Korg M01D

This app is currently on sale at Nintendo eShop for $17.00 and I feel like it may be a great opportunity to finally get to create the more simplified MIDI-ish music I've wanted to make without having to mix it and arrange it in my huge DAW setup.

Has anyone ever used or made any tunes on this? I love the idea of not being exclusively shackled to this computer to generate tunes anymore, but I've never composed outside of a piano and Fl Studio before. I have no idea how this kind of step sequencer works. Been watching videos on it, but I still don't quite get it (or haven't seen really what I'm missing yet).

So I guess the short way to ask is how hard it would be for a hardcore FL Studio guy to translate to Korg M01D. If I had more than $30 outside my regularly budgeted items to spend, I'd just go ahead and get it, but until then I need to be extra cautious.

It's pretty linear. Look up a few demos on YouTube if you want--you basically have 64 patterns to work with at any given time, and they're in place. Just gotta compose the song in order, basically, from start to finish, although I think you can insert and remove patterns.

Also, if you're familiar with step sequencing via the piano roll in FL, then this isn't really much of a stretch. I picked it up quickly. 

A couple reviews:

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/3ds-eshop/korg_m01d

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2013/12/korg-m01d-nintendo-3ds-surprising-sequencing-mobile-music-workstation/

And here's the manual as .bmp files (yeah, that's how they distribute it): 

http://www.detune.co.jp/_src/sc851/KORG_M01D_e_manual_bmps_for_US.zip

That should help a bit, too, if you haven't already seen those links.

i wish i could find a mobile sequencer that has as much lasting appeal as FL for me.

i've been looking for it since almost 10 years, on and off. 2006 i got nanoloop for the old GB, and that was a bit of a revelation because it was so simple and limited. a year later i got LSDJ, which is way more powerful but also way harder to operate. i made one song i liked on it, but soon got fed up with identifying lots of numbers on this tiny screen.

when the ipad came, i thought all this would change a lot. didn't really for me though. i'm not even sure i like the touch paradigm for hardcore sequencing now. i've seen a lot of sequencers on ipad that look awesome, had awesome features, and still were kind of painful to operate.

my advice in general is, look for something that's so simple that it doesn't compete with your desktop DAW on many levels. because if it does, it'll likely lose.

look for stuff that doesn't try to cram PC functionality into a mobile device, but instead is about a satisfying experience on whatever thing it was created for.

i don't know if this one is good, but it looks relatively focused and simple.