The song that made you want to remix

YoshiBlade

Simple question, what is the VGM (or other I suppose) track that set you on your Remixing way, not necessarily the 1st track you remixed or covered, but the one that made you feel like remixing is something more than a novelty? For me it was the Kingdom of Ixa'taka Theme from Skies of Arcadia (specifically around the 1 min mark, when that guitar comes in) and FFXI- Airship Theme( anyone else hear the Marshall Tucker Band's "Can't You See" here? I have yet to even try and remix either of them, but something about them just makes me feel...like I want to be apart of the tracks in some way, I don't know what way, but some way.

It's so long ago it's hard to say but i ALWAYS point to this mix : http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR00690

Brandon, I knew you were going to be first...I'm beginning to think you're omnipresent on every forum, at every second, of every day from the beginning of the universe, till an hour past the end of time as we know it. :)!!

ps this track is my kind of great.

Edited by YoshiBlade

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR00782

Plok has one of my favorite soundtracks, and this remix of the title theme is probably what initially got me into considering remixing. At the time I found the track, it was the only remix from that game and I was surprised there weren't more. Since then, I've wanted to contribute my own Plok remix, as well as remix in general. Took me a few years, but I've been finally getting around to it.

For me, it was before "remixing" was even a thing. The Black Chocobo theme from FFIV and stages A and B from Super Castlevania IV were remixes and really got my attention, back in the early 90's. Later in the 90's, when I got internet, I discovered the Castlevania Dungeon, with the Akumajo Dracula Battle and Castlevania New Classic albums. I also downloaded a bunch of remix MIDIs from RPG Fan (or was it RPGamer?).

As for the OST's I first thought of that made me want to learn to remix so I could do them, it's always been, for some strange reason, A Boy And His Blob and Skate or Die. I'll tackle those when I know I can do them justice.

Late 90s, finding a tracker module with "

" from FF4 made me learn it on the piano, and a friend had collected some MIDIs from Final Fantasy games and what not, so I had some idea about VGM arranging. Local VGM band Axes Denied really made want to do something similar, especially with their Turrican 2, Star Control 2, Bruce Lee & Ocean Loader tracks.

was the first track I actually arranged, thanks to People's Remix Competition. The stuff that I first started thinking about doing were probably
, and
(plus the
after a friend's request), none of these are still done of course..

Well, what made me think about music from an arrangement perspective in the first place was high school band - hearing the individual part & section writing for a composition, working it over ad infinitum in class, etc. really gives you an appreciation for the nuts and bolts, and (in my case at least) makes you wanna tinker with them.

That being said, the title theme to Phantasy Star III will always be one of my favorites, and it stuck with me from the day I beat the game to the day I started OCR.

I might have a cop out answer but I started to want to remix when I first found out that vgm remixes was even a thing back in 2009 (my mind was blown when that happened,lol). It took me soo long to realize this because I have been living in the ghetto my whole life where just listening to vgm on its own was considered taboo or usually met with,"you listen to that crap?" from the standards of both family and friends in school... but nowadays I tell ppl off that their the ones missing out on some great music, both ost's and remixes alike.

I know I didn't answer the question but it did inspire me to be apart of the remixing community when I found that out, and this is where I'm at now.

It was when I found out about the bonus track for Castlevania: SOTN that I started to appreciate remixes and thought to seek them out whenever I could. But it was actually Vertexguy's metal cover of the Jungle theme from Contra that made me think that remixing old video game music actually resonated with a lot of people and inspired me to take the gaming musician's path and made my first guitar cover.

From then on, I've been studying on my own on how to make music that I like on and off as a hobby, hoping I'd someday make a living as a game composer like ol' Nobuo Uematsu.

For me was the song/remix

wich made me feel that I wanted to do things like that for sure, was awesome.

And then the song/remix that made me jump to start learning about remixing along with some songs from Danny. B was

. The two have one thing in common, they born here, and that's how I discovered this community and started to learn. :-o

but the one that made you feel like remixing is something more than a novelty?

it's still kind of a novelty, isn't it? zoom out a little...it's a pretty small scene. this ain't japan :D

probably secret of mana for me, i remember doing guitar tabs for that in 2002 after i replayed it.

i played back the boss battle track a lot and tried to play it on guitar, and failed of course. i wanted to cover it but couldn't.

and then there were mixers showing you what's possible, of course...protricity and mazedude were the two i adored most.

I'm not particularly sure but I think it was the Stickerbrush Symphony remix in Brawl. I remember I listened to many Stickerbrush Symphony remixes and even the DKC2 OCR album because of that (I think it had just launched back then!). I did not register in the forums then though, not sure why... That happened a few years later, but I can't remember why I did it haha.