Found a guy re-uploading some OCR albums with money-generating links

Chernabogue

As the title says, I found a guy re-uploading some OCR albums with money-generating links. He also posts his links on forums like FF Shrine, which is known for album sharing.

His website

I spotted Maverick Rising and Chrono Symphonic. His links (from linkbucks or something like this) generates money each time someone clicks them: it's basically someone who's making money on OCR's back.

Though this could be important.

Edited by Chernabogue

• 2 weeks later...

Nice find here Chernabogue. I'm interested to see if OCR would pursue the removal of stuff from there. The site is foreign and copyright law is different in foreign countries than it is in the US, but it's also hosted on blogspot, who probably have their own standards when it comes to copyright.. it's likely OCR could request, via blogspot, the removal of stolen content. Then again, to make a copyright claim, OCR would possibly need to prove ownership of the copyright. I don't know how it works to be honest, it seems more like a claim that Capcom and Square-Enix would have to make (Mega Man and Chrono copyright owners)

Like I said, I don't know how it works, but it would be cool to see how this would be handled, if it is going to be handled.

I work for an ISP, so I can answer this.

The site is hosted on Blogspot, which is in Google's address space. Google is responsible for enforcing DMCA rules on this content. The relevant link is here:

https://support.google.com/legal/troubleshooter/1114905?hl=en

However, the DMCA requires the copyright holder to submit the complaint. Since OCR does not own the copyright of the works it hosts, the individual remixers would have to submit this for their own content. (Remixers own their own derivative works of other copyrighted media--what they can do with derivative works is another story. But they can still request DMCA takedowns.)

You don't need to "prove" ownership to submit a DMCA request. You just have to state that you own it under penalty of perjury. Proof would only come if Google failed to/chose to not enforce the takedown and it went to court. But this rarely happens, because Google would be liable in this case, so they'd have to be confident enough to be willing to go to bat (and incur legal expenses) for this random dude.

You have to be a major asshole (or too lazy to get a real job) to take free albums and try to make money off of them. This isn't typical piracy, this is just a dick being a dick to get some quick cash.

If he's posting things on FFshrine, they say that they'll remove the links if the album owners or composers file a complaint.