RWS 3-3: Super Fighting Robots!

MindWanderer

Season 3, Episode 3: Super Fighting Robots!

RMWtS-large.png

Next weekend (April 3-5) marks the return of RoboGames, an international robot competition featuring a range of contests from LEGO soccer to bartending. The highlight, though, is the ComBots, featuring 220-lb juggernauts trying to tear each other to pieces.

So while I'm off watching sparks, flames, and chunks of metal flying off titanium killing machines, you get to make music about it. Choose from one of the following:

1. Use one or more sources from games about robots, OR
  2. Use any source and make something industrial or mechanical sounding, assuming you've even read this far and haven't already decided on Mega Man.

About ReMixing With the Stars

ReMixing With the Stars is intended to give beginning remixers some support, encouragement, and mentoring in their quest to become great, and as a sidenote, to become posted remixers. Beginners are mentored by experienced remixers to push their abilities to new heights and submit collaborative works according to the theme of the month.

Who's a "Star" and who's a "Novice?"

There are no fixed rules on this. Originally, RWS treated anyone with an OCR mixpost as a "Star" and anyone else as a "Novice." Later it evolved so that anyone could elect to be a Star, but posted remixers couldn't be Novices. The reason was because a lot of really good remixers expressed a lack of confidence in their abilities and didn't feel they were good enough to mentor someone else, but RWS gets a lot more Novice than Star signups.

Now anyone can sign up as either, but please be honest with yourself. If you have several direct posts to OCR, you're probably in a better position to give help than receive it. If you have a giant bowl of Wooden Spoons from PRC and mostly only win by default, the reverse is probably true. But if you feel that you're pretty good and your OCR submissions just get NO'ed due to minor nitpicks, go ahead and sign up as a Star if you want. If you have been posted but each submission takes you months and multiple resubmits, feel free to sign up as a Novice. Or not, it's your choice. If you're on the fence, bear in mind that being a Star is a much smaller time commitment.

One caveat: This should not be your first attempt at creating music in a DAW. The Stars' job is to provide mixing, production, and arrangement advice. It's not to teach you how to choose or install a DAW, load VST's, work with a MIDI piano roll, arm your microphone, etc. If that's where you are right now, try PRC or MnP as a first compo.

Rules

• Enrollment/Pairings:
    • Stars: Sign up by posting in this thread that you're available. Mention any time restrictions or or other limitations you might have, or if you have any particular strengths you'd like to offer (playing a live instrument is a great one).
    • Novices: If one or more Stars have signed up, just post to claim one! First come, first served. Get in touch with your Star as soon as you claim them, and get started on your mix. I encourage Novices to rotate between multiple Stars to get different learning experiences and perspectives, but if the same people keep signing up week after week, repeat pairings are fine. If there aren't any unclaimed Stars, feel free to post to say that you'd like one.

Pairings for everyone who signed up within the official "enrollment period" will be posted at that time. However, if anyone wants to sign up after that, or can't find a partner until after that, they're welcome to join in.

[*]Mixes: The Novice must be the primary remixer. Stars can contribute by giving advice, performing with a live instrument or vocals, and with production, including sample quality, balance, and minor arrangement adjustments to fix timing or dissonance issues. If you don't use the same DAW, you can exchange MIDIs or rendered stems. The Star may also contribute a short solo segment arranged entirely by them. No one other than the Novice and Star may help in any substantial way. You can use multiple sources in your remix, but at least 51% of the remix must be based on one or more qualifying sources. For example, if you use 3 sources, and only one fits the theme, but it's present in more than half the mix, then it's fine.

[*]Submissions: All entries must be submitted to ThaSauce by the deadline. Check the ThaSauce page for the exact amount of remaining time (the image in my sig should also be correct). Give credit to your partner in the submission description, and provide link(s) to the source(s) you used. File sizes cannot exceed 20MB. If you have trouble uploading the file or getting a ThaSauce account working, post a link to your mix in this thread and I'll get it on there. If this is your first ThaSauce compo entry, don't do it at the last minute!

[*]Voting: Use the ThaSauce page to vote. Entrants (Novices or Stars) may not vote for themselves, but your mix gets a bonus first-place vote if you vote. Support your partner by voting! The deadline is on the ThaSauce page (or in my sig, once voting has started).

Previous Episodes

Season 1 Compilation

Season 2 Compilation

• [thread=40611]Pilot Episode: "Beginnings"[/thread]
  • [thread=41556]Season 1, Episode 1: "Spooky!"[/thread]
  • [thread=41864]Season 1, Episode 2: "Origins of Home Gaming"[/thread]
  • [thread=42143]Season 1, Episode 3: Special "You Can Never Have Too Much Mega Man" edition[/thread]
  • [thread=42485]Season 1, Episode 4: "Yesteryear"[/thread]
  • [thread=42797]Season 1, Episode 5: "Ultra-Modern"[/thread]
  • [thread=43124]Season 1 Finale: "Touched by a Star"[/thread]
  • [thread=43437]Season 2, Episode 1: "Country Road"[/thread]
  • [thread=43702]Season 2, Episode 2: "Tropical Vacation!"[/thread]
  • [thread=45320]Season 2, Episode 3: Special "Wish on This!" edition[/thread]
  • [thread=45909]Season 2, Episode 4: "The Need for Speed!"[/thread]
  • [thread=46454]Season 2, Episode 5: "Pacifism"[/thread]
  • [thread=46676]Season 2 Finale: "Rising Stars"[/thread]

Edited by MindWanderer

May I throw my name into the hopper? When is the Star Novice Lock in date? I'm going to campaign around for participants and let's see if we can get 6 teams this round! I really want to help expand this project, it's a great exercise in working in tandem with other musicians and a goldmine for learning the production process!

