most part because they are done in a way that fixes rather than causes problems to me.

I simply loved this song, getting goosebumps. I like how solemn it is and I also was a fan of keeping the vocals dry, center and singular the whole tune - a harmony might have been nice but for me it really delivers as it is, without additional oompah or sugar coating. It sounds more direct and earnest this way (I'm guessing, anyway). (Also, I'm glad there's no thundering drums and stuff, or modulation coming in, that kind of thing ;))

Can't say I was bothered about the guitar sound either, sounds good enough to me, might be better if it was better sounding but no problem. The swelling string/pad is very nice, the single line bowed string is pretty weak and pushed to the side, but not a huge issue.

I can hear the autotuning, it doesn't bother me, though I'd prefer without (tough of course it's nice that it's in tune). I enjoy Dustin's voice quite a lot here. Well done, and that it was made for the occasion is super cool - thanks for sharing!

• 10 months later...

The atmosphere of this remix is excellent. I love the mix between the acoustic guitars and strings (even if the strings are not harder to blend -- they're quite wet while the guitars are dry). The piano was a nice addition later on. The vocals were on spot as well. Decent production, but who cares with such a lovely mix? :) Nice job, Dustin!