3DS RPG Recommendations?

Meteo Xavier

Well sir, it's that time of the year where I baffle the Ocremix community by making my own damn birthday thread, and this year as opposed to doing it early, I'm doing it almost a full month LATE.

Happy belated Birthday to me!

But more importantly, I'd been gifted with birthday money this year and one of the things I got was a damn good deal on a 3DS XL that I just couldn't pass up. I have other money coming it later this month, so I'm building a list of games to get with it once that comes in (after other obligations are taken care of). The hardest ones I'm trying to decide on are the RPGs, and that's where we're at today!

I've already got Bravely Default, Etrian Odyssey IV and maybe A Link Between Worlds on my list, what else has been physically released that's pretty close to the standard JRPG format? I'm not into Pokemon style games, RPGs that are largely just collections of quests, and I already have Etrian Odyssey for first-person dungeon crawling. I've had my eye on the several Shin Megami Tensei games for the 3DS, but I've never played one and don't know how they play. Games that require you to "capture" new party members kinda drive me nuts, but I feel like my 3DS library needs a Persona or Tensei game of some kind.

Sorry to be so picky, but that's what happens when you've been gaming for 26 years and suddenly have a major resurgence of interest in new stuff that's likely coming from the meds you're taking. :D

First of all. Happy Birthday.

Well, Bravely Default is a must have, it has a great storyline (which can become cumbersome later on, but it's not that problematic), but of all the 3DS RPGs I played until now, this was the most capturing.

A Link Between Worlds has a real LttP feel and some areas really benefit from the added 3D effect (the inside of the volcano!!!), but it's a bit short.

Shin Megami Tensei: Soul Hackers is ok, I've not yet played through it, because I didn't have the right mindset for it. Unfortunately the release of SMTIV was totally delayed in Europe so I haven't bought it yet, because of that.

Like AngelCityOutlaw said, Fire Emblem is a must.

Additionally I can recommend Harvest Moon: A New Beginning, if you like games like this

aw Happy Birthday :D

Dawn of Heroes has been alright so far. :) It's a neat tactical combat game, even if the graphics are dated. Intentionally? cheesy dialogue too. Quirky. c:

Also look into Dragon Quest DS/3DS games. I've heard good things about 9, but haven't tried it yet. ^_^

I used to have Fire Emblem for the Gamecube until I found it way too difficult to enjoy. It was fun while it lasted, but man, I'm just not the right cut for a game like that. I've avoided Fire Emblem ever since (and they're also pricey as fuck and just as hard to find).

Dragon Quest VII I'd go for if I didn't rebuy the PS1 game.

Among the Tensei games, Soul Hackers does look closest to what I might be interested in considering it's a remake of a Sega Saturn game and apparently plays like it did come out of 1997, but I'm still weighing considerations for it.

Good suggestions, gents! Let's keep it going. :D

Fire Emblem: Awakening is significantly easier than previous titles in the series in that it does away with permadeath as long as you play on Casual mode. Units defeated in combat are simply out for the rest of the battle, and return for the next fight none the worse for wear. (With the exceptions of the main characters, who still trigger an immediate game over if they die.) There's also some limited grinding possible, so you can level your units without having to progress the story if you find that you need to.

Other than FE:A and Bravely Default (which I haven't played myself, but I've heard almost universally good things about if you like classic JRPGs), I'd also recommend Fantasy Life. It's an action RPG with about a dozen different classes, which you can switch between as you please. Only four of them are combat classes, with the remainder being either crafters (smith, alchemist, etc) or gatherers (miner, fisherman, etc). The plot is pretty basic (solve the mystery, save the world, etc) but the characters are entertaining and the writing is amusing as hell. It's all very tongue in cheek, poking fun at its own silliness while still taking itself seriously.

Other stuff off the top of my head that the 3DS has for RPGs: Shin Megami Tensei IV, Pokemon X/Y and Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby, and the port of Xenoblade Chronicles for the New 3DS.

Fire Emblem: Awakening is significantly easier than previous titles in the series in that it does away with permadeath as long as you play on Casual mode. Units defeated in combat are simply out for the rest of the battle, and return for the next fight none the worse for wear. (With the exceptions of the main characters, who still trigger an immediate game over if they die.) There's also some limited grinding possible, so you can level your units without having to progress the story if you find that you need to.

On the normal difficulty, even with permadeath enabled, the game becomes way too easy once you re-class and level up everyone.

By chapter 16 or so I can pretty much leave Lucina on the field by herself and watch the mooks AND the boss (even Grima) kill themselves on her. Still fun as hell though.

Other than FE:A and Bravely Default (which I haven't played myself, but I've heard almost universally good things about if you like classic JRPGs), I'd also recommend Fantasy Life. It's an action RPG with about a dozen different classes, which you can switch between as you please. Only four of them are combat classes, with the remainder being either crafters (smith, alchemist, etc) or gatherers (miner, fisherman, etc). The plot is pretty basic (solve the mystery, save the world, etc) but the characters are entertaining and the writing is amusing as hell. It's all very tongue in cheek, poking fun at its own silliness while still taking itself seriously.

