BadAss: Boss Themes: Volume I - History

Pi_R_Squared

No problem, I'll go do that now.

While I'm posting, let me bring up a question, if someone wants to give me a bit of help. A third joke boss, if you will. Something that causes problems, without being a boss. For example, Katamari Damacy might be a certain cumbersome object, or Harvest Moon might be plain old Winter. Any suggestions?

ed]No problem, I'll go do that now.

While I'm posting, let me bring up a question, if someone wants to give me a bit of help. A third joke boss, if you will. Something that causes problems, without being a boss. For example, Katamari Damacy might be a certain cumbersome object, or Harvest Moon might be plain old Winter. Any suggestions?

I like the Winter idea...

I'd like to give Gruntilda a shot. I think it would make a good prog-rock song. So, maybe even collab with LuIzA wit dis, yo. so, yeah, sign me up for Grunty.

that'd be cool.. hit me up if ya want me geetawrs!

Not meaning to overload you in collab requests, but your name has been mentioned a few times in the thread to the Gary Oak remix, and I've been thinking in doing it in a fast upbeat boogie/rock'n roll style (even though Tallest, the guy I'm collabing with on it, probably hasn't heard my version of it yet).

It would be cool if it could be done in the style of Joe Satriani (if that name doesn't ring any bells, download his 'satch boogie', it should give you a good idea for what I'm aiming at :)), and since you're so proficient at playing guitar (probably more than me :oops: ), I'd love to have you playing (at least some of) the lead guitar for it. :P

gah, here I go again with the long posts.. :roll:

I'd like to give Gruntilda a shot. I think it would make a good prog-rock song. So, maybe even collab with LuIzA wit dis, yo. so, yeah, sign me up for Grunty.

that'd be cool.. hit me up if ya want me geetawrs!

Not meaning to overload you in collab requests, but your name has been mentioned a few times in the thread to the Gary Oak remix, and I've been thinking in doing it in a fast upbeat boogie/rock'n roll style (even though Tallest, the guy I'm collabing with on it, probably hasn't heard my version of it yet).

It would be cool if it could be done in the style of Joe Satriani (if that name doesn't ring any bells, download his 'satch boogie', it should give you a good idea for what I'm aiming at :)), and since you're so proficient at playing guitar (probably more than me :oops: ), I'd love to have you playing (at least some of) the lead guitar for it. :P

gah, here I go again with the long posts.. :roll:

Ive just listened to your version. Ahh! Thats insane! I Love It! I'm gonna post of my opinion at the forum, but yeah! Woo!

I don't know why the forums wouldn't have sent you a confirmation email yet, but why don't you post the WIP here for now, as others have done?

And let me point out something that is becoming all too clear. As projects develop and grow, they begin to take on a life of their own. I now realise this project, while still about bosses, is hardly centered around evil. Believe me, this isn't a problem, especially when I get to hear Gary's theme done in the current path it's going. Now, I don't want anyone losing site of the goal, so I'm readjusting it:

MAKE BOSS MUSIC SOUND LIKE BOSS MUSIC, WHETHER THAT IMPLIES EVIL, INSANITY, BAD-ASSNESS, KICK-ASSNESS, POWER, WHATEVER.

We've got some good examples popping up that show exactly what Im talking about, both positive and negative. Finding the right way to set a piece is great, but stretching things to fit isn't always the best course of action. Any questions? I think this is a good move, or rather, I sure hope so.

Look at it this way, we ride this stay as long as we can, because we're getting the most attention here. If we switched out now, we couldn't get front page exposure, we wouldn't get glanced at, only by people in WIPs anyway. It's if and when we start to stagnate that we switch, to give ourselves a jumpstart.

If someone needs a classically trained baritone voice, I would be willing to record for them. All I'd need is lyrics and a tune (but I'd really prefer sheet music, if possible).

Well, I was thinking about doing a Ramriez/Zelos one in my own Baritone voice if I had the time, but since your classicly trained.....

Well, If Ive got time after the Garry Oak and Andross ones, I might arrange something for you.

