Castlevania - Wicked Chip (chiptune/drum 'n bass)

Jorito

i think it could be a bit of a coin toss as far as judging goes, though i don't know the policies/philosophies these days as far as more core chiptune arrangements go. i happen to like the dry sound with the drums beefing it up. seems very intentional.

I'm not aware of any anti chiptune policies on the site/panel, but yes, the sound was pretty intentional. I started out (and stuck with) the idea of a chiptune inspiration with non-chiptune drums and not pure chiptune. Heck, in the end the project counted ~50 tracks if you count all the individual parts and layers, try to do that with a pure chiptune :P

I'm not aware of any anti chiptune policies on the site/panel, but yes, the sound was pretty intentional. I started out (and stuck with) the idea of a chiptune inspiration with non-chiptune drums and not pure chiptune. Heck, in the end the project counted ~50 tracks if you count all the individual parts and layers, try to do that with a pure chiptune :P

Well, compare to the original. It's chiptune too, so the emphasis on the judging would likely be on your arrangement and your synth expression.

I imagine if there are issues, it might be on:

- The somewhat still-buried kick, but there might be a "but I'll live" or something

- The strange vibrato speed and intensity on the solo; at 1:55 during the vibrato due to overlapped sequencing it sounds weird to me

- That it's chiptune and that they'll look at arrangement closely

- The somewhat unintelligible vocoder

I think it could be close. :)

As far as pure chiptunes go, the judges don't have a particular bias against it. The reason pure chiptunes have a difficult time getting on the site is because there isn't a bias for them, either; the production standards are weighed against any other song, not against the production values of chiptunes (which is considerably difficult to match, when it comes to pure chiptunes). This song isn't a pure chiptune, so I hear a good deal of production polish that brings it to an acceptable level, in my opinion.

Don't worry, it still has a pretty good shot as it is, production-wise.

For myself, the track is done. We'll see what the judges think of it by the end of the year and if they feel a resub is in order I'll tackle that when it comes. No use worrying about it until then :)

Anyways, appreciate the extra insights. It's not gonna stop me from doing another chiptune when I feel like it at least :P