BadAss: Boss Themes: Volume I - History

Pi_R_Squared

• 1 month later...

I'm available to the project for quality control, as a provider of critique (I'd be happy to leave the actual gatekeeping to others, though). You guys seemed to be impressed of my crits on the Tales feedback thread, and seeing as this is a project that's going to have a fresh re-start, it would be exciting to be able to provide crits from the beginning. I'd sure love to remix as well, but I can commit to QC.

--Eino

• 3 weeks later...

BadAss

The Boss Themes Project Volume 1

Trailer:

BadAss Volume 1 is now locked in! We're this much closer to unleashing hell on an unassuming populace! Can you feel it?! Can you hear it?! Thats the sound of Ass kickery of a magnitude previously unheard of! We're gonna change the OCR remix project game!

So, yeah, Ass Kickery!

PURPOSE

The reason for this project is to make an album that celebrates the awesomeness, as well as kick-assery, of the Villains of the games we love. Why, you might ask. Simple, I'd respond, ”Cause they're badassed, that‘s why.” Boss & Mini boss themes, Mini Boss Battle themes, & Villain character themes are the order of the day. Other tracks from the respective game can also be added to add some flavor, as long as the meat & potatoes are the Bosses theme.

GENRE

Although I'd like to allow a wide range of styles for this project, I'd like to keep it in the dark, aggressive territory. A spiritual sequel to Dark Side of Phobos, in a sense. I'd like anything from ominous, creepy ambient trip hop (like Akira Yamaoka), to aggressive rock, to bombastic pounding orchestral, to fight electronica (kinda like TCM or Prodigy), & genre mashes filled with awesomeness. Basically music that sets the stage for ass-kickery (hardcore style).

TRACKS SELECTION

So, track selection is open. You can choose any boss theme, from any game, even if it's not listed. To reiterate, if you want to do a theme that's not listed, let me know, & based on how good your wip is, I'll add it. No one is a sure thing until I or a another coordinator (at a future date) tells you, which means even if you get a track up, if someone comes along that's a bit better, then, we have a old west duel. Best "shooter", or in this case track, wins. Best in this case not necessarily the most pro sounding, but the most creative & evocative of the project. Also, access to the Boss Themes sub forum at http://www.kngi.org/phpbb3/index.php(it's a new urly). You know you wants it!

Project Director: The Joker

2nd Unit Director: pu_freak

BadAss: Volume 1

01. pu_freak - Master of The Blades(Final Fantasy 5 - Gilgamesh)

02. RoeTaKa - The Curse of Yamato (DMC3 - Vergil)

03. The Dual Dragons - Routine of War (MGS4 - Laughing Octopus)

04. Big Giant Circles - Duel of the Apes (Donkey Kong GB - Donkey Kong)

05. Arcana - To Slay a Butcher (Suikoden 2 - Luca Blight)

06. Lashmush - Light Out (Link's Awakening - Shadow Link)

07. Skummel Maske - All Existence Denied (Final Fantasy 8 - The Extreme)

08. Jago - A Daring Escape (Mega Man 3 - Wiley)

09. Chernabogue, Nintenjoe 64 - The Belmont Revolution (Castlevania Series - Dracula)

10. The Dual Dragons - Astaroth's Awakening (Shadow Hearts Covenant - Astaroth)

11. Nutritious - Real American Hero (GI Joe NES - Boss 1)

12. Rozovian - Dragonfood (Metroid Series - Ridley)

13. Mazedude - Saren's Prayer (Mass Effect - Saren)

14. Brandon Strader - Dreams of Death (FFX - Jecht)

15. Sixto - The Shredder (Turtles in Time - Shredder)

16. PrototypeRaptor - BadAzz (Final Fantasy 7- Sephiroth)

17. Kidd Cabbage - The Sound of a Thousand Voices Screaming in Unison (Final Fantasy 6 - Kefka)

18. The Joker - The Last Dance (Kirby Series - King DeDeDe)

Volume 2 (Confirmed WIPS)

Confirmed WIP

The Joker, Luiza - Gruntilda (Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie)

Level 99, pu_freak - Baby Bowser(Super Mario world 2)

DJ Mokram - Nemesis(RE3)

Unconfirmed

Theophany - Molgera (Wind Waker)

Danton F - Boss Theme (Super Mario RPG)

Protricity - Boss theme (TMNT)

Monobrow - Claus (Mother 3)

Demonstray - Gateway to Destiny (Eternal Darkness)

The Vagrance - Sigma Battle (Mega Man X5)

Snappleman - Final Boss (Romancing SaGa 3)

bustatunez - CP Violation (HL2)

Jose The Bronx Rican - Phantom (Thunder Force IV)

Monobrow - The Doctor (Cave Story)

norg - Ganon (Zelda Series)

I love the idea of a boss theme project, but I don't like the way you're approaching it.

