BadAss: Boss Themes: Volume I - History

Pi_R_Squared

Arek, you keep stressing that I should research other site projects. Since you already are in the "special thanks" section, maybe you could help out some more, and PM me what I need to know. Short of downloading most of the currently available projects, reading some of the Site Project forums, and checking the Wikipedia entries, I'm not sure where else to get help.

ed]Arek, you keep stressing that I should research other site projects. Since you already are in the "special thanks" section, maybe you could help out some more, and PM me what I need to know. Short of downloading most of the currently available projects, reading some of the Site Project forums, and checking the Wikipedia entries, I'm not sure where else to get help.

I can give you a few pointers:

Have the time and dedication - Make sure you have enough time to coordinate a site project to its full completion. These projects often take upwards of a year to complete (Hedgehog Heaven took two and a half!), and can be extremely draining if you aren't prepared to take on the workload. You'll need to recruit remixers (this means sending out PMs and emails): Don't be afraid of rejections, as you'll likely get a lot of 'em. It is a good way to get the project out there, though, and it at least lets people know what you're working on. Make a big list of potential remixer recruits and talk to all of them.

Communication is important - Always make sure to stay in contact with the people who are involved in your project on a regular basis. If you don't do this, your project will fail, guaranteed.

Recruit a co-coordinator - Someone you can fall back on to run the project in case of an emergency, and just someone to pitch some general ideas to is very helpful. Maybe try to get someone who is strong is an area you aren't. For example: If you're not very good at artwork, recruit an artist as a co-coordinator (this is what I did :P), or even just as a general staff member to do artwork. Either way, someone to discuss project issues and ideas with helps your chances of project success.

I think that's about all I got. Just thought I'd help out a bit. :)

pm ya, nah, posting it here would help more since others can see it too.

When I say "do some research", I am meaning that you should go check out the other site projects and "study" how they are. Get the "feel" of how to make one by their example.

Perfect examples of projects done right:

Rise of the star

Dark side of Phobos

Doom 2 remix project

Once you have read through those for a little and gathered how they were ran and how they got successful, then you can go ahead and start your project.

I am by no means saying you aren't qualified, but rather I am saying you should get a little "experience" gathered before starting.

gl homie g dawg

EDIT:

Co-coordinator is a god send and communication is like your backbone. Without it, it will fall apart faster than you can say "la project".

Ok, now I'm freaked out.

Those pages are way cleaner and more official than this, and now I'm not sure waht I'm doing.

Arek, KyleJCrb, is it just me, or did you both just request a co-coordinator status? I'd have no problem giving the title away, you both seem to know what you're doing to a much higher degree than I do. But I can't decide. Arek, you have posted here more, and you're working on another project already, so there's some experience, but I don't want to overwork you from working on two projects at once. If you're up for it, the positions yours.

So, if you accept, maybe you can start guiding us along, so I can remove myself from the corner in my room, rocking myself back into sanity...

ed]Arek, KyleJCrb, is it just me, or did you both just request a co-coordinator status? I'd have no problem giving the title away, you both seem to know what you're doing to a much higher degree than I do. But I can't decide. Arek, you have posted here more, and you're working on another project already, so there's some experience, but I don't want to overwork you from working on two projects at once. If you're up for it, the positions yours.

I'm not requesting any type of coordinator status, since I have my own project that's keeping me more than busy enough at this point. I just happen to really like the idea you have here and want to see you succeed, so I just thought I'd give you a few pointers. ;)

I'd be willing to help out with anything if needed also. I usually spend a good amount of time on this board not doing much of anything, so I would gladly use some of that tome for this.

And I might not choose a Robotnik boss theme even though i'm a Sonic fan. I've remixed a lot of Sonic tracks already. Too early to tell anything though...

Hmm...how about you have a theme, like, traveling through the years of memorable bosses?

For instance, the first of the bosses to be introduced to videogames (Bowser/Ganon) would have the first track, then the next (Mother Brain/Ridley), then the next, more and more into the future, until the most recent boss theme is the last one. That would also sort of go with the theme of "Crescendo to Chaos"...a gradual rise from the low end to the high end (timeline-wise).

Or, you could do the same thing, only with the indelibility of the bosses...lesser ones (King Dedede, K.Rool, etc.) go first, and then the bigger baddies come last (Magus, Sephiroth, Bowser, etc.). Of course, their ranks as memorable bosses would have to be voted on before a track order is assigned, but that's another matter.

Of the two, I like the first one better. Seems more like a "journey through gaming" sort of idea. And that would also help narrow down the options of bosses...take one or two from each year (unless a bunch of really really good ones came out all at once) until you have a refined list of kickass baddies. A plethora, even.

Just an idea.

~.C.S.~

Claado, I think I like that second idea of yours.

So, how would we go about putting things to a vote? If I'm not mistaken, isn't there a way to make a new thread into a poll? Because asking for posts here might get a little messy.

Not saying your first idea wasn't good, but things ordering by date would throw off the balance. Ending with Bowser, Sephiroth, etc. would really be exciting. Listening from small bosses, bigger...bigger, then HUGE bosses, known worldwide. Thats the meaning of the title of this album.

Tru dat. Of course, we need to narrow the list dramatically...so the project leader (for right now, you) needs to get some outside input, and come up with a resolute list of bosses. I'd suggest you keep it under 35, but over 25...don't wanna kick out some good contenders. Your call, though.

Also, if you don't mind me saying, I wouldn't start a "poll" necessarily...that would lead to a LOT of votes for one guy (or group of baddies), and a bunch would be left in the dark. I suggest you come up with your list, and then ask people to rank the bosses in order of memorability, assigning a number value to each rank (a la PRC). Then tally up the points and come up with a listing.

I sure hope this thing takes off. It's a great idea, and a lot of good ideas around here never go anywhere. Let's hope you don't fall prey to the same fate.

~.C.S.~

...so the project leader (for right now, you)...

What? "For right now"? Don't tell me you're serious. Is there really a possibility of me losing out to someone else on my own project?

That aside, I must bring up a point previously made. I haven't played every game ever. I am not familiar with every boss. If left to me, the tracks in this album would end up being centered on Nintendo, limiting other companies and platforms. I would need more suggestions to get into this project, somehow. But I don't want this thread ending up flooded with dozens of people going "53p1r07h 15 73h H4x00r", or whatever, but I don't want to miss out on any overlooked bosses, either. How should I go about getting worthwhile input?

Another idea I had a short while ago, is that the album could contain multiple disks, like so:

mini-bosses -> (Koopalings)

Less known final bosses -> (Baby Bowser)

Well known final bosses -> (Bowser)

Famous hidden bosses -> (Culex)

Just an example

Of course, 4 disks is WAY too much, and I'm not sure I want to fully implement this idea. But, I thought I might as well post it to see what kind of feedback I get.

Besides, I'd rather have this based on famous bosses, and not bother with minibosses

EDIT: Btw, no one reserve K. Rool or Neo Cortex just yet. Hopefully this will pull through, so I'll explain why when the time comes.

well... I see you have a problem with "boss overdose"... but it can't be helped... and I feel that I need to post a few suggestions:

- Deus (Xenogears)

- the Sinistrals (Lufia 2, maybe 1 as well)

- Gilgamesh (FF5, not the final one, but a kickass one)

sorry about trying to increase the size of your problem! :oops:

ed]
...so the project leader (for right now, you)...

What? "For right now"? Don't tell me you're serious. Is there really a possibility of me losing out to someone else on my own project?

Oops. What I meant was, "for right now, JUST YOU" considering that you mentioned previously somebody helping you out at the reins. I was simply implying that ATM, you're filling this position alone. I have no doubt you will continue to hold the position for the duration of the project. :oops:

Hope that clears it up. 8)

~.C.S.~

ed]ATTENTION: I am looking for a Co-coordinator, preferably with an extensive knowledge of OCR's (and similar sites) well known artists, and good people skills. If interested, PM me. Know that responsibility and dedication come with this title!
I would be glad to be your co-coordinator, but I can't be entitled to do that.

Lemmie chip in with some project leader tips, since apparently my project falls under "successful site project." :P

- Paitence. Having a good song is sooo much better than dropping a mixer early on cause they couldn't meet a deadline. Make deadlines flexible but don't let people step all over you. Constant check ups on mixers may be annoying but they keep everyone in check and remind people that you're in charge.

- Dedication. A half assed project is just that. You better expect to put in a lot of hours of work on this, keep in touch with your mixers, micromanage all the different aspects (art, promotion, torrent distro, mirrors, etc) or else your project will fail miserably.

- Be prepared for drammma. You will not escape it. With mixers, fans, everyone. There will be drama and as project leader, you will have to deal with it.

- Make it look good. This probably wont apply to you now, but eventually your project will be released and it had damn well better look good. Get a nice website, make sure all your tags are uniform and neat, make sure the torrent is nice and clean, all that jazz. Presentation is a huge part of the project.

- Have reliable back ups on hand. Sometimes a mixer will have to drop and there's nothing you can do about it. At least two or three tracks on DSoP were made after the original mixer had to drop for some reason or another and it always helps to have good people you can call on to effectively mix what you need in a short amount of time. Said people saved my project.

- Be prepared for stress. Especially as release nears, expect a lot of stress in many forms.

- Be prepared for harsh criticism. If you can't take harsh critics, you're headed for a bumpy road. No matter what you do, there will always be people that won't like it. Get used to it.

That's all I got at the moment. Hope it helps.

Now, speaking of unique projects, I'd love to get a hip hop/rap one going, but I wouldn't have the pull within the community to the artists that would do it justice..

I wonder who would?

Ok, Im gonna make this quick.

Arek - Im putting "/culex" onto the list, but should I do that, or keep FF4's soundtrack? They are both the same music, so, which boss (culex or the FF4 guy) is more "badass"?

ocremixfan - Those 3 are on the list.

Quizzledorf - I already answered that. If it's the same boss, yes, a medley can be done. If the gradius games have different bosses each time, then no.

Claado Shou - Sorry about the confusion. You just freaked me out.

Rexy - Thanks for posting like I asked. Now do you see why I asked no one reserve N. Cortex?

Nineko - Thanks anyway. If you dont wish be a co-coordinator, but still hang around and help, I'd be happy for the assistance.

myf - Big help. That sums up a lot of what I need to know. Dedication is important, I know that. Along with "Make it look Good", I ask:

Does anyone here (or anyone you know) have any connections at deviantArt, or a similar site that could set up the album covers and website when the time comes?

And, everyone whos been a big help, thanks. Im glad to see that everyone posting is as enthusiastic about this project as I am.

If theres anything not covered here, tell me. Otherwise, lets get back to work hammering out the details. C'mon, I need more Remixers!

Also, PM me if you have a boss you want to see in the game. I think what Ill do is get a list of 40-60 bosses, have people rank them, and the top 25~35 will make it into the album. What do you think?

ed]Nineko - Thanks anyway. If you dont wish be a co-coordinator, but still hang around and help, I'd be happy for the assistance.
don't misread my words.

I would be GLAD to be your co-coordinator and help you especially with the technical stuff (mp3 tagging and everything mentioned by myf), and maybe also for the website.

problem is, I CANNOT get such a position, because I've been banned.

still, I'll try to drop here a wip of some Robotnik theme asap. :)

How would someone even end up banned? What could you have done that's that bad? Or, maybe you just pissed off the wrong guy...

So, can you have any title, or even a presence in special thanks? Maybe Ill whip out a thesaurus and make up a title for you:

Associative Correlative Technical Assistant?

Or, whatever. It's not the title thats important. The help from you is more than enough.

And, I assume this means you are taking Robotnik? If I can ask this early, is it from one game or a medley? I wouldn't be able to pick that out immediately. The genre would be obvious.

IMPORTANT!!!

Robotnik, Bowser, Sephiroth, are all definatley on the album! Others (Gary Oak, Capt. Syrup, Gruntilda) will be decided once 30~40 bosses are ammased as candidates! DO NOT pick a track without posting your choice, and waiting for confirmation, no matter how sure you are that they will be on the album!!

• Liontamer changed the title to BadAss: Boss Themes: Volume I - History