Chimpazilla

ReMixer name: Pl511
UserID: 48825

Name of game: Halo: Combat Evolved
Name of arrangement: Sierra-117
Name of song arranged: Main Theme

Link To Remix

Comments:
This mix was conceptualised about two years ago, a long time before I had enough of the software to achieve the level of quality that would do the original track justice. Since then my orchestral writing has improved pretty significantly, and - with about 10 arrangements under my belt - I finally feel like this kind of stuff is OCR standard. Most arrangements and remixes I've heard of the track lack the emotion of the original, and with this particular arrangement specifically I've been attempting to breath a little life into what is now quite a cliché track to work on. As well as a lot of variation and artistic license used throughout, I've also composed two or three melodies to accompany and serve to enhance the original main melody. Hope you all enjoy it, it's been a blast to work on!

-Pl511

This is a gorgeous track, and the samples are used quite well. There are a couple of bendy notes in the clarinet that sound fakey, but not enough to complain about. The track is a pass on production, it sounds lovely. Mastering is quiet yet appropriate.

The arrangement is very nice and includes some fitting original sections. I'm struggling with the source on this. I'm going to do a bit of a breakdown:

remix 0:00-0:38 is chord progression of source 0:38-1:02

remix 0:38-0:54 is this same chord progression plus the source melody 0:06-0:32

remix 0:54-1:30 same chord progression, but a bit harder to follow, and original melody?

1:30-1:47 source melody 0:06-0:32

1:47-2:03 I can't tell if this is from the source or original

2:03-2:22 seems to be original

2:22-2:39 seems to be original

2:39-2:57 source melody 0:06-0:32

2:57-3:15 original

3:15-3:36 source melody 0:22-0:32

I come up with 146 seconds, 146/216 is 67% source, also the chord progression of 0:38-1:02 is implied throughout, ok so there's enough methinks.

YES

• 1 month later...

On the source usage, definitely agreed with Chimpa; the short of it is that it's clear the Halo theme dominates the arrangement.

The samples clearly don't sound like real organic instruments, but Pl511 did a nice job creating a soundscape that was able to mitigate the realism issues and place the focus on the composition.

On the arrangement side, this was a very cool cinematic approach with a very different mood than the original, some parts plaintive, some parts hopeful.

For my taste, the textures plodded a little bit once the energy peaked from 1:38-2:22. That said, the entire gradual build was very well written, with subtle rises in the density and energy level, and even during the fullest parts, there was enough variation in the leads and textures to keep the track evolving.

Much like Arkimedes/Leitbur did in the past, Pl511's certainly achieved a drastically different side of Halo music. Nice job!

YES

Very nice job on the arrangement and dynamics of the piece - your orchestral elements ebb and flow around the consistent piano arpeggios in a way that reminds me of the work of

, one of my favorite pianists. The string work in your track is gorgeously articulated, and the winds, while not quite as convincing, don't detract your mix in any significant way. I found this whole piece to be very moving :-)

A few production notes - I thought your piano sounded the slightest bit overcompressed in the intro, and the wind instruments tend to get piercing to the ears when they hit the highest notes (the clarinets moreso than the flutes.) The strings are definitely the strong point of your orchestral pallet here.

None of that is a dealbreaker by any stretch of the imagination... this is a clear pass to me. Just some things I thought worth pointing out! Excellent work :-)

YES

Edited by Emunator

Not much to add to what's already been said. Getting super-realistic sound with exposed parts like this is really tough, but the mixer did a really good job. Part balancing is really well handled and the mix is reasonably clean sounding.

Really enjoying the fresh arrangement ideas you've brought to this theme. I particularly liked the chord changes in the 1:32 section. This part really sucked me into the track. Personally, and this is really nit-picky, I would've liked a bit more dramatic ending to close things out.

Excellent stuff.

YES