Hey guys. I decided that I do the same as PI did, and would write some small reviews of all the current WIPS. I wrote exactly what I thought, and I do not sugar coat anything, so don't be offended (i'm sure most of you won't ). Make sure you check where you are on the botom of this post, and Consider that the official opinion of where your mix stands. We are at the stage where your mix should be of quality, even though this project is relatively young.

BOWSER: Leepmeister

HUGE Improvement on this song. Nicely done. The thing that needs work now is mastering: compression/EQ, and all that. The guitar could be a lot heavier too. The drum samples also are too waek right now (EQ and volume would help). If the drums drive this song and everything is louder and a little more aggressive, i'd be totally satisfied. Also, that last note of the song sounded odd...anyway, Keep up the good work. :)

DARK GAIA: James George

"Still just a midi rip..." That needs to change soon. The sounds you have are decent but theres way too much machine gun repetition going on, mainly because you midi ripped. Brass could also be way louder. Need to add some reverb to everything, and add depth so it sounds like your orchestra is in a concert hall or studio. A little on the strings and lots more on the brass/percussion gives this illusion. You could also change stereo width to make it even more realistic. Hope to hear some new stuff soon...

DR. NEO CORTEX: Rexy

I dig some of the ideas here. It's unique in a lot of ways. I just think some parts sound empty, but its a WIP so thats explainable. That odd plucky lead also got on my nerves after a while. If you can, use the electric guitar more and that annoying pluck less. It'd be really cool if you had some real guitar playing in there too. Might help to fill out the sound a bit more.

SIGMA: Doomsday

I like this one too, but when the breakbeat comes in, and that low synth plays, it seems there isnt enough happening. Here's my suggestion: That melody that plays in the beginning and end, on the wierd Sytrus like synth needs to come back in the middle of the song and get really intense(preferably on a sytnth that is more like the ones you use later in the song). If that wouldve happened, then this track would be in the clear, but it just bored me. I really do like the sound you have achieved, but there needs to be that slightly epic little part where the theme comes back. Right now, its too long and not varied in that mid section. The length could also stand to be cut down a litte.

GANONDORF: Cerrax

This is one of my favorites when it gets going. This is an example of what fast paced orchestral should be. I already commented on the xylo being too monotonous and everything needing more accents. In addition id like to hear some brass rips and more staccato brass too. More PERCUSSION! Very good job overall. I'd like to hear a new WIP soon.

GARY OAK: Tensei-San/the-almighty-tallest(collab)

Listening to both tiny little clips you guys made, Tensei-San's is the one you guys should use. The other is, not very boss like at all. I hope you guys have gotten some stuff done together since this is a collab.

GRUNTILDA: The Joker

I like the ideas but slayer really is awful. There has to be a better preset than that lol. Some of the notes on the cellos in the intro sound odd too. Overall, there isn't much here yet to critique.

M.BISON: pu_freak

The first 30 seconds got me involved...i really appriciate the sound you have. The piano and chimes make it even better, and I got more excited, but after 2:00, this neets to go somewhere...the build is too long. take everything you have done and condense it slightly. And PLEASE MAKE THE SNARE SAMPLE BLEND. Pan to center. Reverb. That's it. The piece then dies a little at 2;30......AND THERE'S a SECOND INTRO! This is getting rediculous!!! This piece builds up for over 2 minutes, dies down, builds up and finally gets there ( i know theres no drums yet). THat is imply too much. As a listener, I do not feel I hould have to patiently wait for your song to do something. You have to keep me interested. That "C" section does not even need to be there.... Very very nice job on the first half. I

love it, but it needs to jump in after the intro, not die down and build. If you build MORE into the two minute mark (double the string octaves, more percussion, etc.), make a slight pause and have the mix kick in, it'd be amazing. More high strings doesn't mean violins playing in the upper register, but use of the violas/violins in the low range. Its all bass/cello right now. If you can find a more dark and full chime sample that'd be great. If you cant there's ways to make that one sound better. And back to the end, 3:13-4:13 sounds sloppy compared to the first half, which is done much more well.

You have a ton of great content that you have created here. Plase use it effectivley. You can tell I think this has potential by all the capital letters in my post :lol: .

