Paper Mario 2, Mario Land 2, DK Country, Ocarina of Time: Mare Undarum

Mare Undarum

This all started when I was replaying Paper Mario 2 and suddenly had an urgent need to play around with the godlicious chippy arpeggios from the X-Naut Fortress. I wasn't sure I planned to do anything substantial, but after whipping up some chords to go along, I realized I'd accidentally given it a tone more appropriate for Mario Land 2's Star Maze.

Turns out those arps can easily accommodate Star Maze, Aquatic Ambiance, and Zora's Domain without any changes except to the supporting pads and bass.

Quick list of sources and where they appear in the arrangement:

X-Naut Fortress (Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door) - Arps used throughout, other bits used 1:10-1:37
Star Maze (Super Mario Land 2) - 0:15-0:55, backing also appears 2:18-3:25
Aquatic Ambiance (Donkey Kong Country) - 1:37-2:05
Zora's Domain (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time) - 2:18-2:46

• 4 weeks later...

Updated with both Aquatic Ambiance and Zora's Domain. Now the title is even better.

I found it quite cohesive even considering that there are 4 themes in there. Sadly I dont remember so good any of them except Zoras domain.

Maybe the beginning is a little bit too chiptune? Later mixed with the pads and the "real instruments" sounds nicer for me.

Very cool. I'm concerned that is is a bit medley-ish, despite the constant X-Naut arp (which also gets a little old).

The part starting at 0:58 sounds like it's from a Sonic game, but the Sonic OST's aren't my strong point so I can't place the one I'm thinking of. Also quite a bit like Ryu's theme from Street Fighter 2.

Sounds good, though I think it's coasting too much on the drum pattern. The whole thing just sounds like it's in one gear until the last 30 seconds, and it's just lacking dynamic contrast. If I skip along the track, every 15 seconds sounds the same. Needs something to break up the continuity a bit and bring the mind away from the autopilot drums. The bitcrush transitions aren't enough IMO.

Sounds good, though I think it's coasting too much on the drum pattern. The whole thing just sounds like it's in one gear until the last 30 seconds, and it's just lacking dynamic contrast. If I skip along along the track, every 15 seconds sounds the same. Needs something to break up the continuity a bit and bring the mind away from the autopilot drums. The bitcrush transitions aren't enough IMO.

Yeah, when I use patterns I tend to get lazy. I'll see what I can do about bringing some variation to the drums. Maybe I'll trade off the arp to another pulse wave every once in a while to freshen that up, too.