Metal - looking for new music

Nase

Honestly, I don't get the hate for Tommy Karevik since he sounds just like Roy. 

Oh no! I missed out on a Kamelot discussion! Okay it's like two months too late, but check out Tommy Karevik's other band, Seventh Wonder:

He's actually a very versatile singer. The reason he sounds so much like Kahn in Kamelot is because Kamelot writes the vocal parts the same way they always have with no regard for what he's actually capable of.

And speaking of more proggy stuff involving that Tommy Karevik has been involved in:

Any Ayreon fans in here? I've discovered a lot of music just from exploring the bands of singers Arjen gets on his albums. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you like clean, but strong vocals, I've been particularly fond of Caligula's Horse lately. They're prog metal, if you like that.

Here are a few of my favorites:

The last one is a slow burn, but it's what got me into them in the first place...especially since I was playing Skyrim when my friend sent me the link. 

They have a new album coming in October. :> Really stoked.

Pagan's Mind kinda dropped the ball after Enigmatic: Calling, and then stopped making albums  :< which may have been a good thing. I feel like their best overall album was Celestial Entrance but they probably couldn't match up to that again... though Enigmatic: Calling was pretty amazing too, probably almost on par. 

Caligula's Horse seems pretty dang cool. 

Pagan's Mind kinda dropped the ball after Enigmatic: Calling, and then stopped making albums  :< which may have been a good thing. I feel like their best overall album was Celestial Entrance but they probably couldn't match up to that again... though Enigmatic: Calling was pretty amazing too, probably almost on par. 

Caligula's Horse seems pretty dang cool. 

What!? How did they drop the ball? They're one of the only bands where I love all of their albums almost equally. Enigmatic: Calling is my favorite though.

• 8 months later...

I'll share some of the bands I listen to:

Tesseract is progressive djent metal band... Or something like that, I get confused by genders often. Anyway, they are characterized by weird rhytms and cool vocal harmonies. Some of their songs have growls and shit like that but they've slowly moven away from that.

Andromeda is a progressive metal band that usually makes very technical songs. The one I link above is one of their ballads where the singer shines. Their instrumentals are pretty good.

Finally, while most people in this thread have probably heard of Symphony X, I want to share what I feel is their most underrated song:

Rediscovery part 2 is one of my favourite metal songs. For the first minutes the song is quite calm and hopeful but then turns darker before having some of SyX's stranger riffs. For some reason this song isn't very popular (unlike some of their other epics like The Divine Wings of Tragedy and The Odyssey) and I believe they have never even played it live. A shame for such an incredible song.

Fear Factory's new album, Genexus, is great, if you're into the more "brutal" side of metal.  Mastodon is kind of a "stoner-metal" band, and I highly recommend them as well.

If you're looking for plain fun, and listen to metal simply for the joy of headbanging and freedom, I highly recommend Alestorm.  They sing about pirates and are mostly nautical in lyrical structure.  If you like gothic power metal, then I recommend Powerwolf.  They are really heavy and catchy, with a Catholic-church theme going on.

I also recommend Battle Beast, who have transcended from more traditional metal to a more 80's-glam style.  They still rock hard though.  And I do not believe that there is a such thing as too much Fear Factory.   :-)

oh btw i remember my love for manowar now

"The Gods Made Heavy Metal"

In the beginning there was silence and darkness
All across the earth
Then came the wind and a hole in the sky
Thunder and lightning came crashing down
Hit the earth and split the ground
Fire burned high in the sky

From down below fire melted the stone
The ground shook and started to pound

The gods made heavy metal and they saw that is was good
They said to play it louder than Hell