SATUROS AND MENARDI: rpggamer180

I cannot tell what this mess is. Its a completley unmusical thing thats hard to listen to. The chords on the "chainsaw cello" are too thick, and you need a cello SECTION. After that nothing matches at all. Its so dissonant...it makes me feel really queezy and disoriented and like i'm the scene of some bad horror movie about to get a limb sawed off. I dont know what else to say. Its horrible and im not going to lie. The original is a rather fast paced mix, and this does not do it. There's also a saturos and menardi battle theme that might be a beter choice for mixing. Either is good, and you need to do something with this fast.

SEPHIROTH: Tensei-San

I did not like the little organ intro, once its over it's fine. I won't comment on sound since it's midi. The later sections in this piece( like 2:18 to the end) are really cool, and id like to hear real instruments sometime in the future. The crazy frantic psycho aspect of this piece is something that makes this track so cool.

SINISTRALS: avaris

When the guitar kicks in, it's like "Hell yeah", but Real guitar for this piece would be amazing. The one you have now sounds so empty. The strings are also mushy, and a staccato sample would be way better. Thats my gripe with this...it's too empty. I just think you need more instruments playing.

GIGLAMESH: pu_freak

SAME problem as your M. Bison WIP. It just takes too long to get there. Although it's not quite as good sounding as M.Bison...

SLOPRANO: Sleepy Emp

This is really epic for a joke boss, haha. Not a bad thing though. I just wish there was a way for you to incorporate those lyrics. Find someone who will sing lol.

OF QUALITY FOR PROJECT:

Nothing yet. Too early, and we have a lot of improvements to make.

VERY GOOD:

BOWSER: Leepmeister

GANONDORF: Cerrax

SLOPRANO: Sleepy Emp

SIGMA: Doomsday

NEEDS SOME WORK, BUT IN THE CLEAR:

DR. NEO CORTEX: Rexy

GIGLAMESH: pu_freak

M.BISON: pu_freak

SINISTRALS: avaris

SEPHIROTH: Tensei-San

NOT UP TO PROJECT STANDARDS:

GARY OAK: Tensei-San/the-almighty-tallest(collab) not enough done!

SATUROS AND MENARDI: rpggamer180

DARK GAIA: James George (midi rip)

GRUNTILDA: The Joker (needs more)

If you are in the middle two, you're fine. Keep working at it and soon these tracks will be amazing. If you are in the bottom category, you need to do something about this quickly, or if I have reviewed an old crappy WIP, send a new one to me and PI immediatley. I will try to update this post from time to time, and put that quality list on the first post. Good luck to everyone and keep working.

Hey guys, as i said, I'm still in for a different track on this, but I can't think of any bosses to do, is there anything you can think of for a guitar based mix?

Also, if any help is needed on the sephy mix or gary oak I'm available for that. Sorry about the fuss over dark force.

You could do a guilty gear boss (Justice/Dizzy/I-NO). They would a suit a guitar-based mix very well.

Kanjika, quick question. The version of my song you wrote about is that the last version I posted on the public forums and the one I pm'ed you?

I'm assuming it is, bc I am already in the process of getting real guitar work done for it from Tensei. There is a whole page on the private forums where we are discussing the real guitar work.

The latest version has a lot to it. My old version was quite empty I do agree. If you are talking about my latest version, then I'd like to go into a more in depth conversation on it. There are more harmonies I already have written I can add in, but it would muddy up the whole soundscape etc...So let me know wats up so we can make this song better.

Also I'm guilty of this too, but guys we really need to try and comment on each other's mixes more. If you guys really want this project to kick ass we really need to help each other out. Even if a mix is really good and you can't say anything. Then just tell the artist that their mix is good, and if you can point out the parts in the song that aren't your favorites. For my mixes I listen to them so much working on em I loose the ability towards the end of them to tell what parts are good and what parts are bad.

WHahahaha. Fishy I got a song you might be interested in doin as a rock mix.

VGMusic is down, so you'll have to go to Blue Laguna to check it out.

'Meridian Dance' (41)from Secret of Mana is def screaming for a rock song. The source tune is already is beautifully composed.

Also check out the 'The Curse' (36) for some nice backing you could use in the intro.

• Liontamer changed the title to BadAss: Boss Themes: Volume I - History