Punch-Out!!: Fight Theme - Guitar Cover

JeffKekenj

For this cover I tried changing some things up, added trumpets and strings higher in the mix, as well as wider shots with me actually in the picture. I also tried blending both the old theme and the new, along with my own solos. Enjoy.

LINKS:

MP3 Download: https://soundcloud.com/askeguitar/punchout-fight-theme-jeff-kekenj

https://twitter.com/AskeGuitar92

https://soundcloud.com/askeguitar/

Nicely Done, and great playing.

(thats a Beatiful Ibanez guitar)

In the mix department I think the brass and Strings are a little too high for my taste and the drum set is a sometimes lost in the mix, But overall is pretty solid.

BTW, I always ask, how do you make your guitar tones?

Edited by gercr

It sounds great for me (great solo btw), even better than the original! looks promising, lets see what the other people think.

Thank you, the solos were a last minute decision.

Nicely Done, and great playing.

(thats a Beatiful Ibanez guitar)

In the mix department I think the brass and Strings are a little too high for my taste and the drum set is a sometimes lost in the mix, But overall is pretty solid.

BTW, I always ask, how do you make your guitar tones?

Thanks. This cover I tried allowing the brass to be higher instead of it sitting back in the mix just because I felt with the style of this cover it'd be interesting to try. I layered the lead guitars, 30% per channel, and hard panned the rhythms. For tones I used the EZmix presets, messed around with them a bit until I got a sound I liked.

I'll be a bit nitpicky here (sorry!).

I don't particularly enjoy the drums here. I feel they don't sound powerful enough (snare is super weak) and you tried to mess too much with the rhytm to make it interesting, but instead it made the song lose power. The hats don't sound too good either.

Your playing is great! Nice vibrattos and bends, they sound very good. However, you should be wary of them when the guitar plays together with the brass, since I noticed some clashing notes there.

Regarding the general mix, I'd lower the rhytm guitars a bit since they overpower the rest of the instruments. The brass instruments could also sound a bit more clear. I don't know how you panned the song but maybe some panning could help the brass samples gain some space.

Anyway, I hope it didn't sound too harsh but I think this has potential and could sound awesome with some adjustments!

I'll be a bit nitpicky here (sorry!).

I don't particularly enjoy the drums here. I feel they don't sound powerful enough (snare is super weak) and you tried to mess too much with the rhytm to make it interesting, but instead it made the song lose power. The hats don't sound too good either.

Your playing is great! Nice vibrattos and bends, they sound very good. However, you should be wary of them when the guitar plays together with the brass, since I noticed some clashing notes there.

Regarding the general mix, I'd lower the rhytm guitars a bit since they overpower the rest of the instruments. The brass instruments could also sound a bit more clear. I don't know how you panned the song but maybe some panning could help the brass samples gain some space.

Anyway, I hope it didn't sound too harsh but I think this has potential and could sound awesome with some adjustments!

I would agree with you on the drums, and there is a reason for that. First off, I'm glad everyone enjoys my playing and guitar arranging parts, although that's been criticized too in the past. Those are the parts I spend the most time on, and felt the most comfortable about.

With the drums, I just used a premade midi track that I found, and after having uploaded it, kind of wished I took the time to make my own track that wasn't so busy.

With the rest of the critique, I have mixed results saying the opposite of what you said. Specifically, people have commented saying that the rhythm guitars in the past were too low and unclear. Also, some people said the brass is too high here, and it is panned just to be clear.

I guess that's with everything though, every time I upload something I get a comment suggesting another fix, but mixing is a balance game so its difficult to get everything in.