Help Finding Chords to "Rift"

Modus

Hey I'm pretty new to acoustic guitar, but there's a song that is really deep in my psyche right now. I want to create an acoustic version, but I don't have an ear for chords to create tabs, and nothing seems to be available online.

If anyone is interested, could you help me tab out

? I might be able to throw in a few bucks if necessary. Or maybe you guys know a better online resource for me to do this?

Thanks for anything :]

I would be interested in helping out (for free). Transcribing is something that I need to work on and any motivation to practice it is good.

Can you read music? Or do you need it tabbed?

I am very tired tonight but a my very quick transcription of the intro chord sequence is:

Cm Bb F

Cm Gm Ab F

Take it with a pinch of salt for just now - I will have a proper listen tomorrow.

The piano type melody (which outlines the chords) where the vocals enter goes:

low-Bb C G

high-Bb D

low-Bb low-A

low-Bb C G

high-Bb D

low-Bb low-Bb C low-A

(Yeah, I appreciate that this will probably make little sense but it might give you a start until I have the time to write it out properly)

The vocal melody follows the Cm scale for the most part. I will write this out for you too if you need it.

Hope this gives you some sort of start.

Jonathan

A million happy balloons to you, Jonathan.

I am very tired tonight but a my very quick transcription of the intro chord sequence is:

Cm Bb F

Cm Gm Ab F

Yeah!! You got it, sounds correct! As a beginner, that C minor fingering looks a bit nasty.

Xe33ibx.png

low-Bb C G

high-Bb D

low-Bb low-A

low-Bb C G

high-Bb D

low-Bb low-Bb C low-A

Yep, that definitely sounds right.

The vocal melody follows the Cm scale for the most part. I will write this out for you too if you need it.

Just going to sing that :]

At 1:22 there are open chords being played in the back. Are those just what you wrote first, or something new? I think that's the whole song after that. Thanks again.

Yup, at 1:22 it seems to be the same chords.

The Cm chord is an A-shape barre chord (meaning that you hold your first finger across the entire fretboard to act as a nut). You could try sticking a capo on to get around playing it but I HIGHLY recommend learning how to play barre chords. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any guitar technique that is more useful to learn.

I would actually recommend learning the entire song in barre chords. It will be easier than trying to learn the other chords that you have listed and will be good practice.

The best thing about barre chords is that once you can play 1 of them, you can play any major or minor chord without any effort / having to look chords up.

I recorded a quick video showing the song played with barre chords. It is in 2 sections:

1) 0:00 This uses both E and A shape barre chords and is the way that I would naturally play it

2) 0:30 This only uses E shape barre chords. If you are just learning about barre chords then this would be a good option and is what I would recommend. This way you have only 1 shape that you need to learn.

3) 0:58 This is a repeat of 1. I just included it since you were asking questions about this part

Link here:

Hope this helps - let me know if you have any questions

(also, if you want to learn about guitar, justin sandercoe is the best person on the internet to learn from - here is his video on E shape barre chords: http://www.justinguitar.com/en/IM-131-AShapeMajorBarreChords.php )

• 4 weeks later...