OCR01495 - Chrono Trigger "Town Life"

djpretzel

and alot of Green day with Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life), and some Tracy Chapman, that is how it feels :) a sweet, and great song :)

Thanks - spot on with the Green Day influence. I *was* actually considering adding a string part and changing the title to "Town of Your Life" as a VERY obvious reference, but the final product was different enough and serious enough to dictate otherwise.

and alot of Green day with Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life), and some Tracy Chapman, that is how it feels :) a sweet, and great song :)

Thanks - spot on with the Green Day influence. I *was* actually considering adding a string part and changing the title to "Town of Your Life" as a VERY obvious reference, but the final product was different enough and serious enough to dictate otherwise.

Great :) I just had a real feeling about Green Day, but heck that is because music in every way is a passion for me :)

anyway thumps up :)

• 4 weeks later...

Very enjoyable. Taucers guitar-work is as wonderful as always, and DJPs singing has come a long way since the infamous singing pretzel. I hope to hear more vocals from him.

And I like the lyrics. Never played Chrono Trigger and probably never will, so I don't know anything about the story behind it, but the lyrics are nice and not too cheesy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to say, belatedly, to the people bashing the lyrics, that they relly do make perfect sense, but only in the context of the game Chrono Trigger. It's not just a song about being away from home that uses some chrono trigger music, it's a song about Crono's own journey.

Just wanted to say, belatedly, to the people bashing the lyrics, that they relly do make perfect sense, but only in the context of the game Chrono Trigger. It's not just a song about being away from home that uses some chrono trigger music, it's a song about Crono's own journey.

I'm not able to look at things that deep. Care to explain?

• 2 weeks later...
This is the kind of stuff my parents listen to, man... 0_0. I mean, it's like those hippie songs that go nowhere. It could use drums and an electric guitar, maybe even an acid bassline, but it was produced very good and the vocals don't suck. Good job.

lol

this is very confusing i dont like it that much and the singer... i cant understand one word

LOL

LOL (actually I don't know, but it just sounds like original lyrics to me)

But still. 3 lols in a row, from me is pretty crazy.

djp needs to hurry up and delve into every genre so he can go back to the funk!

Better than it could have been. I'm not going to keep it because of personal preference, but I like how it develops even if it doesn't really go anywhere, and how the guitar seems to conclude at points, but then continues, echoing the vocals.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I would rank this song among my 2 personal favorite remixes,FFIV's Tororian Love Song, and Shen Mue's Dreaming while I wake. I cannot tell you how grateful I am that you did this. Words cannot express how beautiful I've found this song to me.

Thank you so much for this work of true beauty. You truly are a talented artist. Consider me now a huge fan of yours.

• 5 weeks later...

As some people must've noted, I was also immediately reminded of Green Day's "Time of Your Life" when I first listened to this remix. While DJP voice isn't as good as Pixietricks, that doesn't make him a bad singer by any means. The singing really compliments the feel of this remix and the meaning behind the lyrics becuase I can almost feel the emotion behind DJP's voice. The pain of being away from your hometown and yearning to get back...it's actually conveyed through the singing. The guitars are also very organic and well-played.

Ultimately, this is a very relaxing, simple, short and sweet remix that doesn't need any synths or effects to sound great. That's what we need more of in OCR.

• 4 months later...

I've listened to this song a lot since it was originally posted, and since then I've gotten better at playing the guitar. My genre of choice is the ol' folk/folk-rock style, and I've had an urge to learn to play it. Any chance you could write out a tab, or send me some sheet music for the guitar part of this?

It would make a great addition to my slowly-growing repertoire.

THought I'd already posted this here, but I guess not.

I don't have tabs, and probably won't make them in the near future (though with as many requests as I'm getting, I might make tabs eventually).

I can, however, give you the chords:

Am, C, D, G,

Am, C, D, G,

G, Am, C, D, <---Main melody starts with this line

G, Am, C, D,

Em, Bm, C, G, D,

Em, Am, C, D,

C, D, G, D, E,

Am, C, D, G,

Am, C, D, G,

Then it repeats (minus the first two lines) two more times. The brief interlude between the first and second verses is just G, Gsus5, G.

A couple of the C chords have a D thrown in on the B string, but otherwise the melody falls almost entirely within the voicing of the chords.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I often come back to this song. It is easily my favorite CT remix on the site, and possibly at the top of my list overall. The feelings of warmth and sincerity that go along with the themes of great adventure and loneliness in this song are moving at the very least, and the most this song expresses one of the fundamental trails we all go through as we come of age. A fine, heartfelt interpretation of excellent source material and a true example of what a wonderful thing a ReMix can be.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Has a very distinct 70's singer/songwriter feel to it, which is something we should hear more of on OCR. The guitar performance is solid but more of a utility role, and the vocals are well done.

I think the treble is a bit much though; it's not flaying the flesh off my body, but it could stand to be a little warmer.

edit: woah, Cyril'ed!

• 2 months later...

Really well placed lyrics djp. Quite romantic. I'm a big fan of vgremixes where the lyrics are of their own character and story. It's a bit of 'a gimme' to write vocals to a megaman mix about shooting robots with your cannon arm. It takes specific and poetic skill to craft, as you have here, imagery that might apply to the characters of Chrono Trigger but really doesn't have to.

It's something special all on it's own. It helps us gamers to keep us from embarrassing ourselves a little.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01495 - Chrono Trigger "Town Life"