OC ReMix Unveils Revolutionary New 3-Value Genre Classification System!

djpretzel

You've asked for it...

Repeatedly...

And we've waited until the time was right and until we had the technology & taxonomy to do things PROPERLY...

OC ReMix is proud to announce that all ReMixes will now be classified by genre according to an innovative & intuitive three-value classification system!

No more frustrating searches for VGM arrangements that fit your mood, poking around aimlessly in the absence of a comprehensive label that sums up anything & everything one could possibly say about a given song... those days are over. Likewise, we don't want to overburden you with tons of genres like "acid psy-trance happy two-step trap drumstep" that don't mean anything to you.

. No, we've distilled our entire genre classification system into three values that we think will cater to almost all of your needs. As Lincoln famously said, you can make some of the people happy all of the time, or all of the people happy some of the time, but you can't make all of the people like dubstep. He was way ahead of his time.

But we digress; after a series of intensive focus groups, many internal discussions, and extensive field testing, we will be labeling ALL mixes according to the following three genre values:

1. Techno

2. Possibly Techno

3. Probably Not Techno (Maybe)

We feel that this trio of options succinctly captures, with minimal loss of fidelity, the breadth & depth of music on OCR. With 3,000 mixes in genres that might otherwise be described as rock, metal, jazz, classical, hip-hop, funk, ambient, and of course EDM, the variety can get overwhelming. Therefore, using advanced algorithms and pseudo-neuroanalysis, we were able to get to the bottom line and eliminate the vast majority of confusing, extraneous options.

Here's an example - you can now find this information on EVERY SINGLE MIX:

ocremix-genres.jpg

NOTE: We've included red arrows in this screenshot to help highlight the new genre feature, in addition to yellow highlighting, to help enhance the focus & draw the eye. These arrows won't appear on the actual HTML web pages, but the yellow highlighting will.

For more detail, we are providing the following definitions to guide you in the utilization of this exciting new feature:

• "Techno" - A ReMix that is techno. May or may not also be manga.
  • "Possibly Techno" - A ReMix that is possibly techno, but also might not be.
  • "Probably Not Techno (Maybe)" - A ReMix that is probably not techno, but we can't rule it out entirely.

Please remember that this feature is in BETA; we anticipate feedback and are seeking any input you can provide as to how we might further refine this list into only two options or, ideally, a single value.

Please use this thread for feedback, suggestions, etc.

If a song is upbeat with lots of synths but no kick drum is that "Possibly Techno?" I mean kick drums are so overrated all they do is muddy up tracks.

Yes, that's accurate. We'll be releasing a genre classification document in a few days that should go more in depth with what each category means.

Finally! After all this waiting!

Edit: during your research, have you thought of making a fourth genre named "Techno Shit"? I think it could be a good idea for identifying ReMixes that are particularly VERY Techno.

Expansion of the genre list isn't really something we're interested in doing. To be perfectly honest, it's a little unwieldy as it is with three genres.

Edited by DarkeSword

This is great news! OC ReMix has such a variety of sounds, I sometimes just want to listen to a bunch of songs all in a style I know, and it's great that you've been able to distill these into three comprehensive genres.

I'm interested to know more about what's going on behind the scenes. Will you ever be releasing your analysis code? Does this integrate with the ID3 genre tags on the mp3s themselves? I want my collection on my computer to reflect these tags, of course.

If a song is upbeat with lots of synths but no kick drum is that "Possibly Techno?" I mean kick drums are so overrated all they do is muddy up tracks.

Don't I know it. My sample of two indicates it's Probably Not Techno (Maybe).

Been looking forward to a proper but easy-to-use genre system that can handle the mixed genres and stuff on ocremix. This makes a lot of sense. Glad to see it's finally out, even if it's just beta.

Most of my songs are possibly techno. I clearly haven't made that final step into becoming pure techno(manga) but I'm getting pretty close!
you know what technomanga is? it's the shitty sound when you use Fruity Loops to create trance music. That's technomanga and that's mangagay.

I guess we'll just have to post more and more classic technomanga remixes to determine the definition. :wink:

Expansion of the genre list isn't really something we're interested in doing. To be perfectly honest, it's a little unwieldy as it is with three genres.

Perhaps, but I do think you're missing out on a major opportunity to really help inform listeners. If I may:

• Completely totally definitely techno
  • Not techno but dubstep so who gives a shit?
  • Skrillex
  • Techno breakbeat percussion but has violins in it for some reason?
  • DDR Soundtrack
  • Techno with a bassline that is kind of the same but kind of different from another techno song. The lines are kind of blurred on this one
  • Sounds REALLY AWESOME on ecstasy

What is this crap.

I mean, seriously. This whole thing is such an obvious affront to anyone who actually understands and appreciates music and VGM arrangements as an art form.

The main problem with this supposedly "well-thought-out-and-tested" genre system is that everyone knows OCR only ever posts techno.

EDIT: and don't even get me started on those damn judges who won't pass anything that's not techno-y enough...

Edited by KingTiger

Perhaps, but I do think you're missing out on a major opportunity to really help inform listeners. If I may:

• Completely totally definitely techno
  • Not techno but dubstep so who gives a shit?
  • Skrillex
  • Techno breakbeat percussion but has violins in it for some reason?
  • DDR Soundtrack
  • Techno with a bassline that is kind of the same but kind of different from another techno song. The lines are kind of blurred on this one
  • Sounds REALLY AWESOME on ecstasy

None of these are any good or as specific as we need them to be. Like Dave said before, three is enough, and possibly too much.

While I think the three genres are sufficient' date=' it would be useful to have a "Drug" field indicating the drug that enhances the listening experience of a song the most.[/quote']

This would be a good idea but I don't think we want to have OC ReMix in a position where we're outright advocating drug use.

What is this crap.

I mean, seriously. This whole thing is such an obvious affront to anyone who actually understands and appreciates music and VGM arrangements as an art form.

The main problem with this supposedly "well-thought-out-and-tested" genre system is that everyone knows OCR only ever posts techno.

EDIT: and don't even get me started on those damn judges who won't pass anything that's not techno-y enough...

Excuse you? We post plenty of songs on the site that are Probably Not Techno (Maybe). :\

Edited by DarkeSword

This is brilliant, and not a moment too soon. This will save everyone loads of time. Bravo! The red arrows I find to be especially helpful, for those of us with older, tired eyes, to really appreciate where the new genre tags will appear in the postings, and I'm glad that the yellow highlighting will be a permanent feature. Thank you for this, Dave.

For that future time when we whittle the list down to one, might I make a suggestion for one appropriate catch-all category: "technOCR"

Thanks again for this Dave, superduper change to the site.

Honestly, you guys could probably get away with only two genres. Songs are either techno, or probably not techno (maybe) right? Why confuse the listeners with three whole possible genres?

This is a good point but it's been brought up in internal discussions that we still want people to try to expand their musical tastes and try out new genres. Possibly Techno helps with that.

its about damn time! finally!

guys i know this is beta but i am really annoyed at the fact that all of my mixes say "possibly techno" i dont even make techno music. I am a trance artist. lol.

Also you should def include the sub genre's of trance like progressive trance or melodic trance or hell if you dont want to go through all of that just throw in "Trance"