RWS 3-2: Iron Remixer Challenge: Bleep'

MindWanderer

Some passing critiques:

Jonathan!+Cyril - Nice, I remember this source well. I'm guessing Cyril did the guitars (edit: nope); recognizing the tone (edit: nope). Small note: Cyril's timing was a little off on the rhythm guitars, if you listen to them alongside the drums. Good featuring of Bleep, though I think that it was lacking expression (vibrato, pitch bend, etc). At 1:35, I was hoping for some sort of solo since the mood changed for a while with that dissonant arp, but oh well. Also, the ending was odd since it was very left-panned without something on the right to balance it out. Overall not too bad IMO. Definitely not lacking in energy, and in general solid performances from Cyril (edit: Jonathan) and prominent usage of Bleep.

Yoshiblade+Gario - With this being almost pure chiptune, it really puts a lot of weight on arrangement for me. I just thought the arrangement was... plain/straightforward... and the production felt sparse. It was practically Bleep and drums. That (

?) drum loop also doesn't help too much with the arrangement flow there. :| Needed more chiptune synths or something to fill in the soundscape more for more interest. I thought it was a little quiet or missing a lead at certain spots.

Necrox+Me - I actually really liked the sound choices here. It sounds rather cohesive, especially in the first minute with the ambient noise hits. All of the sounds are him, except for the violin. That trembling sine wave later on near 1:10 was pretty cool; I think I saw what you were going for there---a delicate lead, but I think it worked. I thought the piano notes were basic (common intervals), but the volume was nice and I didn't think it overpowered too much. The structure is surprisingly not cryptic, which tends to be a problem with ambient music---I would think people tend to get lost in the expansiveness of the sound design and think "okay, what just happened again?" and rewind or skip. :)

supercoolmike+Esperado - I liked the bass sound here. Good use of detuning work to thicken it up there. Some of the sequencing felt too fast for the tempo, but it's OK. Oh, this source. MMZ4! Interesting shift in mood from the original's (obviously) rockin' vibe for the first half of it. It almost felt like a march toward the battle itself, before getting into the battle vibe (rather suddenly) at 1:21. Overall, I actually liked this quite a bit (though it could just be because I played this game before).

Edited by timaeus222

Some passing critiques:

Jonathan!+Cyril - Nice, I remember this source well. I'm guessing Cyril did the guitars; recognizing the tone. Small note: Cyril's timing was a little off on the rhythm guitars, if you listen to them alongside the drums. Good featuring of Bleep, though I think that it was lacking expression (vibrato, pitch bend, etc). At 1:35, I was hoping for some sort of solo since the mood changed for a while with that dissonant arp, but oh well. Also, the ending was odd since it was very left-panned without something on the right to balance it out. Overall not too bad IMO. Definitely not lacking in energy, and in general solid performances from Cyril and prominent usage of Bleep.

I just wanna chime in here because I did *not* end up helping out by playing at all, I was definitely in 100% mentor mode for this one. Considering what ended up becoming the timeframe of actual solid work Jonathan! killed it.

;-)

I hope to listen to the others soon as I can

I just wanna chime in here because I did *not* end up helping out by playing at all, I was definitely in 100% mentor mode for this one. Considering what ended up becoming the timeframe of actual solid work Jonathan! killed it.

;-)

Oh, nice, so it's his guitars! Cool, I didn't know he played!

;-)

I would say that Cyril is underselling himself here. Although the guitar performances and processing are mine, Cyril was the one who pointed out techniques such as reverbing the guitars which I wouldn't have considered otherwise.

As far as the timing goes, this is something that we were aware of but decided to ignore because of time constraints.

I agree with the comment about 1:35 - it is something that was originally intended but again dropped because of time / recording practicalities.

With regards to bleep expression, I tried to get it to work but to no avail :(

With the ending, it was 100% my fault. It sounded good when I was tired and about to submit...

Thanks a lot for leaving your feedback, I really appreciate it (I definitely feel much better about the guitars). I will try to leave my vote / feedback tomorrow.

Results are in!

1. Tower of Giants! by Yoshiblade with Gario: 14 + 3 = 17 points
  2. A Castle Appeared Before Me by Necrox with timaeus222: 10 + 6 = 16 points
  3. Bleeping Hell by Jonathan! with Cyril the Wolf: 11 + 3 = 14 points
  4. A road towards destiny by supercoolmike with Esperado: 7 + 0 = 7 points

Good work by everyone, lots of different approaches here.

Per everyone's suggestions, I'll be opening up the next round for signups first, followed by the theme announcement next week.