OCR01496 - Legend of Zelda "Hyrule's Angel (The Sleeping Beauty)"

djpretzel

I think it rocks. Nice to see these guys again. They should be more well known for being such a great band. Killer stuff. :D

The transition between the main theme and the dungeon theme is really nice too. Great lyrics. Male/female vocals are cool too. Everything's just great, but I didn't expect any less.

Edit: After listening to this song four times, I have concluded that it is a masterpiece. Yep. Just thought I'd add that in.

I didn't like the intro to this song, even though I overall liked the rest of it. Something about describing Zelda with the "Huuuuuuuuuur SKIIIIIIIIIIIIN" opening the sentence just made me wince.

I still don't understand the severe drop in production quality - having bought both CDs, mostly it's just the second demo.

But I liked the rest of the song, and I'm glad it was accepted.

I didn't like the intro to this song, even though I overall liked the rest of it. Something about describing Zelda with the "Huuuuuuuuuur SKIIIIIIIIIIIIN" opening the sentence just made me wince.

I still don't understand the severe drop in production quality - having bought both CDs, mostly it's just the second demo.

But I liked the rest of the song, and I'm glad it was accepted.

I noticed that too. The production isn't as crisp, but I like it. It sounds like it's playing on a record player, which I like, because it sounds more "at home" and less "artificial." I think that's one of the biggest problems with rock music today. It's over-produced, and it takes the edge off of the music. But that doesn't apply to all kinds of music. I like my techno as clear as possible.

the arrangement is awesome but i really don't like the vocals. it is nothing more than personal preference as the rest of the arrangement is fantastic.

some notables:

the guitar work is energetic and full of character despite the shredding which is not common. the production is raw, the arrangement is very intelligent (link's heartbeat prepping him for his death), and all in all this has great zelda value

i'm glad to see you guys back.

Considering how the original sounded, this track has gone through some major changes. Heavy metal hasn't really been a favorite musicstyle of mine, but since it's an OC Remix, I'll may give it a listen.

It WAS heavy. The beginning was petty easy on us, since it was mostly a slow electric guitar along with lyrics. At 1:25, however, was when the seriousness ( or maybe also the madness) began, when the guitars started to pump out music for full. Another good thing with this is the time, 6 minutes gives alot of space for both lyrics and some awesome solos.

The part that followed after the lyrics was my favorite, since then I could focus on listening to the song you've "remixed", along with a very interesting take on the dungeon theme arranged with some piano as well. To sum it up, it was a very solid and kickass arrangement. It has lyrics, standard heavy metal instruments but also some other material, and, of course, competent people to perform it.

Sweden really do rocks. :wink:

The part that followed after the lyrics, since then I could focus on listening to the song you've "remixed", along with a very interesting the dungeon theme arranged with some piano as well. To sum it up, it was a very solid and kickass arrangement. It has lyrics, standard heavy metal instruments but also some other material and, of course, competent people to perform it.

That was my favorite part too. I try and avoid the lyrics on this mix, for some reason. It's all good instrumentals, and that's what I like.

I miss Cataclysmic Clash's vocals, however.

It's because the song is "mastered" way too loud. I replaygained the song and the peak is 1.26 while 1 is the max. The average volume is 11.26dB louder than the recommended 89dB.

I noticed how a lot of people said they don't like the vocals. I have to agree. I wouldn't even listen to the rest of the song once the vocals kicked in (especially the chorus - ugh) until I read about the song getting better afterwards.

Which it does. 4:00 on kicks some serious ass. I don't even mind the male-only lyrics too much, but once the chorus picks up, I'm sorry, it truly is game over for me. Once again, 4:00 on rocks hard, but...meh.

~.C.S.~

Hey - where are the links to the judges reviews? I can't seem to find them anymore. I would be interested to see what the judges thought.

Anyways, I often find heavy stuff like this a bit disturbing (this being no exception at some points), but I thought this was pretty cool. One thing that stuck out to me the most...4:59...love the transition into the dungeon theme! Now THAT's what I'm talking about! I love the dungeon theme so I may be a bit biased ;-). Vocals? They're always risky, but I think they did the style of music great justice. It would have been interesting to hear some special effects to alter the vocals and make things interesting/dynamic (this is not a complaint, just something I think would be cool).

A few pain points though, the digital tones don't always seem to mix very well with the instruments IMO - I think they could have been left out all together in some cases, especially on the latter half of the remix. Guitar was great, but the ending felt a bit weak when compared with the rest of the mix.

I'm glad they took out the crying at the end, though.

Yeah, if there was crying at the end of this, that would have been waaay too much for met to handle in the disturbance department...good call leaving that out :). Well done, though, this was a great remix.

I have to disagree with a bunch of people, I liked the vocals. And the Chorus... I didnt like it at first but now I'm really digging it. Had a nice harsh feel to it, I could so imagine Link kicking some serious ass to this music.

And I loved the end part where the "low life" sound effect started to kick in. Nice touch :D

The vocals are good-not-great. In keeping with the rest of their work, it sounds best when the lead's voice is not overexposed.

I have some issues with the arrangement. It jumps around too many places without fully developping the ideas in place.

As with virtually remix using sound effects from the game, it comes off as unproffessional and extraneous. The rest of the chiptune-ish section towards the end really doesn't work given the context.

This is still direct post material. I'm just overly-critical.

Main reason I didn't like the vocals, was because I was expecting Cataclysmic Clash/Little Mac's Confession all again.

And, yeah. Too slow, not enough WHAM! power. It was dragging out, and it just didn't work nearly as well for the main singer, whom currently has no name because it escapes me.

The vocals are fine when the song picks up. At 2:20, the vocals become acceptable.

Side note -everyone should hear their Mega Man 2 mix on the new album. I think they should have submitted THAT instead...but I'm also a huge fan of theirs.

And, because it's funny....

allan.jpg

I think this remix is very good. It brought tears to my eyes :oops: even on second listening (on the same day). Probably part of the reason is I'm missing home and this remix fills me with memories of home.

To be critical, I don't think the concurrent vocals work as well as it could have. Anyway, the overall feel of the remix--to me--is darkish/fantasy/gothic/somewhat tragic atmosphere. A really great work :D

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01496 - Legend of Zelda "Hyrule's Angel (The Sleeping Beauty)"