90% of all video games have a boss of some kind or another. It's pretty much a staple of all games in popular genres today. To me, this seems like a great opportunity to remix boss themes from games which haven't seen daylight here at OCR, and to focus on different themes rather than boss characters, especially those from very popular games which have likely been remixed several times already. If I were you, I'd expand the project to something ten times this size and start pulling in

from all over the

requires some more...

Earthbound - Pokey Means Business

Live-A-Live - Pure Odio

Rudra no Hihou - Battle of the Last Enemy ~ Final Conflict

Golden Axe - Death Adder

TMNT (NES) - Mini-Boss music

Double Dragon 2 - Boss music

Streets of Rage 2 - Max Man

Bahamut Lagoon - The Last Battle

Contra 3 - Boss Theme

...ORSMTH

but yeah, aside from my own selfish desires this is what I like to see. not just sticking to one single game and doing the WHOLE soundtrack, but rather taking what's good from several games and focusing on that.

NEWSFLASH :: typically a whole soundtrack is not worthy enough of getting remixed. there ARE exceptions though... like The Magic of Scheherazade. lolololz

I think some people missed the part where I said that I'd add more bosses as the project went, & artists wanted to do them. I really want SoR2's boss themes in there as well, someone just has to say they want it, & show me a wip.

i just really put the bosses off the top of my head on the list, I really hope this gets bigger & gets more obscure boss themes.

i just really put the bosses off the top of my head on the list, I really hope this gets bigger & gets more obscure boss themes.

Works for me! I guess the only thing I'd say there then is that we keep it focused on boss themes rather than the themes of certain bosses (if that makes sense).

I guess the only thing I'd say there then is that we keep it focused on boss themes rather than the themes of certain bosses (if that makes sense).

I don't know what you're talking about, but I agree completely nonetheless.

Still, I can't help but feel compelled to

boss

Maybe inspiration will strike, who knows?

I don't know what you're talking about, but I agree completely nonetheless.

If we keep our focus to specific bosses, that's inherently limiting. Rather than saying, "Oh, I like this boss character. I wonder how many times we fight him and what the music is when we do," we should say, "These are some kickass boss themes. We should totally remix them." Many of the boss themes I linked were "regular" boss themes and not associated with any particular boss. And also, it means that lesser-seen games which have awesome themes have the chance to be remixed, rather than the already famous boss themes and characters everyone knows.

That would open the project up a lot, and I think that's what the Joker wants.

Just a few suggestions:

Eternal Darkness:

Sonic Adventure 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHE4ddQmaAk&feature=related

Viewtiful Joe:

Paper Mario:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhWvs0rccAI&feature=PlayList&p=CEC67A2ED4EF7E2C&index=4

Pokémon Stadium:

Kirby Canvas Curse:

Final Fantasy VIII:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka2Ek-g8Sxk

Yoshi's Island:

Super Mario Galaxy:

House of the Dead:

Many of the boss themes I linked were "regular" boss themes and not associated with any particular boss. And also, it means that lesser-seen games which have awesome themes have the chance to be remixed, rather than the already famous boss themes and characters everyone knows.

Exactly. Like the Zelda OoT mini boss theme is not specific to anyone, but it's still a boss theme, so I'd take it.

Also, BGC, that's awesome. If you could do anything, that'd be sweet, if not, it's still cool you checked us out.

Seeing as everyone is tossing out suggestions/ideas, I'll toss in some for inspriation.

Paper Mario: TTYD (Doopliss)

Metroid Prime Final Battle (Prime Head)

Super Mario RPG (Fight Against An Armed Boss)

Super Paper Mario (Bleck)

KOTOR (Darth Malak)

and the Great Giant Poo.

• Liontamer changed the title to BadAss: Boss Themes: Volume I - History