What do you like to hear from remixes?

WillRock

So, I've been wondering. Music is such a subjective thing, and everyone is going to have different opinions. So I have a question for you all.

Remixes. What do you like to hear out of them?

Some example questions...

Do you prefer remixes that stylistically enhance the original or take it in a different direction?

Do you enjoy remixes with fantastic production values or do you prefer the more "human" feel of less professional/polished production?

Do you like remixes that stick to the original source arrangement or do you enjoy remixes that take liberties with the source material?

Do you prefer long or short remixes? etc etc.

Personally, I prefer remixes that enhance what the original was based on and aren't overly long. I don't particularly mind too much about production values but if its borderline unlistenable as a result I'll probably pass on it.

So.... What do you guys like? :P

Remixes. What do you like to hear out of them?

I usually like something about 3~5 minutes long with creative interpretation (I mostly love great reharmonizations and structural creativity), good-enough production, and I don't mind whether the vibe is similar or completely different from the original as long as it makes me smile on the personalization. Cohesive and inventive sound design is a plus. Sometimes if it's really good I'm willing to listen to up to a 10-minute remix.

I really like Remixes that are pretty faithful to the original material but add more depth or new instruments in a musically interesting way. So I guess I prefer the original song to be the melodic foundation, but I like it when Remixers expand on the original song in a clever way.

I guess I prefer shorter Remixes? I have a short attention span, any song (not just Remixes) longer than 6-7 minutes has to be fantastic to keep my attention.

I like stuff that goes above and beyond, if it's metal it's gotta either be produced amazingly or have a super substantial expansive arrangement...................... even if that doesn't apply to my own stuff! I'm still allowed to have tastes :tomatoface:

Apart from that I like stuff you don't usually hear a lot -- acoustic stuff with interesting instrument choices, or just a lot of well-recorded instruments (accordion, flutes, clarinets, other non-common flute types, etc) mandolins, banjos, etc etc.

When it comes to electronic stuff I like it to differentiate itself from the stuff you commonly hear, like not auto-pilot stuff. I like it to be substantial and expansive just like I would expect from a metal remix.

And in the end if it's loud, heavy, and has good production, I'll probably like it. Or soft and clear with good production for acoustic stuff. :lol:

I should have just said what Larry said, that would have been less confusing.

If the timing is bad or there's bad quality recordings in the mix it kinda turns me off.

I don't really listen to remixes for nostalgia or to be reminded of the VGM it's based on, I listen to it just as regular music, at least currently. And the gap between is getting more and more narrow as the years go on.

Edited by Brandon Strader

I usually like something about 3~5 minutes long with creative interpretation (I mostly love great reharmonizations and structural creativity), good-enough production, and I don't mind whether the vibe is similar or completely different from the original as long as it makes me smile on the personalization. Cohesive and inventive sound design is a plus. Sometimes if it's really good I'm willing to listen to up to a 10-minute remix.

Basically this.

I mean there's some epic medley-type things (*cough*prancingdad*cough*) that are different but like...

Take a source and just... reinterpret it. I've often found that just the ACT of reinterpreting makes it different enough to be OCR worthy on that front.

I like to hear note-for-note covers or MIDI rips, otherwise (like most OC ReMixes) they sound absolutely nothing like the original, which is required by the Proper VGM Arrangement Police. :-D

TL;DR - I'm open-minded. I like all the arrangement styles.

General MIDI sounds are also teh best! They sound more like the SNES than any BIG NAME library. :twisted:

To be honest first and foremost the track needs to make me feel something. I need to experience a connection or an emotional response. Without that everything else doesn't matter. With it it makes up for a multitude of perceived short comings.

One thing I have always found hurts a remix is when it is too predictable. I like to be pleasantly surprised.

Edited by avaris

Creativity. A solopiano that's harmonically and melodically the same as the original, but masterly arranged is fine by me. And songs that sound really different from the original, but are relatively simple in sound, arrangement and stuff like that don't really interest me. The way the artist interprets the original and makes it his/her own is really important for me. And whether that way is 30 minutes long, only french horn and some weird mash up of every known genre doesn't matter. As long as its musically interesting.

I like a remix that grabs the soul of the original piece. That doesn't neccesarily translate to "conservative remix," but rather something that conveys a similar mood to the original. Nutritious' Cave Story remix is a perfect example of what I'm talking about here, or theophany's Majora's Mask album - each piece is a creative expansion on the original mood of the source tune.

As someone who constantly seeks out new material to play on SEGA Mixer Drive, the standards that I have for playing a mix on the show relate either 1) an artist giving some personalisation when writing the remix, or 2) in the arrangement of a live instrument cover, satisfactory production values. Considering that you're seeking out a maximum of around 150 new Sega remix releases over the course of the year, it's actually not very easy at all just to find the ones that click.

On my own personal standpoint though, I'm with timaeus in wanting to sense an emotional connection to the source material. You can still hit the player's feelings without having to resort to some hastily-done MIDI-rip - as Chernabogue also had said, every piece of music would have a story behind it, which in this case is most likely to relate to the artist's personal feelings towards that point in the game.

I'm not too fussy on length (though if it's longer than 10 minutes, it's also less likely to be radio-friendly); production values can also vary on what the person is capable of and I am fine with getting the best out of what they have; and for the most part, I wouldn't mind seeing it taken in a different direction - but do remember though, heart-felt ballads turned into techno songs is one of my biggest musical pet peeves. (I'd still play it on the show anyway, lol.)

Anyway, yes. That's my two cents. :wink:

Interesting question. I guess many of my favorites have a formula: Parts that are faithful and have the exact same melody as in the source material, with new stuff built around it. I like a mix of conservative&something entirely new. Cases in point:

-Passing of the blue crown

-Quick and the blue

-Jade catacombs

etc.

Your mix for FF3 is exactly what I'm into! It even has live accordion!! :-D