Besaid Island FFX Vocal Mix - Which reverb? Pg 3

so this has been submitted? not to put a downer on you but I doubt this will pass the judges. Did you think to double track and/or harmonise the vocals at all?(this should help to take the focus off of bad notes and flat areas whilst also fattening the sound and giving it more presence and diversity). Even with layers of reverb (and still a very annoying and noticeable delay effect) the vocals still dont sound great. Your voice has a lot of potential, in the hands of a good mixer. You just need to learn a few more techniques on mixing vox to get the overall sound that the vox need for this track.

so this has been submitted? not to put a downer on you but I doubt this will pass the judges. Did you think to double track and/or harmonise the vocals at all?(this should help to take the focus off of bad notes and flat areas whilst also fattening the sound and giving it more presence and diversity). Even with layers of reverb (and still a very annoying and noticeable delay effect) the vocals still dont sound great. Your voice has a lot of potential, in the hands of a good mixer. You just need to learn a few more techniques on mixing vox to get the overall sound that the vox need for this track.

I realize that it's got a good chance of not passing, however at the time it was at the best it was gonna be.

I don't want harmonization, I want this as a solo track. I also don't really know what you mean by vocal doubling, but it sounds somewhat opposite of "solo," so, probably not.

The vocals might not sound that great, but it was a pretty hard track to sing (ninths are hard! lol), and I am by no means practiced in singing, really. I do it for fun, and I enjoy it, but I certainly need work at it. For now, that's the best I've got.

As for getting a good mixer, I had three people offer, as you might have read earlier in this thread, so, those where the options I had, and I personally thing The Prophet of Mephisto did a good job. We're all learning here, I believe that's one of the points of this.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, if nothing else!

I realize that it's got a good chance of not passing, however at the time it was at the best it was gonna be.

I don't want harmonization, I want this as a solo track. I also don't really know what you mean by vocal doubling, but it sounds somewhat opposite of "solo," so, probably not.

The vocals might not sound that great, but it was a pretty hard track to sing (ninths are hard! lol), and I am by no means practiced in singing, really. I do it for fun, and I enjoy it, but I certainly need work at it. For now, that's the best I've got.

It's cool if you dont want harmonization, it was just a suggestion for adding a bit extra to the track. As for double-tracking, this is a very common (and often overused) method of beefing up vocals or instruments. Basically it jsut consists of performing the piece, be it (usually) vocals, guitar, strings etc, twice or more, the exact same, or as close as possible. Due to inevitable human error you'll never record the same thing twice exactly the same and it's these small differences in the parts that, when put together, usually panned to opposite sides, that give a much fuller effect. I use it a lot on guitars and my own vocals, for heavy guitars its used on almost every song you'll hear these days, for vocalists though like me who arent all that strong it helps give a good overall sound, even though it may not have been the best performance(s). Completely up to you though what methods you use. If nothing else though you might want to try it and see if you like the way it sounds, just for the sake of trying something new, you'd be surprised at the results ;)

Good luck with the submission!

• 2 weeks later...
Was it a direct post? If not, where's the judges decision?

it's in the 'to be posted' section of the judges decisions.

i say that we stop posting in this thread and instead post adulations of praise in the review thread when it gets posted =)

You're silly, Proph. I'll take money over praise anyday :lol: (just kidding of course!)

Actually, I'll take more people willing to arrange new stuff for me over all of that.

The judges decision will get posted when the song is posted, that's usually how I've seen it run.

Was it a direct post? If not, where's the judges decision?

it's in the 'to be posted' section of the judges decisions.

i say that we stop posting in this thread and instead post adulations of praise in the review thread when it gets posted =)

You're silly, Proph. I'll take money over praise anyday :lol: (just kidding of course!)

Actually, I'll take more people willing to arrange new stuff for me over all of that.

The judges decision will get posted when the song is posted, that's usually how I've seen it run.

Yeah, ya'll can keep talking about it here until it's actually posted. Go right ahead.

EDIT: Reviews go here - http://www.ocremix.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=98089