OCR01494 - F-Zero "The Flood Plain"

djpretzel

All I can say...is...is wow...

As djp said, I would have NEVER imagined the adrenaline-pumping F-Zero theme to make a piano arrangement. When I started to listen, I was skeptical that the arrangement would be too simple, and basically be the same song just played on piano. But it's not. The left hand is active all the time, making those scales fill in what would otherwise be dull space, and making the entire piece flow from start to finish. And fluidity is a great tool on the piano.

My only gripes are the slips on the keys now and again. You can tell he mistakenly hit certain notes at certain moments and make you go, "Huh?" But those slips are gone in a second, and you're instantly swept away at how elegant such a hardcore song sounds on such a gentle instrument.

I really like this mix. Not only is it my favorite F-Zero mix on the site now, but it's up there in piano arrangements with BogusRed's "Into the Golden Sunset" and kLuTz's pieces. Nice stuff John.

9.6/10

This is my favorite F-Zero track to begin with and what an awesome piano arrangment.

Incredible. This deserves more attention.

It hasn't even been out for a full day and already has a good amount of comments. :whatevaa:

Wonderful mix. Not quite as good as Live from the Yggdrasil, but still a great piano arrangement. A bit sloppy at points, but your playing and arrangement more than make up for it.

Now where's the Magnet Man? :)

Glad this is finally up!

Been a long time in the making. And I'm happy to say I have an early recording of this (albeit unfinished) because there are some things I like in both performances. But you're pretty good at doing that anyway, right? I try to get as many versions of your music as possibly because there's always something something there to find me.

Glad it's up. Glad it's out. Glad you're still making music.

I wouldn't say the errors are unnoticeable. I definitely noticed them, and they are a minor distraction. Obviously, you can't play a live piano track without a few mistakes, but it would have been nice to have gotten a couple more takes, so the number of them could possibly have been minimized better.

However, I say this only because it's so good. When I saw one of the new posts was from JigginJonT, I was excited, and justifiably - arrangement-wise, this is just as good as anything he's done before, and JigginJon is one of my favorite arrangers, on this site or any other. I listened to this song 3 times so far, and it hasn't gotten any less interesting than it was the first time. In fact, I could even say that this song makes up for the inexplicably bad mood I've been in the past couple days. Would just have liked to see fewer tiny - but not unnoticeable - mistakes, because this song was too close to perfect to not be perfect.

I could also mention that the section from about :32 to about :52 in which he pretty much didn't do anything, was a bit too long of a pause. But whatever.

Jon! Make more music, faster! :P

GEEZ...it had me from 'Hello.' I was captivated by the 7th second during the intro. This is what OCR's are all about. Bringing back the memories from the great games of the day. I felt like this mix really put me into the drivers seat of a F-zero machine. I wonder if the drivers felt the same way...alittle sad, fast paced, like they were a part of something beautiful...

Excellent job Jiggin...please keep them coming. Your work is much much appreciated.

I don't like this remix as it is. The piano performance is far from perfection, you should have practiced it more. The sound quality is mediocre because of the inflated reverb, but the recording sounds OK. This remix had potential, but you submited it too early.

At first I was kinda disappointed that it wasn't another arty rock arrangement in the vain of 'Voices Broken' however when the familiar melody kicked in it became very clear that this was a quality take on a great tune and I enjoy it very much.

That said... more arty rock f-zero mixes please.

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent... I enjoy this remix more every time I listen to it. Well layered, thoughtful, and complex. My only complaint is that on the first listen I thought that my speakers were broken during the quiet section in the first minute. I think that an expanded and more fluid intro would enhance the accessability of the piece. Great stuff...

• 2 weeks later...

F-Zero has one of my favourite OSTs from the SNES era, so I was in high spirits when I saw the new mix on the front page. And it didn't disappoint me.

There are only two gripes I have: the first would be that the quiet section is a little too quiet, and the second is the part at 1:37/1:38. I simply don't like this style of playing that sounds as if the player hammers down his whole forearm on the keys.

Overall, beautiful piece. Congrats on that one.

• 2 months later...

Those extraneous noises at the end were really annoying, at least this listen-through, since I couldn't even pay attention to the piano at all. I think the silent part at the beginning is alright...if it wasn't so long. I mean it's like TOO long. It could have easily had the same feeling if it was just a little shorter.

Other than that, I have no clue what the post above is talking about with the "you should have practiced it more" comment. The soundscape is what made me keep this song, besides the arrangement, much like with what the guy said about burning the song for his truck. Near the end of djp's write-up rings true.

Man, do I love F-Zero [and F-Zero's music] or what? Can't go wrong with an F-Zero ReMix, ever, seriously. Although usually I'm not a huge fan of piano-only works, this is a rather interesting interpretation of Big Blue. Never expected to hear a piano piece from it.. great stuff. Greater variation in the volume levels of notes would add to the reality of the piece. There's a lot of variation, but it's not entirely perfect, but it's pretty close. excellent.

• 4 weeks later...

This has to be one of my favorite piano mixes there are. It makes me wanna start playing piano again. I used to play piano but all of the sudden my piano teacher decided to move to Africa (Where did that come from?). The ... I don't know musical term... but it sounds like four very fast triplets. I love that, it makes me wet myself. It just sounds so beautiful. I wish there were more mixes like this that made me wet myself.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01494 - F-Zero "The Flood Plain"