Turntables and Scratching

I hate thread titles like that sorry, but I could not think of a simple way to put it.

So my question is....

I want to try my hand at turntables/scratching (not even sure if thats the term) but I have no exp. not much cash, and hardely any knowldge of it, any advice on where to start?

step 1. Get a job and save up. If you're working 2 jobs just to support yourself, try to go to a garage sale or something, or Ebay (sorry I said it). Maybe somebody can recommend a really really good deal here.

step 2. Learn some prior knowledge I suppose:

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/pages.cfm/id/25

any miscellaneous pages about turntables, look at buyer's guides, etc.

http://www.russandrews.com/article-Turntable-Guide-ttintro.htm

step 3. Practice turntable use. (Or look at guides or find a tutor.)

This is exactly what my friend is doing for his turntable. It's pretty common sense. If you don't have experience, practice. If you don't have money, well, yeah.

DJ Forums has a couple of nice tutorials for choosing a turntable and maintaining/cleaning it.

What is your budget? Don't skimp on purchases. From the general consensus I got from other DJs on-and off-line, stay away from the Gemini and American DJ brands. And under any circumstances don't get belt-drive tables. The belt snaps easily with the continuous stress caused by holding and moving the platter. Buying better turntables helps in learning your skills and you won't outgrow them quick.

Technics, Numark and Stanton are good brands to start out with. Techs are expensive due to their great reputation, but you can find used ones for $250 each. They also keep their resale value which is great if it turns out you don't want to mix/scratch anymore and want to sell them.

• 1 year later...

I want to buy a quality CD turntable, but I am not sure what to get. I'd like to stay below the $200 mark if at all possible, but I might be willing to go $300. I've been looking around, and there are loads of players. I am basically just asking for some experienced advice on a few quality choices. I'm not exactly looking to scratch, but that'd be a nice feature.

don't mean to reiterate what everybody else has been saying but indeed, stay away from belt-drive turntables (if you scratch as violently as i do, at least) and practice insanely. scratching is a muscle memory type of ability. once you got the touch in your fingers and your ear is accustomed to picking up the beat (beginners usually use the snare or clap of a track to guide them), you will then be able to do anything you'd like.

it is ultimately a familiarity type of art and your build that familiarity from standing at that turntable for hours.

I want to buy a quality CD turntable, but I am not sure what to get. I'd like to stay below the $200 mark if at all possible, but I might be willing to go $300. I've been looking around, and there are loads of players. I am basically just asking for some experienced advice on a few quality choices. I'm not exactly looking to scratch, but that'd be a nice feature.

look into djconsole. i forgot the exact model name but their CD turntable ain't bad. they also have one that uses mp3s off the computer through an intuitive and easy to use software program... the waveform preview panel is brilliant... it allows you to literally visualize what a traditional DJ would do with his ears... you can line up the waveforms as you see fit to mix channels in and out and do whatever it is that you're doing.

i know most of what i said makes no sense but i sometimes have trouble explaining things. if i find out the exact model, i'll come back and post it - i know its affordable and very likely under 200 or right at it. good luck.

I find the most economic and practical solution is to invest in a scratching program (Serato and Traktor being the two biggest ones I know of) and then get a USB turntable. Then you can scratch all your music files.

ok which brings me to the main question: the USB turntable... is it pads or an actual vinyl?

my fingers are used to real vinyl but i dunno what options i have

ok which brings me to the main question: the USB turntable... is it pads or an actual vinyl?

my fingers are used to real vinyl but i dunno what options i have

I would think he's talking about a regular turnable with a USB interface. I've never used one myself. I'm pretty sure the majority of them are belt driven, though. I'm no DJ, but I've read that direct drive is preferred.

(EDIT: Upon closer inspection, it looks like there are several USB turntables of the direct drive variety.)

I was mistaken. A USB turntable is meant for digitizing vinyl. However, there is specially pressed vinyl meant for doing what I described, including Final Scratch and Traktor Scratch.

I would be curious to hear about the CD turntables you use, Tweek. Do they move as well as the vinyl? Can you only jog CDs, or can it function as a controller for hard-disk based .wav files?

• 3 weeks later...