Downloading Video game Music files Illegal

I'm no legal expert, but if you read the agreement in any game, it will tell you that copying, reverse-engineering, etc. of anything on the storage medium for any purpose violates the license.

So I would take that as a yes - stuff that's on the disc or whatever is the company's copyright. I'd imagine if anyone sued over it, the specific reason for being sued would probably differ depending on whether or not you were the uploader or downloader.

Probably

it's very much a kavaliersdelikt. meaning, a very trivial offense. it's basic logic that it's illegal or atleast grey territory, but no one cares too much.

with the soundtrack being unavailable commercially, i think almost any composer would rather have his fans listen illegally than not listen at all.

especially spc's and such. i believe many of the older game musicians are still surprised by the interest people show in them. this has opened up venues, like the game orchestra stuff, and new work for older names in some cases.

when a legally grey area has such positive side effects, no one worries too much.

this site is legally grey innit? it hosts them chiptunes as well.

Nase said:
it's very much a kavaliersdelikt. meaning, a very trivial offense. it's basic logic that it's illegal or atleast grey territory, but no one cares too much.

with the soundtrack being unavailable commercially, i think almost any composer would rather have his fans listen illegally than not listen at all.

especially spc's and such. i believe many of the older game musicians are still surprised by the interest people show in them. this has opened up venues, like the game orchestra stuff, and new work for older names in some cases.

when a legally grey area has such positive side effects, no one worries too much.

this site is legally grey innit? it hosts them chiptunes as well.

[redacted]

Edited by romandawesome
nop longer christian

It's something that is technically illegal but few people (should) really care because for as long as you are keeping the music on your own computer and not sharing it with others, there's no profit being made by you, and the "loss" of profit is what bothers people. In other words, for personal use, like burning to your own car CD, it's OK, but you can't redistribute it. Additionally, if you can't even buy it anymore, there's no real "loss" in profit anyways because it's no longer officially selling.

That's my take on it, anyway.

If you're worried about the spiritual sin quality of the action, you really shouldn't fret about it too much. If you've ever lent a friend a CD or played a movie while some friends were around, you've also technically violated copyright law because they weren't supposed to be able to enjoy it without purchasing a copy of their own.

It's really not that much different from that and copyright/profit laws are so weird by the very nature of the business that it poses some slippery slopes. It's trying to protect THEORY, something that doesn't exist yet, instead of something tangible and present. Some flexibility has to be threaded into the quilt there.

I'm not straight up advocating piracy here, I'm just saying there's only so much protection that kind of stuff can reasonably be afforded and expected.