WIP - Chrono Trigger: Frog's Theme (Jazz-Hop)

Antisheep

Amphibious

I'm actually doing this for a fun little experiment I'm part of at another web site, but I'll submit it to OCR if I think it stands a chance.

The bass/rhythm guitar/lead guitar are all recorded by me, and drums and keyboard are sampled/soundfonted. I need to re-record most of it, but what I have down is pretty decent.

I'm going to add an improv solo section for guitar and possibly keys, and then an outro.

Edit: Forgot to ask - is this too far from the original tune to be an OC Remix? The only real similarity is the melody.

This is slick, very slick. But I can only hear very very small parts of melody of frogs theme. Try to incorporate more of the melody, otherwise its more of an orginal than an remix. But what you have here is very very good. Do you have any other tracks? I'd love to hear them. :)

Basically the only thing the judges here could have a problem with is a slight lack of frog's theme. But in all reality, this song is wayyyy too good to change too much. If it doesnt pass the interpretations standards, then so what.

It would be cool to see this on the site, but not if it compromises the awesomeness that this track is.

I'm going to have to disagree... I think there's plenty of the original melody in there. Hell, it's more common for a remix to be rejected for not having enough originality than vice versa.

And very nice WIP too. It's one of a very few WIPs I've actually enjoyed enough to keep and relisten to in its incomplete form :)

DEFINITELY submit this, the arrangement is amazing, and I'm not totally sure about the production since I haven't used my earphones, but it should be all fine if you're playing three of the instruments yourself.

It actually reminds me of Carlos Santana quite a lot, which is a GOOD thing. :lol:

As for the original melody, excellent job transposing it, it takes some attention to recognize it, but it's definitely in there. If you extend it to somewhere like three minutes, this could become one helluva arrangement, and definitely one that merits a place on my mp3 player. :wink::lol:

O_O

Damn fine remix, I mean, DAMN fine remix. I can definately see the relation between this and Frog's Theme but I can definately see this not being accepted because your average joe may not. If I were you I'd put in the real notes to Frog's Theme somewhere just so people can actually recognize it and go "ooooh, so THATS what this song is" instead of just improving around the structure and chords of it you should be fine. Very nice work.

This is pretty damn cool. Reminds of me of po's megaman remix. The snare/clap sound kinda bugs me but that's a tiny nitpick thing.

I think as long as the solos you said you'd add have some references to the source it would be fine.

edit: actually forget that, Neskvartetten have tons of remixes where the solos have no connection to the source. I think this has a perfect amount of the source material right now.

damn that was refreshing, wicked nice, i would say do what you can to get this on the site bc it deserves to be, but don't jeopardize the sound of this just to implement a more noticeable part of frog's theme, obviously it would be awesome if you did put in more of frog's theme and still kept this incredible sound, very well put together keep on experimenting

Okay, I've decided that where the demo leaves off, I'm going to have a solo section where the keyboard, bass, and guitar (probably in that order) get to solo. It's going to be hard to have them interact like a real jazz rhythm section would since it's not going to be a live recording, but I'm going to try my best.

:) thanks for the feedback, all. I'll make sure to be true to the sound instead of to what I think will be more "OCR". ^_^

Holy shit, this is nice!

Wow, I can't get over how awesome this is. Production sounds absolutely professional, arrangement is smooth and sexy beyond description, guitars are great.

My only complaint is the percussion; not wild about either the samples or the arrangement. Definitely needs more dynamics, and I'd back off a little on the treble.

You can bet I'll be keeping a close watch on this WIP, as well as anything you post in the future.

As far as whether it is close enough to frog's theme, I don't think it is anywhere near liberal enough to be a problem; it's recognizeable at first listen, and it's avery creative take on it. It's not too far from the original to be accepted; in fact, I think this is exactly the sort of thing that remixers should aim for.

Again, just for emphasis, this mix is absolutely fucking amazing.

A great start for a WIP. Everything is clean and crisp sounding, and the guitar is excellently used. One of my only irks are the hand claps, perhaps get a better sounding clap or use multiple dynamics in the mix. At 1:09 the guitar gets a bit too loud and jolts you out of the smooth jazz lull you have going. Tone that down and change the claps and you should be good. If you want to be completely sure the mix gets accepted, as stated above, incorporate a little more of Frog's Theme into the mix. Nothing too much, just a slight alteration to make the original piece come in better. I look foward to seeing your future remixes and good luck. :)

Submit.

That's my first impression. This is amazing. If I had to make some suggestions to improve on it more, here's what I would do. One would be to pan your drums a little more and/or add slight reverb to them. They are somewhat dry and centered right now, which isn't a huge deal, but widening them and adding some verb would certainly make a difference. Another thing would be to write an actual ending rather than use a fadeout. Given how short the mix is, a fade is a bit lame. Lastly, while I can easily pick out the melody, since the mix IS on the short side you might consider doing a little bit more with the theme. Maybe do a more straight-up play of it right before ending, for example; just something to solidify it a bit more.

All that aside, I think if I were asked to vote on this right now I would likely go YES.

Geoffrey Taucer, OA, and Zircon: That's great that you think I should extend it. Maybe next time take note of the big, captial "WIP" in the thread title? =P (And the other posts where I said there would be more)

(Thanks for the feedback though :P)

Geoffrey Taucer, OA, and Zircon: That's great that you think I should extend it. Maybe next time take note of the big, captial "WIP" in the thread title? =P (And the other posts where I said there would be more)

yeah, I know; I was responding to zircon's comment that you should submit it now.

Hey, I think I know what the point of the WIP forum is.. I am a judge, after all ;) It's just that lots of times, people post WIPs with finished arrangements, but they want production advice, or advice before they submit, etc. So it has become a habit for me to simply give my suggestions in all areas of the mix.

Absolutely amazing track. I love this style of jazz music and actually own two albums by Four80East (a jazz band that makes similar kind of music). This almost sounds like a long lost track from the Brink of Time CT album, at least in general style. Production is great as well.

Now, I am not the most competent person around, far from it, but for the life of me I can't hear Frog's Theme anywhere. People here were saying that there was not enough of it, well, I don't even hear hints of it. For example, the Brink of Time soundtrack perfectly translated many CT themes to acid jazz remixes while keeping them completely recognizable. This is a great track, but it is really an original rather than a rearrangement.

If I am wrong, someone please step in and correct me. Cause there is a chance I am going crazy.

I like it. 8) We need to see more of these mixes! Smooth sounding, nice bass sound and guitar is also sweet. I did't feel the frog theme too much though, but that aside it's very tasteful. If I had to come with only one complaint (which of course, i must) it would be the percussion and 'claps'. It's a good beat, but i think it could be a little tighter/more groovy. Still i must say it's one of the better wip's i've heard lately! :wink: