Banjo-Tooie: "Mingy Jongo" Remix

davidguo

Hi, this is my first post, so I apologize for any posting errors.

I'm working on a remix for Mingy Jongo's Boss Theme in Banjo Tooie.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uascomt1jyiic7j/mingyjongoremixdraft.wav?dl=0

I will fix the velocities of the notes for more dynamic range. Also, I didn't make an ending/continuation yet. In terms of mixing, what are some things I should improve? Also, any other suggestions/feedback would be appreciated.

Edited by davidguo

Update: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wpfjeym723o9y4z/mingyjongoremixdraftv2.wav?dl=0

Original Game Audio:

I fixed the velocities, redid some instrumentation, and added a transition. I plan to make a next section that is calmer, followed by a "return" in the same spirit of the first section.

Some things I'm not sure about:

-Is the track too loud?

-Are the dynamics between sections too abrupt? If so, how do I remedy it?

-I'm trying to sidechain percussion and guitars but I'm having difficulties with some of the logistics of compression (I'm using REAPER's ReaComp), . Are there alternate ways of getting the same effect?

Edited by davidguo

Update; https://www.dropbox.com/s/oys2rs2sek1oq88/mingyjongoremixdraftv3.wav?dl=0

Comments:

-Added a middle section, and the return is at the moment identical except for key change to f minor.

-Right now, the middle section's drums are not too varied.

-The middle section's mixing will be fixed later.

-Also, I will add more harmony/stuff to the middle section once I determine how to make it more cohesive.

In addition to the questions in the previous post:

-I think I stray too far from the original around 2:00-2:30. What are some suggestions to "remain faithful" while not being repetitive?

-My transitions between sections feel abrupt. What are some things I can try to make them smoother?

Edited by davidguo

• 1 month later...

So I have revisited this track, and tried to make it sound more metal: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jyvbtpvor3dnj0e/Mingy%20Jongo%20Metal.wav?dl=0

Some of my comments:

-Removed a lot of redundant voicings.

-Added more guitars, especially a bass guitar.

-The max volume is -1 dB. I will try to fix this.

-I'm still learning compression, I would appreciate comments on what parts are not sufficient.

-I think I need to add in a bassline to give it an extra punch.

Any other suggestions or comments would be great.

Way to keep up on improving this mix each time, good job! Ok, so the good part here is the dynamic nature you've done with this remix, it's fast, it's slow, it's up, it's down I feel like there are many good ideas here, but then tend to crowed each other out, kind of a general observation. I'll just stick to one criticism here and its the drum....The drums are in need of some love, I'm not familiar with Sonar (you use Sonar right?) but maybe try and mix those drums to be a little fatter, use that equalizer and bring 'em up around the low end and maybe work on  finding a better sample for the drums, they're so quiet, maybe work on making them a little more prominent, they seem like they're a preset from a MIDI file or something,  the drums also get fast...really fast...unsustainably fast around :43 then just drop anchor and slow to a crawl. I guess if I could suggest anything it would be to ,for now, focus on the drums and work with them to get something great. For me personally, I have found once the drums start taking shape everything else seems to come together. What your doing right here, the reevaluation and improvement, is something I admire very much! Stay on it!

Thank you for the feedback.

I'm using REAPER, and MT-Power Drum Kit 2. What are your thoughts on it? It was one of the better free ones I found. I'm not sure when I'll upgrade to a paid one.

Hm, yeah I originally thought they were too loud, but I'll try messing around with them to get a good sound. I'm not a drummer so I watched some videos of metal drumming and I surprised at how fast some of them can do it...but I guess mine sounds like "gun-firing". Also will mess around with that.