Musical guitar shredding

Nase

gimme some guitar shredding you consider really good! like, not only impressive, but musically relevant to you.

i've been listening to this one over and over over the years.

it's the only tune i've found from this dude i really like, but man is it good.

i find this much shred and funk combined to be a rarity.

Instead of picking something boring and expected I'm going with this, Dad raised me on this type of music as a kid, so it has a nice nostalgic sound to me, and it also still stands as a pillar of greatness I know I'll never reach musically. Shredding with distortion is fine but throw in some clean tone shredding then you got wins.

The Konami "Dracula Battle" Castlevania metal albums in the 90s arranged by the Japanese metal legend Naoto Shibata are honestly my favorite instrumental/guitar albums ever made. Yes, I seriously prefer it to Satch, Vai, Yngwie, MacAlpine and the rest. Masanori Kusakabe's guitar playing is just too legit.

Most people know the albums via the remix of "Bloody Tears" which is often wrongly attributed to Cradle of Filth for some reason.

i just remembered this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geLR_0_mLYM

this one impresses me much more today than when i was starting to learn guitar, and that's because of what tony iommi does with his, in technical terms, somewhat limited blues box solo style. i think he's a genius in his own weird DIY way. his licks sound like some kind of primal conversation.

it's a long one though...and it's grown on me over the years.

Edited by Nase

How about some newer bands? I saw a band called Screaming Females last week, and they can SHRED. So many guitar solos.... The entire time I was like @ワ@. If modern rock gives you a deficiency in vitamins E, A, D, G, B, and E, you should see them :P Their live shows have way more crazy guitar solos than their recorded songs, which is really what a band should do when they play live.

The guitar solo in the video starts at about 7:00, but you should listen to the whole thing anyway.

i love stevie. no question about him. but tbh, i love his hendrix stuff most.

vai i'm torn about, i think he has more taste with his noodling than say malmsteen, but i hardly like any song written by him i've heard.

satch i like, i think he's written a few great songs (among other mediocre ones).

i listened to "strange beautiful music" so much when i was 16/17 and in my guitar prime. i really liked that album.

eric johnson flew past me a bit, idk i'll check him out sometime.

ohh, you linked to little wing too, ha. but your video happens to be banned in germany so i'll keep my link :P

That clip is from the Christian Mcbride album "Sci Fi" specifically a cover of the Steely Dan song 'Aja'. And yes, that is the same David Gilmour from Pink Floyd.

EDIT: I think it may in fact be a different person with a phonetically identical name, as more often the guitarist on that track is credited as "David Gilmore" different spelling. I think any instance where it was listed as Gilmour was just somebody making an incorrect assumption that Gilmore had been mispelled.

Edited by Sam Ascher-Weiss

I am not hugely into shred guitar but I do rather like Paul Gilbert:

(he also has the best guitar playing face on the planet:

)

i saw him live in hamburg in 2007 or so! it was more of a guitar crowd so they just stood and watched. someone got annoyed when i jumped against him a bit. haha.

i think he's a complete allrounder. and very musical.

also, like jeff beck a bit, he's so good at playing guitar that his songwriting skills kinda pale in comparison. he's a pretty good songwriter, don't get me wrong.

Edited by Nase

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely going to +1 Paul Gilbert. He's easily one of my favorites! And those faces he makes are the best. 

Another one of my favorites is Guthrie Govan. He's insanely good, but also has a pretty diverse style. He can shred like a maniac, but he also keeps a level of musicality, and doesn't overdo it like some other shred guitarists a'la Yngwie Malmsteen(as much as Yngwie rules). 

Here's the video that introduced me to his music:

And here is one that is a little more funky/Jazzy: