I really love TOKUSATSU music!

DarkeSword

As a lot of you know I'm a big fan of tokusatsu shows like Kamen Rider and Super Sentai. One of the things I really love about these shows is the music. I'm gonna be posting a track from a toku show every couple of days that I really like so you guys can enjoy too.

FIRST UP is the theme song from the currently running Kamen Rider show, Kamen Rider Drive

This is SURPRISE-DRIVE by Mitsuru Matsuoka! It's a really awesome, uplifting song with some awesome guitar stuff going on. Lots of energy, great melody, just all around fantastic.

I use this song when I teach people how secondary dominants (such as the one at :52) work. It's the only example I can point to where people are like "oh yeah. I hear what you mean"; it doesn't work when I use any Common Practice music. xP

"It's in a major key, but they're temporarily setting up a dominant-tonic relationship on the relative minor tonic chord!"

As a lot of you know I'm a big fan of tokusatsu shows like Kamen Rider and Super Sentai. One of the things I really love about these shows is the music. I'm gonna be posting a track from a toku show every couple of days that I really like so you guys can enjoy too.

FIRST UP is the theme song from the currently running Kamen Rider show, Kamen Rider Drive

This is SURPRISE-DRIVE by Mitsuru Matsuoka! It's a really awesome, uplifting song with some awesome guitar stuff going on. Lots of energy, great melody, just all around fantastic.

This is really good.

Where's my GACKT!?!?!

Good question! Today's song is Journey Through the Decade, by GACKT. It's the opening from Kamen Rider Decade, the Heisei anniversary series that saw the return of TONS of Kamen Riders.

Gackt's performance in this is great, and I love the smooth soundscape over all those crunchy guitars underneath. SO GOOD!

the first song is awesome :-)

others are good too, but the first is the best

You might find this to be interesting. Tatsuo, the guitarist for Earnest Drive, plays through the entire song, breaking down the lead guitar parts in detail!

__

Tonight's track is the opening theme from Ressha Sentai ToQger, by Daiki Ise!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpeSSoXHWjk

This song is pure major key goodness. I love the chorus, and can't help but cheer "GO GO GO GO GO" over and over again.

Next up is probably one of my favorite new toku songs. I couldn't find a YouTube video of this one, but someone uploaded the song to soundcloud.

This is the theme of Kamen Rider #3, from the latest Kamen Rider movie. It's sung by the actor that plays the character, Mitsuhiro Oikawa. It's called Who's That Guy?

https://soundcloud.com/njs10/kamen-rider-3-whos-that-guy-full

This song is such a change of pace from the typical J-rock you usually get in Kamen Rider; really synthy texture, killer beats, and great vocals. Hit it!

Right? I love it.

Up next is a blast from the past. It's the opening to 2003's Kamen Rider series, Kamen Rider 555. Here's Justiφ's ("Justifaiz") by ISSA.

This song's got a great driving beat and the melody in the verse is awesome. Also love the random English thrown in, like "can you feel?" and "time to go." xD

CLASSIC!