New Dragon Ball series!

Pipez

I am SUPER EXCITED about this. I've always had a soft spot for the Dragon Ball series, especially DBZ. It's kind of one of the founding fathers of the shonen battle genre, and to see Toriyama involved in a true continuation of the series makes me so happy. I know people hate on DBZ a lot because of the pacing of the anime and the simple and straightforward escalation tropes in the storyline, but sometimes you just love what you love. I can't wait for this to come out.

i wish they gave the earlier books some love instead. those were the good ones, if u ask me.

after a while, it became this stupid weekly fighting and talking thing. fan fodder.

i know, DBZ is funny and sometimes fun, even. but the first books, let's say until tournament 3 (and that's being generous)....they're the good stuff imo.

i'd love a re-imagining of that.

ok, new story is good, but i doubt it can match the greatness of early dragonball.

dragon ball really is sort of like simpsons to me, coming to think of it.

i wish they rebooted the simpsons too, and cleansed them of all things family guy. but that's another thread i guess.

Very excited about this news. DragonballZ was my very first anime so even though it's not something I've been watching lately (aside from TeamFourStar's DBZAbridged series), I am very eager to check this out when it happens. Hopefully they keep the filler down to a minimum.

Very excited about this news. DragonballZ was my very first anime so even though it's not something I've been watching lately (aside from TeamFourStar's DBZAbridged series), I am very eager to check this out when it happens. Hopefully they keep the filler down to a minimum.

Since it's not being adapted from a manga, there likely won't be any filler. Anime shows only have filler if they need to space out adapted episodes. Plus given that Toei re-released DBZ in a re-cut, re-edited form (Dragon Ball Kai) to improve pacing issues, we know that they're aware of how bad Dragon Ball Z got. Dragon Ball Super will probably be a tighter show.

Awesome news. I hope they manage to do it at a realistic way, without destroying the story of DBZ and DBGT. DBGT is a big problem, since this new serie is after DBZ and probably before DBGT. They can't do much, since the future (DBGT) should not be changed. None of the existing 'good' characters can die without bringing them back with the Dragonballs.

It would be nice if they even can get close to DBZ in popularity.

Awesome news. I hope they manage to do it at a realistic way, without destroying the story of DBZ and DBGT. DBGT is a big problem, since this new serie is after DBZ and probably before DBGT. They can't do much, since the future (DBGT) should not be changed. None of the existing 'good' characters can die without bringing them back with the Dragonballs.

It would be nice if they even can get close to DBZ in popularity.

I think that they will probably ignore GT.  Toriyama was not involved with GT aside from concepts.  I would not be surprised, though if some elements make their way into the new one.

Everyone's all excited that Akira Toriyama is involved, but he was involved with the Cell Saga and onward, too, so...

I enjoyed the Buu Saga, or at least parts of it.  Never got to see the end because of Cartoon Network's looping of the series.

Yeah I'm pretty sure GT is considered non canon since Toriyama wasn't really involved with it. I'd hope they just ignore GT and let the series progress without worrying about keeping true to that storyline. Cool stuff though! I don't care how generic and played out Dragonball got. I would still watch a new series just out of curiosity haha.

I watched Dragonball Z: Battle of Gods awhile back and thought it was pretty solid. It had a much better balance of bantering/posturing with actual action, and managed to retain a bit more of the lighthearted feel of the original Dragonball series (Emperor Pilaf and his goons even make a brief appearance). As I understand it, that movie is going to be considered canon alongside Resurrection of F (which I have yet to see), and the new series should pick up from after those two. Hopefully they keep in line with that feel with the new series, and maybe give a little bit more screentime to the rest of the cast rather than leaving it as the "Goku and the Super Saiyans (but mostly Goku)" show.

Like, I get that he's the main character, and also clearly more powerful than everyone else, but I always felt the show was more fun when it had more of an ensemble cast feel.