Megaman 8 - Stage Select & Intro Stage (80s Pop Remix)

Just Coffee

I've recently finished arranging my 80s remix for the stage select and intro stage themes from Megaman 8. I don't think I'm very good with mastering and EQing so I thought I'd run it by you guys first before I make a submission(or should I have done that first? I wasn't sure).

There's quite a bit of reverb going on with a lot of things since I was trying to get that 80s workout cheese. Some parts definitely feel overcrowded I think. But I'm not sure if I should cut or pan stuff around.

Let me know what you guys think:

https://soundcloud.com/justcoffee/megaman-8-aerobotics-just-coffee-remix

EDIT:

Original source

Intro Stage:

Stage Select:

Edited by Just Coffee
Should have had links to the original. Also, swapped the secret link to soundcloud for a public one.

@Phonetic Hero, thank you! I often hear that Megaman 8 is one of the lesser favorites in the series. But it was my first Megaman game next to Legends. So the game had a certain lasting appeal for me.

Please feel free to comment on it anytime. I'd really love to get some critical feedback on it. I'd rather it be posted here though instead of a pm so other people can jump in and add to it or something.

---

@YoshiBlade, thanks! I initially thought to make a this a chillout track at first. But I felt like it was a little too similar to the original. I redid everything and it ended up sounding like a workout track. So I just went with it. :lol:

Nice! I think the drums are very well-produced; nice and punchy, and not buried. I'm not wearing my regular mixing headphones right now, but on just decent skullcandies it sounds pretty good in the EQ in general.

The only thing I find odd about it is that the lead appears to be sidechained, and not just the bass and pads, and I think it makes too much of the track feel pumped; I like my leads being stable in volume.

So overall, besides the slightly noodly melodic contour towards the end, it's quite good.

Nice! I think the drums are very well-produced; nice and punchy, and not buried. I'm not wearing my regular mixing headphones right now, but on just decent skullcandies it sounds pretty good in the EQ in general.

The only thing I find odd about it is that the lead appears to be sidechained, and not just the bass and pads, and I think it makes too much of the track feel pumped; I like my leads being stable in volume.

So overall, besides the slightly noodly melodic contour towards the end, it's quite good.

Thanks! The bass and pads are actually sidechained as well. It's how I tried to make the drums pop out more but there may have been a bit much on the lead. What do you mean by "noodly" exactly?

Thanks! The bass and pads are actually sidechained as well. It's how I tried to make the drums pop out more but there may have been a bit much on the lead. What do you mean by "noodly" exactly?

I just mean that the melodic contour felt odd, like if it were a person talking, it felt rambly (3:16 - 3:42). But it's a small thing.

Edited by timaeus222

I just mean that the melodic contour felt odd, like if it were a person talking, it felt rambly (3:16 - 3:42). But it's a small thing.

Ah, gotcha. I had the same thought myself tbh. But I just felt like I would've taken away the hype in that part.

I freakin' love this! You especially nailed the drums!

Like my hair seriously turned itself into a mullet and I involuntarily started saying action movie one-liners listening to this. That is how much 80s just punched me in the face listening to this!

Radical! 8-)

I like the mixing overall, though I kinda feel like some of the frequencies clash in the beginning, and the reverb on the kick is odd to me (just because I've never really heard it done myself)

But I love what you did with this. I could seriously hear this being used in an indie remake of the game or something. Good work.

This is really good. Sent me on a serious trip to the 80s (which I barely was born into) and since the 80s bled into the 90s a bit, it sends me on a wild nostalgic roller coaster.

Great, great job. Nailed the 80s theme.

My one suggestion though, is maybe introduce more panning to the percussion elements (hats, snare, toms, etc.) just to widen the image a bit more. Maybe it's just me, but I'm hearing all of the percussion right down the middle. A smooth panning effect on the fill-in with the toms would be cool (and realistic) too. Just an idea. But I loved the track.

• 3 months later...