OCR00602 - Lagoon "Dwarfunk"

orkybash

• 8 months later...

This mix is simply awesome. First, I always liked the music from this game, and it's great to hear a mix from an overlooked title.

My favorite aspect of this mix is that the style and instruments (esp. the organ) preserve the feel of the original, while raising the depth and richness several notches. The funk style fits, and the funk guitar works well as a subtle extra.

The lead-guitar sound and scales are excellent: reminds of the Transformers the Movie soundtrack at times. My favorite part though is the deeper distorted guitar sound - it adds depth and a hint of menace.

The mix itself is high-quality, varied, and well produced. Well worth the download.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...

Ah, this feels like something that could have been a soundtrack from way back when if designers would have cared more about sound quality.

Gotta say I love the instruments on this one. It's interesting, and frankly, I just think it's biggest flaw is that its short. Overall this is a good original song, and it's taking chances and it goes in a direction I kinda wish we heard more often.

This mix is aptly named: It's short and it brings the funk! From the first five seconds you can tell that this mix stands out from being very different from everything else on OCR. It's very well-made and extremely entertaining.

In response to the comment made five years ago, while the organ sample isn't the best quality, I think it ultimately works in the mix's favor, and complements the arrangement's feel quite nicely.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Gotta say for 2002, the quality is pretty great. I've never played the game, but having just listened to the original source before this, I can say that the tempo slow down totally works. It ends up reminding me of something I might hear from the Jazz Jackrabbit series. Some of the added arrangement is really cool, like the short but sweet solo at 1:23.

As others have said before me, this one could do with an upgrade in production but, it has aged very well. Good stuff. 

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00602 - Lagoon "Dwarfunk"