Besaid Island FFX Vocal Mix - Which reverb? Pg 3

The song definitely sounds better with the instrumental interlude at 4:08. I do think the entrance at 4:29 is a little harsh...maybe soften up the attack on the "I", or reduce the volume of that section. Or perhaps replace it with one of the sections you cut out (I don't exactly remember which, since you deleted the old versions :( ).

As for the ending, I think it's decent enough, but it does leave the song unresolved (not necessarily a bad thing though). Anyway, I dunno if Georgasmaster is still around to help you, but if you want to make the ending more "satisfying," then he could just add an ending chord/cadence, or maybe a short outro with fade. And while he's at it, maybe he could extend the 4:08 interlude a few more measures so you can put the stuff you cut out back in. ;)

Speaking of the ending though, I think there are slight timing issues starting at 4:48...seems like you come in a microsecond later than the bass notes.

Anyway, I think at this point, these are all just small nitpicks. There's still the issue of the low notes, but that's probably just a matter of vocal range, and I don't really have any suggestions for that apart from formal training and practice. Or maybe just soften up the attack on "gentle" and "crystal". But yeah, I guess it'll be up to the judges to decide whether it's a big enough problem to reject it (a lot of people tend to be sticklers over vocals).

Still, we're finally gettin' there! Hope you find someone to help with reverb soon. I'm sure it'd make it sound tons better, and maybe even cover up some of the problems with the vocals. It'd be really nice to see this on OCR. :)

Summoners-Love-Reverb-1

I've got three people who said they want to do reverb for this, so the only fair way I can think to pick between them is to let other people decide. So far I've got this one from Ambient01. The last verse is missing, but that'll get fixed.

Thoughts/comments/etc.

Thanks for your kind words, everyone.

Reverb 1 seems to emphasive the instrumental more. Voice sounds a lil more processed, but still really good. Volume is a little bit low on the vocals.

Reverb2 seems to emphasize your vocals more. Voice sounds more natural. Volume is a lil high on the vocals.

Basically I like 1 better. The overall feel is better. The whole seems to flow together better. But the vocals sound a lil better on 2 though. Well it's all up to you in the end anyways. It's nice to see vocal mix done with so much quality work. Must suck for you to try and do updates bc you gotta add new vocals over the song every time, kudos all the work on this one has def paid off :wink:

Wait wait! Not done!

Summoners-Love-Reverb-3

That should be 3, but I'm lazy. This is the third version, done by a friend of mine at school.

So....

Summoners-Love-Reverb-1

Summoners-Love-Reverb-2

Summoners-Love-Reverb-3

A couple things should be mentioned. Each of these can still be tweeked a bit here and there, like the volume, so it's not a set thing entirely. Which of these three do you think would be the best choice?

Link 3 is now fixed, and contains the entire song.

Kamoh, did you listen to each version, because the volumes are different in each. So far the third one (to me) has the best volume, but the first version is being worked on, so, yea.

No I didn't - hard to judge I know sorry...

*listens*

Far more musical...

Right now I've got no problems with the musical arrangement - and I like the vocals now (from a musical standpoint).

But I'm having a hard time finding the source...I don't remember Besaid being quite this way (same thematic level though)...

Maybe I'm just confused.

Hm...I hate to say it, but to be honest, I don't think any of them do this piece justice. Prophet's version (2) is the closest though, in my opinion...it does a good job of bringing the vocals out, but the reverb and echo is just plain overboard. I think if he cuts down on those, it could work out. Version 3 is decent, but the vocals are too low and don't have enough presence. So increasing the volume and reverb would probably fix that. Actually, come to think of it, the end result would probably be the same as reducing the reverb and echo on Prophet's version. :P

So yeah, either way would work, I think. Also, if possible, try to find someone who has an autotune program or plug-in. Don't be embarrassed about it either...many, many professional singers use it for their studio recordings.

Good luck!

yo, i've got the fl6 .flp file sitting on my desktop waiting to be edited, so if da decides she wants my cut, i can fool with it.

i know my version is too loud - that's the unfortunate problem of letting FL6 handle your mp3 files straight in. the reverb/echo makes more sense when it isn't blasting into your head and instead is just kinda chillin in the background with all the rest of the fuzz on this track.

i'm sending da a copy with better volume control soon. maybe then it'll make sense.

edit - i just emailed it to her. we'll see what she says.

...I hate to be Debbie Downer so far into the process, but I'm still not a fan of the way you sing the song. It's not that you have a bad voice, and the reverb makes quite a difference, but I think your voice still sounds flat compared with everything else. The notes seem right, but there isn't any emotion in them, or the emotion you're using just doesn't match up with the accompaniment.

There's such a great potential for this mix, I'm glad you're perfecting it and not hastily submitting it. Good luck!

The voice has a twang to it that I would expect to hear in a theatrical production, without the volume that I'd associate with that backdrop.

I guess the thing that messes with my head is what I've become accustomed to from processed, recorded music.

It's certainly not bad, but it's not the best either.

Great relaxing background though.

Well, I'm torn. I've grown so used to the original voice, that I'm sad to hear it changed. In the end, I think this could sound good, but the echo needs to be turned down a bit, it's too much right now, makes her sound like she's in a different environment than the wide open beaches the song inspires.

• 1 month later...