OCR01493 - Zombies Ate My Neighbors "The Curse"

Saw this on R: TS a while ago and loved it. While it doesn't use very much from the source, it is nonetheless and excellent arrangement. I love it. Great tune that is completely different from Protricity's "Neighburgers". We need more remixes like this where its not so much about the re-arranging of the source technically, as how much fun it can be to play it and just rock out!

Great job Cpacaud!

All I can say;

ABOUT F'IN TIME.

:D

Also, I'd like to hear out more about the dissonant harmonies Zircon mentionned. Where exactly?

About the performance, yeah, I'm definitely not on the same level as the guitar gods of the scene, but I'm not letting it get in the way of trying stuff, so it's kinda a take it or leave it deal.

Huh?

I'm a Zombies Ate My Neighbors fan, I gobble up remixes, but this is really ZAMN in name only. There are a couple of familiar chords thrown in for good measure, but most of it is guitar freestyling with very little to do with ZAMN. It doesn't evoke ZAMN at all; the cheesy, B-horror feel that was present in everything is stripped bare, only present in the organ music which, here, does not represent anything and seems more like a circumstance than a tribute.

I'm not going to say it's a bad remix. It's obvious a lot of work went into it. However, as a fan of the game and its music, I can't say this remix reinvents anything for me or stirs up any nostalgia. It's like listening to a standup comic rant about shoelaces, forcing a smile and saying "Yeah, kind of, I guess".

Thanks guys.

And Blind Hornet, I think this is just a case of having different philosophies about remixing. I'm not trying to stir up nostalgia or evoke the original feel, quite the contrary in fact. I'm trying to create something new based on the original music.

In a way, the only thing that remains of the original song here is the notes (sorry, but the themes of the original are ALL over the place, even if it's not always obvious), the instrumentation and the overall wackiness/chaos of the track. Dunno if you're familiar with my mixes in general, but I tend to follow that line pretty much all the time.

This a great remix in terms of style and flair. Live guitars rocking out one of the coolest songs in ZAMN. Great job.

And Blind Hornet, I think this is just a case of having different philosophies about remixing. I'm not trying to stir up nostalgia or evoke the original feel, quite the contrary in fact. I'm trying to create something new based on the original music.

QFE. That's what remixes are supposed to do. If you want to hear the original, GO LISTEN TO THE ORIGINAL!

Wow, I never played the original, but a few seconds into the remix, I thought I heard something familiar. I checked again and sure enough, the melody was unmistakable...the haunting notes of the Dies Irae. An unexpected but nonetheless creative setting for a classic tune. Good work, Jean-Luc Pacaud of the U.S.S. Enterprise...more Gregorian chants should be played on electric guitar in my opinion. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Wonderfully rough and dirty.. Don't like that loud wah-wah guitar line, but otherwise it holds together well. Versatile sounds! I definitely enjoy the roughness of the guitars blended with the organs. Most of the time the "band" sounds sound more like a garage band than a home studio effort, which is good.

--Eino

• 1 year later...

Nice lead tone for sure, the harmonized parts are nice, and the changeups are good as well. I think a little more bass in most of the sections would have made things gel a bit better, but overall I was feeling this one. The blast beat is a bit lol, but I think blast beats in general are lol, so it is what it is.

The wah'ed lead is a little loud too, but it's in their briefly and doesn't really detract.

I'm loving the harpsichord flourishes, and though i think the kit sound is a little too raw, it still sounds good.

I overlooked this one when it first came out due to not being familiar with the source, but i'm glad I finally got around to rocking; this track is excellent.

• 3 months later...

Awesomeness abound. Great mashup of creepiness and pure badassery. In that regard, its very ZAMN.

The guitar clarity is what I enjoy most about this, I think. I'm glad the distorted route wasn't taken. I tire easily of distortion, and with a mix that is this length, it's important that everything sounds as pleasing as possible to maintain consistent interest. I'm unsure about the wah portions though, sometimes I thought they fit, other times I minded them. But they are small portions, and they are easy to tolerate.

And I have to mention the harpischord and organ, for this mix would not be the same without them. In future, all mixes lose marks for not having harpischord and organ in them. Love it. The ending is exspecially cool.

It's a really good tune, this, and although it does hop around all over the place, it always makes sense to me. And that's important. I haven't been big on this for a long time, but now I am really starting to like it. Nice one.

• 2 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01493 - Zombies Ate My Neighbors "The Curse"