3DS RPG Recommendations?

Meteo Xavier

I played it. It's good. EO4 is also good. Untold is like 2 games in one, even. There's the classic mode which has you build your own party, and the story mode, which has additional areas to explore.

Also, get Rune Factory 4 if you can. Just do it. It's one of the best RPGs I've ever played. Loads of content.

Happy belated birthday :mrgreen: If you haven't bought anything yet I would suggest you Dragon Quest IX and Radiant Historia, I find them entretetaining.

Dragon Quest IX hasn't a great plot but you can still play after you complete the game doing random dungeons and has a lot items, and Radiant Historia got a good plot, and good game mechanics. You can also buy Bravely Second, buy I haven't played yet.

Edit: I just discovered Etrian Odyssey: The Millenium Girl is half price on eShop - $14.99. Anyone played this? How hardcore is the remake on the old-school dungeon crawling format?

The remake is very much like the original if you're not playing in Story Mode. If you are, your party is fixed (both gender, appearance, class, and name), and compared to the original, you visit some places a bit out of sequence - with the monsters toned down for appropriate levels, of course - or they added a new zone for the story; I haven't finished yet, so I'm not sure which. Basically, it's the same game, just improved for the 3DS.

I'd reconsider Link Between Worlds if I were you; it felt very much like Link To The Past to me and not at all like the Legend of Zelda, which is also my favourite game in the series.

If you're even a modest a fan of Harvest Moon games, I highly recommend the Rune Factory series. I have 3 and 4 and have finished the first two previously. It's a great blend of dungeon crawling, crafting, and farming, and you don't need to spend long chunks of time in a row doing any one thing. The first one was somewhat broken in that you could only complete 4 dungeons until the start of Winter - one dungeon was only accessible when a lake froze over - yet you'd be done the previous dungeons *well* before then, but it was still a good game, and the series has improved as it's gone on. (I still believe that in the first game, provided you manipulate the weather by saving before you go to bed and reloading on a rainy or stormy day where you either can't drop off or pick up a tool to be upgraded, or can't go out at all, it's possible to earn enough gold and collect enough wood before the end of Spring 20 to start your house upgrade, making it complete on Summer 1, which means you can have bought all the additional furnishings for your house by the end of Summer. I got really close once; I'll have to try this again sometime).

Edited by Kanthos

I never played the first one. I always wanted to, but it seemed like it was a little bit older-style RPG than I was raised with (making your own maps? Say whut) but this one seemed like an awesome package where I could have two versions of an awesome game at once.

The remake has just as much mapmaking. It's not that bad, though, plus if you like, people have uploaded all the maps so you could draw them on and then go. I think it's a neat touch, though; it makes the game be more than just another easy JRPG.