Contact information:

Remixer Name: Blindzoom

E-mail address:

Userid: 48917

Submission information:

Name of game arranged: Final Fantasy VII

Name of arrangement: Hyperthoughts

Name of individual song arranged: Holding my thoughts in my heart

Source is one of my favourite from FFVII's OST, and the idea was of shifting it's melanchonic atmosphere into something more happy and energetic without going too far from the source mood. So i opened up Reason, and almost 3 years after that moment, here's the result.

I would like to thank everyone in the WIP forum, the community has been incredible in helping me.

---------------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

WOW. I adore this arrangement! Piano sounds a bit mechanical but the delay is really nice. This is a pretty easy YES vote honestly, but I have one pretty major issue, and that is that the entire track is too bright and crispy. Every element has too much going on in the top frequency (10K-20K Hz). Backing elements, hats, leads, all are screaming in that high range. Some of that needs to calm down for me to get the full effect from this track. I think the hats, claps, crashes could stay bright, but the piano, gated backing synth, arpy backing synth and leads need to be tamed up top. That gated synth is a bit too loud, also, the lead is buried by it sometimes. Overall mastering might be a touch hot as well.

I could see this passing anyway, but it would really be so much improved by a little corrective eq, so I'm gonna be a hardass on this. Please send this back asap!!! I love it.

NO (resubmit)

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, yeah, that piano is really rigidly sequenced and pretty hot in the high end without much low/mid range body.

When everything kicks in, most of the elements (except perhaps the side-chained noise channel) sound really centered. Everything starts to sound pretty crowded in the mid/mid-high range. Even when the piano-focused bridge comes in later, it's still really heavy in these same frequency ranges. Maybe it's just me, but the low end sounded a bit empty in comparison. Would like to hear an overall EQ readjustment to balance things out better.

Some pretty cool arrangement ideas on display here. Liking the use of synthy strings. Not gonna lie, Dance/Trance isn't my genre of choice, but it sounded competently put together. I wasn't wow-ed by some of these synth choices. 1:57 felt pretty weak as a lead, both here and when it comes in later. It gets overpowered by the louder backing elements whenever it plays. The background repeating arp-synth is pretty basic sounding, which wouldn't matter as much if it was more relegated to the background. Here it's pretty prominent in the soundfield. Liked the piano bridge idea I mentioned earlier.

Cool arrangement ideas on display here, but some production love needed. Look at a better EQ balance, panning/spacing, and lead/backing part balancing.

NO resubmit, please

Vig:

Listening to this quiet, all you hear is the turbo-steroid sidechained 4-8kHz poking out. It washes out everything else. Aside from that, it's a pretty typical genre shoehorn.

NO.

zykO:

yeah, this is solid as the first few steps into a large world of electronic dance muzik but it is nonetheless just that; the first few, stumbling steps. it's particularly predictable, presetty, and doesn't do enough dynamically (both sonically and in terms of arrangement) to really grab the listener's attention. there are some neat ideas from 4:05 on that you should spend much more time exploring and working with compositionally before you even worry about production.

but as it stands,

NO.