May I throw my name into the hopper? When is the Star Novice Lock in date? I'm going to campaign around for participants and let's see if we can get 6 teams this round! I really want to help expand this project, it's a great exercise in working in tandem with other musicians and a goldmine for learning the production process!
It's not really a "lock-in," but the teams will be posted and the themes announced on Tuesday. It's on the ThaSauce page and in my sig.

Next weekend (April 3-5) marks the return of RoboGames, an international robot competition featuring a range of contests from LEGO soccer to bartending. The highlight, though, is the ComBots, featuring 220-lb juggernauts trying to tear each other to pieces.

So while I'm off watching sparks, flames, and chunks of metal flying off titanium killing machines, you get to make music about it. Choose from one of the following:

1. Use one or more sources from games about robots, OR
  2. Use any source and make something industrial or mechanical sounding, assuming you've even read this far and haven't already decided on Mega Man.

Pairings thus far:

• Jonathan! with timaeus222
  • Anorax with Esperado
  • Necrox with Cyril the Wolf
  • YoshiBlade with Jorito
  • Max Sparling still awaiting another Star signup.

I don't want to hijack the Compo, but can we change the "OR" to "AND"...I feel like the "OR" basically opens up the playing field too much. The last one was very specific i.e. use this VST in someway and prepare to be judged on how you use it. This one has no teeth, I'm mean how many games use robots as a theme?...many. Using industrial sounds is really cool, but there's a chance everyone's just gonna use the first quantifier and not the more interesting second one. Tie our hands a bit and then make us earn it. :cry:

How is that promoting creativity? Shouldn't we be allowed to choose? Shouldn't we be able to pick one of them OR both? Isn't that how "OR" works?

If you search "Blue OR Gold", then "Blue AND Gold", you can see that the search results give you less and less options as you try each one. That tells you how restrictive "AND" is over "OR". I think of "OR" as "this, or that, or both" ;)

How is that promoting creativity? Shouldn't we be allowed to choose? Shouldn't we be able to pick one of them OR both? Isn't that how "OR" works?

If you search "Blue OR Gold", then "Blue AND Gold", you can see that the search results give you less and less options as you try each one. That tells you how restrictive "AND" is over "OR". I think of "OR" as "this, or that, or both" ;)

Well if we were in a race and the rules said Run OR Take a car, the race would quickly turn into people taking the easier route i.e. take the Car, or in this case use a theme from a game about robots which there are many, many options. Further more it requires the Star and Novice to think in creative and novel ways. Think of a a scavenger hunt, Go find 10 things vs go find these specific 10 things, which one sounds more fun?

I don't want to cause any trouble, just a thought. :)

Edited by YoshiBlade

Many times when I've done this before, participants have intentionally stuck to both aspects of the theme. That's up to them.

I'm not going to specify a genre full stop. Some styles of music just don't appeal to people, and if I did that I expect I'd get a lot of dropouts.

If this compo was primarily designed to force participants to step outside their comfort zones, then sure. But RWS barely requires a theme at all; the only real reason it does is so that people can't just pick up a mix they happen to have been working on already and just keep at it; they have to start something new. The main focus is just to have an excuse to get tips from someone more experienced than oneself.

That said, "robots" is pretty broad when Mega Man is in the mix. I debated explicitly excluding Mega Man and its spinoffs, which immediately cuts out about half the robot games I can think of off the top of my head. I imagine most people on these forums have at least considered one Mega Man remix at some point, and may have one in production already. But that seemed pretty artificial.

For the sake of variety, does everyone want to agree to avoid Mega Man?

Many times when I've done this before, participants have intentionally stuck to both aspects of the theme. That's up to them.

I'm not going to specify a genre full stop. Some styles of music just don't appeal to people, and if I did that I expect I'd get a lot of dropouts.

If this compo was primarily designed to force participants to step outside their comfort zones, then sure. But RWS barely requires a theme at all; the only real reason it does is so that people can't just pick up a mix they happen to have been working on already and just keep at it; they have to start something new. The main focus is just to have an excuse to get tips from someone more experienced than oneself.

That said, "robots" is pretty broad when Mega Man is in the mix. I debated explicitly excluding Mega Man and its spinoffs, which immediately cuts out about half the robot games I can think of off the top of my head. I imagine most people on these forums have at least considered one Mega Man remix at some point, and may have one in production already. But that seemed pretty artificial.

For the sake of variety, does everyone want to agree to avoid Mega Man?

Ok I will come clean...I have no less than 3 MM mixes, I'm currently working on, that I really wanted to enter, but that would violate the spirit of the Compo. Then I thought I'll just do another MM, and felt empty inside. I never thought of the balance to keep people coming back, I apologize for ignoring that aspect. Yes, I will commit to not going MM on this one, in all honesty it's probably going to be Robo's Theme...or Proto Dome, maybe Metal Gear? Keeping with both themes, Of course. Rock on and Let's Have Fun Everyone!!!!:)!!