OCR03108 - Sonic the Hedgehog 'Flicky's Night Out'

djpretzel

Your tracks from TSSMA'12 are all very good, but this is my favorite. Also love Chaos Intervention (I hope you'll submit it too). The treatment of source is very cool. It sounds very uplifting even breathtaking at times (2:09 - 2:28, for example). Excellent!

EDIT: I completely forgot about Find the Computer Room; it's damn awesome too. And Sonorous Discharge. And Aviated Spirit. And Tactile Snowfall. Damn, they're all super great!

Edited by Black_Doom

A rare time where I feel the judges were too harsh; the (admittedly minor) critiques I put at the 'picking nits' level, and more importantly, had little to do with the goal of the song, which comes through spectacularly and vibrantly. My goodness, I thought there were multicolored lights shining through all my nighttime windows! I even appreciated the explanation on the uplifting nature of the song. A joy to listen to this joyous tune!!

The Star Light Zone theme might be my favorite truly "gamey" game melody/counterpoint of all time. I've always found it to be very uplifting and playful as well (though I agree, some of the semiotic effect comes from the cathartic release after Labyrinth). Game music comes in many shapes and sizes, but "game" music as opposed to VG OSTs is, to me, a very specific flavor of music.

Rexy, you knocked it out of the park. You put your own touch on the song, maintained the original feel throughout, and didn't try to obliterate it with excessive effects or instrumentation. My kind of jam. Kudos!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...