My Ibanez RG5EX1

I just bought a new guitar, its an Ibanez RG5EX1 with a floating trem. When I bought it, it came with bass strings for the lower 3 strings, its super heavy; its turned to drop A#. Anyways i'm taking it in on saturday to get it set up for 10 guage strings, but i'm having other problems with it.

Double locking trems shouldnt go out of tune correct? Mine is, mainly the G strings, some times I can hear it drop tune when i'm freting. I'm think its becuase its one of ibanezs cheap floating trems and it cant be fixed. Anyone know if it is a problem that can be fixed? I have 20 days to take it back, but I dont want to have it set up for 10 guage strings, then find out I wanna trade it for a non-trem guitar.

A GOOD floating trem, like an original Floyd Rose, Wylkinson, Kahler or the Ibanez Lo-Pro will NOT go out of tune. The cheap tremolo that's on your RG5EX1 isn't worth keeping. I suggest you made due for now while you save for a Floyd Rose (an Original one, they cost about $200) to replace it with.

Also, Ibanez Wizard necks are some of the best around, I'd only trade it for a Jackson of similar value, like the KVX10.

I'd forget about the Evolutions. They aren't very versatile because you can always hear that Steve Vaiish fatness in their sound.

For a metal sound (anything from Aerosmith clean sound to Dream Theater's heavy crunch), I'd recommend DiMarzio Air Norton (neck) and Tone Zone (bridge). That's what I think would sound better on an Ibanez, but you'll never get the 'tearing apart' sound of a Jackson, the bluesy sound of a Strat or the OVERHUGE sound of a Les Paul.

I'd forget about the Evolutions. They aren't very versatile because you can always hear that Steve Vaiish fatness in their sound.

For a metal sound (anything from Aerosmith clean sound to Dream Theater's heavy crunch), I'd recommend DiMarzio Air Norton (neck) and Tone Zone (bridge). That's what I think would sound better on an Ibanez, but you'll never get the 'tearing apart' sound of a Jackson, the bluesy sound of a Strat or the OVERHUGE sound of a Les Paul.

I traded the Ibanez for a Schecter Gryphon...which is a guitar center exclusive, but its modeled after Schecters C-1 series. It has Duncan Designed pickups, which are modeled after Seymour Duncan JB (SH-4)

& Jazz (SH-2n from what I have read. It also has a coil tap which they say is only on the bridge but I can hear the diffrent on the neck as well.

I have a question about coil taps, will it work with any pickups?

Like I said i'm looking for something very versatile, I want to achieve sounds like avenged svenfold, angra, vai, and satriani. Basiccaly I want a heavy metal tone with lots of versatile.

The favorite seems to be the EMG 81/85 active set for metal and they do sound killer, but you'd need to put a hole into your guitar for the battery case. If you don't want to do that, I would totally go for the Evolutions. I love them and they're great for metal. There's a new Evo2 bridge pickup that is more dynamic and cleans up easily. It doesn't have as high an output as the original, but it is a little more versatile.

Active pickups really piss me off, I prefer to use passive pickups with active/passive electronics. That way you can plug any pickup into your guitar and get all the benefits of active pickups plus active EQ PLUS being able to use them in their normal passive state if your battery runs out or you just feel like it.

DiMarzio's are great, but I've always been partial to Duncans. In reality, all pickups are the same after a certain point of quality, it's just a matter of picking one that is tuned to the frequencies and output that you want, that's when you start to notice things that would lead you to prefer one manufacturer over another.

Well like I said befor, I really likes vai's and satrianis tones. Since Vais evo2 bridge is a highpower and Satrianis is only a medium power, the evo2 would be a better choice for metal, correct? And i'm thinking about getting a satriani pickup in the neck, but I need to really play a jem and a satriani to know what i'm getting myself into.

I appecerciate all the help so far guys.

EDIT: Sixto, could you give me a sample of what the bridge and neck evolutions sound like? :)

Just some random wanking. Please excuse the sloppy playing. :wink:

Evo Clip

Signal:

Ibanez Jem with DiMarzio Evolution pickups > Boss Keeley Ultra DS-1 Distortion > Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay > Mesa Lonestar Head, Clean Channel > Mesa Standard Rectifier 4x12 Cabinet > Audix i5 (off axis) and Studio Projects C-1 (on axis) and I added some Waves plate reverb in post.

Snapple is right, though. Only Vai and Satch can sound like themselves, but their tones aren't too impossible to conjur up if you know their rigs well enough, which aren't too complex.

Steve uses Jems with Evolutions and Breeds into a Bad Horsie Wah, a Keeley DS-1 (or a rare Japanese DS-1 from the 80s) into his signature Carvin Legacy amp. he also uses a Digitech Whammy, though I'm not sure if it's before the amp or in the effects loop. The effects he uses are quite pricey, though, especially the Evantide stuff. He controls everything from his Bradley switching system his tech set up, which is ridiculously expensive.

Satch, on the other hand, has a much simpler setup. His signature JS guitars into the same DS-1 (Keeley or old Japanese) into his JSX amps. And I think he only uses a few pedals in the effects loops. Pretty simple. Alot of the time, Satch doesn't even use the distortion in his amp. He'll just his DS-1 into a clean amp, which is what I did for this clip. Have fun with your new guitar. 8)

Just some random wanking. Please excuse the sloppy playing. :wink:

Evo Clip

Signal:

Ibanez Jem with DiMarzio Evolution pickups > Boss Keeley Ultra DS-1 Distortion > Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay > Mesa Lonestar Head, Clean Channel > Mesa Standard Rectifier 4x12 Cabinet > Audix i5 (off axis) and Studio Projects C-1 (on axis) and I added some Waves plate reverb in post.

Snapple is right, though. Only Vai and Satch can sound like themselves, but their tones aren't too impossible to conjur up if you know their rigs well enough, which aren't too complex.

Steve uses Jems with Evolutions and Breeds into a Bad Horsie Wah, a Keeley DS-1 (or a rare Japanese DS-1 from the 80s) into his signature Carvin Legacy amp. he also uses a Digitech Whammy, though I'm not sure if it's before the amp or in the effects loop. The effects he uses are quite pricey, though, especially the Evantide stuff. He controls everything from his Bradley switching system his tech set up, which is ridiculously expensive.

Satch, on the other hand, has a much simpler setup. His signature JS guitars into the same DS-1 (Keeley or old Japanese) into his JSX amps. And I think he only uses a few pedals in the effects loops. Pretty simple. Alot of the time, Satch doesn't even use the distortion in his amp. He'll just his DS-1 into a clean amp, which is what I did for this clip. Have fun with your new guitar. 8)

Sweet dude, your playing always impresses me. I reconized a few Vai songs.

I know I won't sound like Vai or Satriani, I just love their tones. Is it just me or is Satrianis tone a little over compressed sometimes?

I also have a shity strat copy that I payed 2$ for that i'm going to scallope tomorrow. I'm going to put Yngwie Malmsteen pickups in it.