Chrono Trigger: Guardia Forest (Collab w/Doomsday)

CC Ricers

The older topic has been at 3 pages so I'm hoping there's still some interest in this WIP. At last I have a new temporary host to put my work up.

As the tale goes, Doomsday started working on a Guardia Forest mix and one day I came along and decided to join in. We took the song to greater lenghts, and now it's almost done. Any suggestions to add new things?

---

Oct 22 update

I added a lot of stuff to the final version. YEAH IT'S HERE! There's a new section after the slow breaks, which is basically all my ideas. Now I say this remix is "practically done" because at this point there won't be any more significant additions. 95% of what you hear will be in the submitted version. Other than that the ending will be worked on, and it will be quick. Yeah, I could've polished up the ending but didn't want to keep you guys waiting any longer.

First WIP (when it was just Doomsday) (BROKEN)

Current Version (ALSO BROKEN)

2008 Version - This actually started in mid-2007 after taking in what the judges told me I should improve. There were no major changes to the composition, only changes in sound mixing. Also note the lack of drums after 4:16- it's not supposed to be like that, but I'm too lazy right now to add them and render later.

i really think the new version seems like a very polished version of the old wip. Lots of nice work in it. The ambient sounds are well done. Whatever that pan flute that is playin the main melody at 1:52 is awesome. Well done all around solid. I only got one complaint about the mix, the beggining arpeggio that runs from 0:12 to 0:56 starts to get monatonous/repetitive towards the end of it's sequence, especially around the 0:40 mark. Maybe if you a bridge between between that and the new arpeggio at 0:56 it'd sound better? Besides that one part this really good, whoever did the mastering did a real good job.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to let you guys know, this IS still alive. I have made slight alterations to the actual arrangement at this point and right now my main focus is drum work. Once I get the drums how I want them I'm going to go back then work on the actual arrangement and try to get an ending to this piece, then send it back to JustChris for (hopefully) some final touch-ups.

Just to let you guys know, this IS still alive. I have made slight alterations to the actual arrangement at this point and right now my main focus is drum work. Once I get the drums how I want them I'm going to go back then work on the actual arrangement and try to get an ending to this piece, then send it back to JustChris for (hopefully) some final touch-ups.

Heh, I was just thinking about bumping this. Anyway, yeah, it's time for some news about this. Glad to hear that you plan to work on the drums and the ending, because I think those are last remaining issues with this song.

I was just wondering where Doomsday was on this track. Well, I can't wait to get it back from him, and hear how the drums improved. The last thread I recall someone saying it sounds like music from Ridge Racer 4. What a compliment, and now I actually am trying to use "Lucid Rhythms" for ideas :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

This is my favourite piece of video game music ever. So it's dear to me. You've done some really cool stuff to this. But the bass part is very very very bad in the C and D sections there. Starting at 2:45 the bass is just out of control. It's like you lost all focus and have random notes playing. Another thing - you might want to try out a different bass so maybe you can hear it better. There's a small chance it could be bad harmonics on these speakers, but you need to listen to this on other speakers and see if you can hear how wrong the bass part sounds.

Fix the bass and it's great. Haven't heard a D'n'B mix of this yet so it was nice. Gives me some ideas for my arrangement.

This is my favourite piece of video game music ever. So it's dear to me. You've done some really cool stuff to this. But the bass part is very very very bad in the C and D sections there. Starting at 2:45 the bass is just out of control. It's like you lost all focus and have random notes playing. Another thing - you might want to try out a different bass so maybe you can hear it better. There's a small chance it could be bad harmonics on these speakers, but you need to listen to this on other speakers and see if you can hear how wrong the bass part sounds.

Fix the bass and it's great. Haven't heard a D'n'B mix of this yet so it was nice. Gives me some ideas for my arrangement.

Don't worry, I fixed the bass, the bass sounds fantastic down around the C3 and C2 range but around C4 it sounds craptastic, but yeah, I fixed it.

The new version

I liked the drums and the flute, but i didn't like the keyboard on 0:11, maybe you should lower the volume or change the instrument to something more realistic. The drums are good. really good, man i love drum'n'bass!

Now, in 2:46 the melody/bass seem not to crash. I really loved the drum stuff you started in the end of the mix.

Keep like this, is a nice tune

Nice, I like it. The DnB aspect and the instrumentation are kick ass.

2:23 when the melody starts to change, the drums seem to stay exactly the same. Don't know if thats on purpose or what, but I was expecting a small change in the rythm there. It still sounds good though, they do eventually change which is good.

The breakdown that starts at 1:27 the timing seems a lil off, in terms of when it starts and stops in comparison with the melody. Awesome idea arrangement wise. But I don't know just seems a lil off.

Overall I really liked this one, it warrented a second listen after I first heard it, which is always a good sign. I'll prob have to sit down and be really nitpicky about it when I'm at home instead of work to find some other stuff. I love the samples used for the melody and the backing, they provide a really nice soundscape. You can almost listen to this song from two different perspectives. One being you enjoy the crazy rythms or you just listen melodies and harmonies.

Hey Doomsday, those new drum sounds go great in the beginning.

I agree with Avaris that something feels a bit off in the buildup and breakdown with the drums. Overall there seems to be a bit more thin-sounding than I expected and it's not doing a good job of keeping the energy for long. Check your PM to see exactly what I mean.

Good job in extending the second breakdown. I can really build on this. So overall, there are some good ideas here, but it's like, for every two steps forward we take one step back. But I guess that this is just part of the nature of collabs.

Okay, the birds are gone, but since this is a doomsday update, it doesn't really surprise me.

Definitely digging the part starting at 1:38. Also, the new part from 2:22 on seems rather nice.

But don't you think it's about time we get a complete outline for this mix? There have been more than a dozen updates since the first version IIRC, and we still haven't heard the end of the song.

No, I'm talking about the C and D sections that you had in the version that I heard before. Where the bass really got wacky, and then you put out "guardiaf.mp3" - I think it was version three. The C and D sections aren't in this new render. I played the sections here on the pinaner right quick to show you want I'm talking about: http://www.oneupstudios.com/_mustin/ctcandd.mp3

These are my favourite parts of the piece.

Okay, the birds are gone, but since this is a doomsday update, it doesn't really surprise me.

Definitely digging the part starting at 1:38. Also, the new part from 2:22 on seems rather nice.

But don't you think it's about time we get a complete outline for this mix? There have been more than a dozen updates since the first version IIRC, and we still haven't heard the end of the song.

Lol, we're moving along slowly but surely so by the time we get to the end (working on that btw) there will be little that'll be left to be done. Also, the birds would be in there but someone hasn't sent me the sample for them >_>.

No, I'm talking about the C and D sections that you had in the version that I heard before. Where the bass really got wacky, and then you put out "guardiaf.mp3" - I think it was version three. The C and D sections aren't in this new render. I played the sections here on the pinaner right quick to show you want I'm talking about: http://www.oneupstudios.com/_mustin/ctcandd.mp3

These are my favourite parts of the piece.

The C section is in there, nearly unchanged from JustChris's version (his version was slightly off-beat and I opted to correct that), only I added the little arpeggio synth and I made another synth playing the exact same line (only it takes up a lot of space because the damn thing has at least 2 delays and 2 reverbs, which is the main reason why the section sounds so different). The D section will probably appear at the end, but in JustChris's version it really kind of seemed just like a placeholder ending to me.

• 2 weeks later...