BadAss: Boss Themes: Volume I - History

Pi_R_Squared

Alright, I've ripping Golden Silver's theme from the game. Now the hard part...figuring out the time sig, chords...blah blah blah. I think the time's in 5/4, but I can't exactly tell. It's extremely weird. But I'm doing my best to figure it all out.

Send me the file. I can probably figure out the time sig...

Haha, no witchcraft (though I should've thought of that before). I'm at my Dad's right now.

Either way, Escariot, the way I got it was by ripping it from the actual game using a Genesis emulator and the game ROM...which is legal since I own both anyways. (I've had Gunstar Heroes since I was like 8...so that's 10 years, almost 11 this April ^^)

Anywho, as for links to both (assuming you own them), www.romnation.net

Dash Myoku: ROMs are illegal to trade/download/upload even if you own the original. Even the legality of making your own backups is dubious at best, considering that game backup devices are, in fact, considered copyright violations in the USA.

From Wikipedia: "However, in the U.S. it has been illegal since 1983 for a user to create their own backups of video game ROMs. This was decided in the court case of Atari v. JS&A. JS&A manufactured a "game backup" device that allowed users to dump their Atari ROMs onto a blank cartridge. JS&A argued that the archival rule allowed for this. The court disagreed, noting that ROM media was not subject to the same volatility as magnetic media (for which the law was created). Thus, not being so relatively vulnerable, ROMs were not applicable under section 17 USC 117." The web address to that link is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROM_image#Games_owned_by_the_user

Please correct me if I (and Wikipedia) am (likely) wrong.

Plus, you linked right to a rom sharing site. That's pretty much fair game for being banned in any US-operated forum.

Well, I suppose you mean well. Other than implying that a project member should be banned...:confused:

I have no idea of the validity of any of the statements you - or by proxy, Wikipedia made, since I really have no interest in law, unfortunately. Nor do I really want to derail a project thread into an argument over the legality of video game emulation. It does occur to me to be though, this may be a cumbersome way to extract a single music file. An mp3 of Golden Silver's theme can be found here.

Haha, Linking to romnation wont get you banned. I'd think you'd have to do something a little more extreme than that to even be warned. Ripping music from ROMs is kind of pointless

OMG WWW.VGMUSIC.COM .

Fuck they don't have Gunstar heroes

Thank you for clearing that up.

Oh and I wasn't trying to threaten banination (I don't even have that power). Just trying to give a little IANAL legal advice & clear up some long-running misconceptions about copyright law in the emulation community. Sorry if it came out the wrong way.

For the record, I do support emulation and I know the origins of this site. I just want to make sure people know what they're doing, as well as raise awareness about stupid legal decisions. This is probably not the best place to talk about that kind of thing.

Now let's get back to talking about the project, before my one-off tangent post gets out of hand and derails the discussion. Like finding music files of various classic game tunes.

I should really triple-check my posts more often.

Yeah, I don't know much about the legal stuff with emulation. But I read on one site (maybe Emuparadise) that if you own the system and game, it's alright to download them. But hey, no one said anything about it being legal.

Anyways, no progress yet on Golden Silver's theme yet. This is the time I wish there was a MIDI out there. ><

To the person who posted the link to vgmusic. Yeah, that's a good site, but some of the MIDI's on there suck...like, a lot. I'm actually really surprised that they don't have any Gunstar Heroes MIDIs. That's like...THE best game for the Genesis.

To the person who posted the link to vgmusic. Yeah, that's a good site, but some of the MIDI's on there suck...like, a lot. I'm actually really surprised that they don't have any Gunstar Heroes MIDIs. That's like...THE best game for the Genesis.

They don't have to be that great in order for you to get an idea of the contents of the song. Often times, I don't use the MIDI as it allows you to use a little TOO much of the original material. Using only an original track forces you to improve your listen/writing skills.

But, do it howevevr you prefer. Whatever method you use to make your music sound its best is fine.

They don't have to be that great in order for you to get an idea of the contents of the song. Often times, I don't use the MIDI as it allows you to use a little TOO much of the original material. Using only an original track forces you to improve your listen/writing skills.

But, do it howevevr you prefer. Whatever method you use to make your music sound its best is fine.

I agree, actually. I'm just a really lazy person when it comes to producing a remix. I like to try and get results as fast and effeciently as possible. So usually, I don't like to sit around for hours, trying to figure out a track when I can just use a MIDI as a reference. ^^;

ATTENTION REMIXERS.

After discussion with Pi, The new project WIP date is set for FEBRUARY 24th. ALL remixers, regardles of sign on date must show very significant progress by this date. The last date was November 19th, so this is date is giving you almost a month and a half from today, and over 3 months from the last one. That means there should be NO reason you don't have a lot more done.

• Liontamer changed the title to BadAss: Boss Themes: Volume I - History