Other stuff off the top of my head that the 3DS has for RPGs: Shin Megami Tensei IV, Pokemon X/Y and Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby, and the port of Xenoblade Chronicles for the New 3DS.

I second Bravely Default. The game is awesome and the music is amazing. Fantasy Life is also a fun game, but more so with friends.. To make it really shine the DLC helps a bit and adds a lot of content to it. I also recommend any Etrian Odyssey games if you enjoyed them on the DS. (One was remade, with two on the way this year.) I'm also hoping to hear more on a release for Final Fantasy Explorers here in the states.

I'd had my eye on Etrian Odyssey for a long time, but never got to try it. The 4th one I hear branches out beyond the one dungeon/labyrinth thing which is excellent for me.

I would totally get that Xenoblade if I didn't already have it for the Wii (I was smart to get that before it became as expensive as it is) and I only recently just beat it. 176 hours. Holy fucking shit, I've never spent so much time on one playthrough a game in my life! I loved just about every minute of it too, but I think I never need to buy another Xeno anything again as long as I live. :P

Fantasy Life I'll look into, I hadn't previously considered that one.

As I pare down to it, the SMT: Soul Hackers looks like it might be the one I go with as far as Shin Megami Tensei's concerned. It does look to fit my overly specific requirements nicely...

For RPG beat-em-up you got code of princess. Project X Zone is another possible strategy RPG to play. Though its main draw is the "OMG its ryu fighting with Morrigan and Mega man!". Honestly it would be my top RPG if it had more attacks than up+a,down+a, and right+a; it looks cooler than it plays. Also maybe check out code name: steam? I'm not grabbing it til I have the amiibos to play it *insert amiibo dlc bs rant here*

Second for bravely default, radiant historia, Mario & Luigi.

I really like SMTIV. The first 4 hours or so are known for being very difficult though, and I would say the game is generally harder than your average JRPG. It is not Persona 3/4 by any stretch of the imagination.

If you didn't play it when it got released on the DS initially, you need to go buy Radiant Historia. It feels like a lost SNES RPG and is fantastic. It's not a 3DS game, but I like it better than any of the 3DS JRPG's.

Someone done neutered my birthday topic! :P

For DS RPGs, I wanted to experiment with my brother's R4i flashcart and see if I wanted one of those for myself. Radiant historia and DQIX I definitely wanted to try, but I want to try those emulated before I would commit. Much harder to do that with 3DS so I won't be emulating on that until Nintendo stops supporting it.

SMTIV looked interesting to me, but I wasn't really feeling the European/Samurai vibe going on. I like the atmosphere of the Megami games taking place in fictional modern atmospheres better.

Anyone played Conception II? It has some mixed reviews, but it kinda looks interesting...

Someone done neutered my birthday topic! :P

For DS RPGs, I wanted to experiment with my brother's R4i flashcart and see if I wanted one of those for myself. Radiant historia and DQIX I definitely wanted to try, but I want to try those emulated before I would commit. Much harder to do that with 3DS so I won't be emulating on that until Nintendo stops supporting it.

SMTIV looked interesting to me, but I wasn't really feeling the European/Samurai vibe going on. I like the atmosphere of the Megami games taking place in fictional modern atmospheres better.

Anyone played Conception II? It has some mixed reviews, but it kinda looks interesting...

I've played Conception II myself and I was disappointed with my purchase. A friend of mine gushed over it and when I picked it up.. It became insanely repetitive really fast. And that repetition clung to the entire game. I just couldn't enjoy it even for short periods of time to break it up. Took me ages to beat it playing in short intervals. But it was a chore to play.

After looking more into A Link Between Worlds, I'm going to give it a miss for now. It seems they have altered the formula in it to better resemble the first Zelda which, while I enjoy, is not my favorite of the series. Zelda 3 is my favorite and I had hoped it would follow the formula I was more used to. :P

So I'm replacing it with Castlevania Mirror of Fate and I just may need to wait until other physical RPGs are released. Feels weird to wait on new releases again, and even weirder still that almost every website I look up for upcoming releases seems to show a small amount of titles. Is that normal? I haven't really followed a still-supported system for quite a few years. :P

CRIMSON SHROUD!

I almost forgot about this! It's a relatively small game designed by Yasumi Matsuno (Ivalice Alliance + Tactics Ogre), but based on emulating the aesthetic of a tabletop adventure. A fun experiment, if nothing else, and it's got one of Hitoshi Sakimoto (and co.)'s

, in my opinion.

did a brief recommendation of it, and since the normal trailer for the game has no gameplay footage, I figure it's a better demonstration.

Hmm... that pedigree is hard to ignore, but I know pretty much nothing on tabletop RPG anything. I don't know if I'd get the appeal or entertainment value out of it.

Edit: I just discovered Etrian Odyssey: The Millenium Girl is half price on eShop - $14.99. Anyone played this? How hardcore is the remake on the old-school dungeon crawling format?

Edited by Meteo Xavier