RWS 3-3: Super Fighting Robots!

MindWanderer

Well if we were in a race and the rules said Run OR Take a car, the race would quickly turn into people taking the easier route i.e. take the Car, or in this case use a theme from a game about robots which there are many, many options. Further more it requires the Star and Novice to think in creative and novel ways. Think of a a scavenger hunt, Go find 10 things vs go find these specific 10 things, which one sounds more fun?

I don't want to cause any trouble, just a thought. :)

Not that I want to start an argument or anything, but it sounds like you're saying people would prefer the easier way and that it could limit the variety of results you could get.

Well, I think that's fine. I think that's a good thing in the following sense. I would rather people be able to choose something that they're most comfortable with and make something they're happy with than to be forced to do something they're not comfortable with and possibly ending up with something really poor or not turning something in at all because they couldn't figure out how to work within the constraints to create something they liked. That's my take on it anyway.

Not that I want to start an argument or anything, but it sounds like you're saying people would prefer the easier way and that it could limit the variety of results you could get.

Well, I think that's fine. I think that's a good thing in the following sense. I would rather people be able to choose something that they're most comfortable with and make something they're happy with than to be forced to do something they're not comfortable with and possibly ending up with something really poor or not turning something in at all because they couldn't figure out how to work within the constraints to create something they liked. That's my take on it anyway.

You know I think I owe timaeus an apology. I conflated Iron Remixer with RWS. I guess the focus here is the team work aspect, not so much the use of a "Secret ingredient", so in that respect, yes timaeus would be right to focus on the team building and creating a well produced track. It's just confusing when it comes time to vote, "Do I vote on who's track that I liked the best or who followed the spirit of the Compo?" These RWS have been around longer than me, so I am in no place to demand change. I just want to have a solid framework when it comes time to plan, create and then judge.

You know I think I owe timaeus an apology. I conflated Iron Remixer with RWS. I guess the focus here is the team work aspect, not so much the use of a "Secret ingredient", so in that respect, yes timaeus would be right to focus on the team building and creating a well produced track. It's just confusing when it comes time to vote, "Do I vote on who's track that I liked the best or who followed the spirit of the Compo?" These RWS have been around longer than me, so I am in no place to demand change. I just want to have a solid framework when it comes time to plan, create and then judge.

It's okay man, you didn't have to apologize; your reason did make sense in its own way, and I respect that you may not have wanted to see potentially similar remixes result from this compo or something like that. We have our own ways of seeing what makes sense to us. :)

Well, I guess I'll just sit this round out then, unless there are any stars who want to work with two novices (if that's even allowed).

NOOOOO!!!! Seriously I'm hoping this'll bump the thread a bit and maybe someone will see this! Comon the more the merrier. If you don't have a Star by tomorrow, I'll check my rolodex and start campaigning to find you a star! Start working on something, would be my suggestion, someone will hopefully step up soon, this is a good group of people here.

Man, deadline's in a few days. I wish I noticed this thread sooner, the timing would have been wonderful. Hope to join the next one!

Run it by Mindwanderer first, but Just Coffee, maybe you and Mark Sparling could work as a team? Just Coffee that Mega Man 8 track was epic and that alone should qualify you as a star, just ask Mindwanderer first. I'd love to hear what you two can cook up!

NOOOOO!!!! Seriously I'm hoping this'll bump the thread a bit and maybe someone will see this! Comon the more the merrier. If you don't have a Star by tomorrow, I'll check my rolodex and start campaigning to find you a star! Start working on something, would be my suggestion, someone will hopefully step up soon, this is a good group of people here.

Thanks! That would be awesome! I'm still looking for a good track at the moment though.

Run it by Mindwanderer first, but Just Coffee, maybe you and Mark Sparling could work as a team? Just Coffee that Mega Man 8 track was epic and that alone should qualify you as a star, just ask Mindwanderer first. I'd love to hear what you two can cook up!

I'm really flattered that you think I'm good enough to qualify as a star. But I don't think my production skills are that good yet so I can't provide any significant advice or contribution to my would-be partner. I'd like to be able to participate as a Novice first since I've only just recently joined OCR. But either way, I don't think I'll have enough time to come up with something in time. So I think chances are high that I'll join the next one instead. :)

There's a week left, so you can still participate if you want. Most of the compos here only give you a week anyway.

You don't really need my permission. The participation rules are spelled out in the first post (and if they're not clear on this, let me know): if you have two people willing to sign up as a "novice" and a "star," they can pair off.

Heck, since both Max and Coffee seem to both be borderline on the novice/star thing, you can just collab and whoever ends up writing more of the arrangement, label them as the "novice."

ok....what happened?

From my perspective, I was an idiot about it. When I signed up, I never considered if I was even available when I signed up (e.g. I had a 5 day vacation planned and then I had to practice for and play at all of the Easter services...). I would like to apologise to Mark Sparling for taking the place and not using it and to Timaeus for wasting his time.

I'm not calling the shots here, but I can't in good conscious take a victory here.

I would say that you are fully justified in taking it, your entry was great and fitted the theme really well. I liked how it was put together (including the text!).