OCR00580 - Doom II "Barrels o' Fun"

orkybash

Doom II 'Barrels o' Fun'

This song is a bit... heavier than I'm used to listening to, but I really appreciate the high production values, and the intricacies in the special effects (by the way, I urge everyone not to give away a certain effect... it's much less cool if you know it's coming!) Anyway, just know that this mix is probably the coolest "thrill ride" on OC, and gets a highly recommended from Orkybash.

• 2 weeks later...

Hehehe, I know exactly what your talking about Orky. When I first listened to it I thought it might be my comp :o. Never played Doom 2, but loved the music from the first installment and this song is pretty good too. The distortion didnt bother me at all, in fact I kinda liked it. I recommend this song to be played on a quadronic speaker setup because it supports it and is MUCH cooler...escpecially at that one cool part...This song has high special effects and it sounds like a lot of thought went into the song itself, I give it a 9.5/10 on its technical level because of its originality and high production level. Highly recommended to listen to atleast once.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to think to myself what you meant by special effects...but then I go back to my first time listening to this and know exactly what you're saying. I love this mix, and what a classic game to do it for. I personally enjoy this one more than most of the remixes I listen to. Fantasic job on this one! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

well, the song in teh game was based strongly off of alice in chains "them bones", its basically an instrumental version.

it sounds alright really when compared to the original. just a bit too much electronic stuff going on thru the whole song for my tastes. all in all, it gets a 7 out of 10 on my scale, i'll keep it and listen to it a lot ;) .

Mazedude throws another piece right back at us with this amazingly well done doom mix, the nicely rendered industrial and ripping sounds of this song brings back a tear to my eye of the days i would play doom 2. Its a good reminder, very heavy song and a great industrial feel.

The song itself is very faithfull to the orignal doom2, keeping the mood just right. the flange shot a -2:11 is an amazing touch as well as all 3 filters passed through there including the speedup at -1:42, it chains so well toghether, im asking myself how Mazedude made it out alive.

Through many leaps taken on this song, i have to say that Mazedude has another job well done to keeping a song faithfull to its titles.

Good job.

This song would go great with a cool looking Doom video to go with it. The effects are just awsome. While it isn't so "upbeat" as most of my music it just has a sweet offbeat groove that keeps ya listening.

...I still think it make a good music video.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I actually first heard this one at school. Me and my friend John were in the library, surfing OCR, and John yelled out "WOAH! Dude! This is sweet!". I just asked him what was sweet and he told me to "Get "Barrels O' Fun" by Mazdude! THIS IS SWEEEEEEEET!". I did... IT WAS SWEET. IT IS SWEET. Not much to say but get this mix. Mazedude, you make me look like a pile of dirt.

• 1 month later...

Can you say "kickass"?!

I most certainly think you can, considering how kickass this remix is. Effects are everywhere...

And that's just about it. This mix is indescribable, and certainly one of my favorite Mazedude remixes. It's not entirely listenable at first or at any time, so it just keeps getting better as my ears pick up new sounds and effects that couldn't been noticed the first, second, third, etc. time....

In short, some good heavy shiznit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

This song was a mixed bag for me...the distorted rockin industrial beat is excellent. The instrumentation on the main tune that goes overtop of the beat isn't. To me it's just annoying, and it sounds like it got recorded directly off of some bad NES game. I wish the song were either redone with new instrumentation on the tune/melody, or that it were just the industrial/distorted/beat part with nothing over top.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
A great remix, but I'm not as fond of the root song ("Bye Bye American Pie") as I am of some of the others in the game. I like his remixes of "Shawn's Got the Shotgun" and "The Demon's Dead" better, but solely because I like prefer the originals. I would love to see him do "Into Sandy's City" (Map 09).

EDIT: I'm retarded. I need to actually look at the remixes before I post. Downloading "Gothic Sandy" right now.

The original tune for this piece was Alice in Chains 'Them Bones', if you want to look it up on a kazaa engine.

I'm nice enough that I've supplied a little clip of the original song here:

Right click & Save as.

Enjoy.

(btw: this song still kicks the llama's ass.)

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I must say...always been a fan of the DOOM games, and none of your remixes have let me down. This one is probably my favorite of your submissions, though Oldskool Demon is very close to the top there.

I'd like to see more, and I don't doubt that you'll poke your head back into OCR sometime soon. If it's with another DOOM mix, I'll be happy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00580 - Doom II "Barrels o' Fun"