Metal - looking for new music

Nase

Well, I'm mainly Power Metal listener, so of course I'll recommend Edguy (and not just because they're from my hometown)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrfNe57cxNA

I'm mainly a power metal fan as well. Dragons ftw.

Edguy is one of my favorite bands! Though I wasn't a huge fan of Age of The Joker and whatever one was before that. Speaking of power metal bands, I guess this would be considered a "classic" album of the genre by some at this point.

\m/

Civil War "Bay Of Pigs"

Their "thing" is writing songs that deal with wars and such, with a lead singer who sounds like a 50/50 blend of Ronnie James Dio and Kevin DuBrow. Not the best stuff I've ever heard, but it's not bad either.

And here's Powerwolf's latest, "Army Of The Night." Ignore the lyrics on the screen, as there are quite a few spots that are wrong. Better listen to it before it gets yanked...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeXGA-cr3dQ

Kamelot has a new album.

Indeed. Sadly, I'd say Veil of Elysium along with Insomnia and Beautiful Apocalypse are the best songs on it - the rest is kind of underwhelming. The special edition I got came with a bonus disc of orchestral and other instrumental arrangements of the album and as crazy as it sounds, I actually preferred that CD over the regular version lol.

I saw Kamelot live with Dragonforce on Monday night - it was awesome!

Kamelot? Underwhelming? No way.... :P

Honestly I haven't heard the albums with the new singer, because at least to me that is not Kamelot. Sorta like how Nightwish without Tarja was not Nightwish... I'm sure it is good stuff but it's just not the same. Kinda like how Opeth became grandpa guitar music, like a completely different band exploiting the name rather than starting a new side project. 

Anyways here's an album that really blew me away recently, been listening to it so much. I posted in off topic about CDs you bought recently, but I'll double dip it here cause it's REALLY good. 

Listen to track 4 at 23:17 those vocal harmonies are amazing.

They use growls on the album but they're so infrequent that when they finally DO appear, they have so much more power and impact. 

Honestly I haven't heard the albums with the new singer, because at least to me that is not Kamelot. Sorta like how Nightwish without Tarja was not Nightwish... I'm sure it is good stuff but it's just not the same. Kinda like how Opeth became grandpa guitar music, like a completely different band exploiting the name rather than starting a new side project. 

Anyways here's an album that really blew me away recently, been listening to it so much. I posted in off topic about CDs you bought recently, but I'll double dip it here cause it's REALLY good. 

Listen to track 4 at 23:17 those vocal harmonies are amazing.

They use growls on the album but they're so infrequent that when they finally DO appear, they have so much more power and impact. 

Honestly, I don't get the hate for Tommy Karevik since he sounds just like Roy. 

Also, the blast beats caught me by surprise given the cover of that "quiet world" album. It's not bad, but it's a little too "prog" for my tastes.

Tommy Karevik sounds so much like Roy that it's honestly frightening. Listen to Silverthorn and you'll pretty much find that it's hard to not think that it's Roy singing instead of Tommy.

Indeed. Sadly, I'd say Veil of Elysium along with Insomnia and Beautiful Apocalypse are the best songs on it - the rest is kind of underwhelming. The special edition I got came with a bonus disc of orchestral and other instrumental arrangements of the album and as crazy as it sounds, I actually preferred that CD over the regular version lol.

I saw Kamelot live with Dragonforce on Monday night - it was awesome!

Citizen Zero and My Therapy are great too, off the top of my head.  And I gotta say, Under Grey Skies is one of the best ballads they've ever done.  Not as good as Abandoned but it's right up there.  I have yet to listen to the bonus disc, but I did like the acoustic version of Veil of Elysium.

Citizen Zero and My Therapy are great too, off the top of my head.  And I gotta say, Under Grey Skies is one of the best ballads they've ever done.  Not as good as Abandoned but it's right up there.  I have yet to listen to the bonus disc, but I did like the acoustic version of Veil of Elysium.

I still think "Love you to death" is their best ballad and song in general. I don't care how unmanly it sounds. 

We need some Battle Beast up in this bitch. I know a lot of people hate them, but come on...Noora's voice is amazing and diverse.

Also, as far as more extreme metal goes, I recently discovered this band, who posted their entire album to YouTube. Good stuff

I'm seeing a lot of power metal fans in here. Cool! I haven't been heavily into power metal since around high school. Nowadays I still jam on the traditional stuff like Helloween and early Blind Guardian. I guess my go to is more the stuff that doesn't usually have keyboards. I really dig the stuff that is at the intersection of power metal, thrash and traditional heavy metal. 

One of my favorites is the German band Paradox. They are more talked about in the thrash scene, but their style was closer to what German power metal bands were putting out compared to the Teutonic thrash bands at the time doing more raw and "evil" sounding stuff like Kreator and Sodom. Heresy is a really sick album.

Also a big fan of the traditional USPM bands that play the style I described earlier. Like Sanctuary! I was pretty stoked to hear that they got back together, but Warrel Dane can't do those falsettos at all anymore! I managed to catch them in Seattle about 2 years ago though. They happened to be playing the weekend I visited, which was cool.

And of course there's stuff like Iced Earth, but that was mentioned previously. 

• 2 months later...