Sonic- Green Hill Zone

YoshiBlade

Yep...Sanic...I'm soo ready to get FLstudio...Well here's me hobbling my way around Cubase

Thing's I think I did Right: the lead Synth and the Sound effects

Thing's I'm currently fighting with: the cymbals towards the end 1: 34 where it hits 3 times are weak, but I can't find a good sample, I layered 3 cymbals and I dislike each of them, I want that crashing final feeling of a good hit, can;t find a good sample. The background ,:51-ish and onwards, synth, feels weak, but when I adjusts the EQ it just makes it overpowering and too loud.

Things I'm not sure with, Bass? I like the tube feeling, but somethings bugging me about it.

It does cuts off abruptly, so I am aware of the need for an ending

Trying to use Google Drive as a new way of linking music...did it work?

Thank You for the listen and the help!

WIP https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B80H6SsEW90wdXU3a2VVRVVZaDQ/view?usp=sharing

Original

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a big fan of sound effects in music, but as long as they can be used subtly or musically, I'm okay with them. Here a few of them are too loud, but that's their only problem. Speaking of too loud, that's a recurring problem with elements in this mix. What I do when trying to figure out how loud something needs to be is to drop the channel fader to nothing and slowly raise it to hear when the track is as loud as it needs to be to work in that mix.

0:23, the bass is too loud. Those complimentary melody things are a bit too loud. I'd also experiment with note length in the lead; the lead can take pauses too.

0:51 super strings, yeah, I can tell it's not quite right. I would suggest EQing away the frequencies that are dominant in the lead and other foreground elements. Keeping it at a low level in the background also prevents it from becoming too huge. The timbre makes it want to jump into the foreground rather than stay behind the other things. When EQ-ing it: cut, don't boost.

1:33, a good hit comes not from layering similar sounds, but different ones, sounds that do different things. Instead of layering three cymbals, I would look for a noise or shaker I can use for length, a cymbal for timbre, and possibly a tom or something I can use for a bit more body if necessary (though that would take a bit of fiddling with to make sure it doesn't stand out too much). Layering isn't easy, but the idea is to combine the good parts of sounds, not to mask the bad parts.

Keep at it. It's one of few sound effect-heavy tracks I don't mind the sound effects in, so you're doing something right. The overall sound design, the synths at least, work well. It's mostly mixing that's the problem here. And arrangement things, if you're aiming to get it on ocr. Regardless, it's a good track to work on.