DKC2 "The Delay" (Finished?)

noTuX

Can I get a YES?????  

718 members have voted

1. 1. Can I get a YES?????

• HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!
    • I'm not sure.

Yet another crazy mix for ya.

This is one of the most unique mixes I've done yet.

Here, I am attempting to combine the "Stickerbush" and "HotHead Bop" themes. I also use ALOT of effects (mostly the FL delay effect).

I'm trying to do this remix from just my memories, so I didn't use the original tunes. But, if somebody can find them in MP3 format, please link me. In order to combine these two themes, I had to change a few notes here and there, but you should still be able to notice the originals in there.

Its a long way from being finished. I just wanted to get some feedback on it before I go further.

http://www.angelfire.com/blues2/bluemagic/

This track is sounding awesome so far.

Even with all the delay & effects, you can easily find the melody and the beat, and the overall dreamy / chill feel of the song is great.

Since the mp3 just cuts, I'm looking forward to hearing a version of this song with an end.

Hi there!

I'm not a very routinated remixer myself but I'll try to help as much as I can. Personally I love these kind of songs and it all resembles the tune People of the North Pole from FFX. I think I've heard the tune played on xylophone, or what instrument that might be, but not the rest of the song.

Anyway, I'll take it from the beginning til' the end.

Starting of directly, the only thing that may be needed there is some fade-in perhaps, but that's totally up to you.

Otherwise theres only two thing I can complain about; the hi-hat sticks a little too loud and really lacks everything but treble. It really needs more feel to it.

Secondly, there's something about the delayed synth that sounds a little 'nooby', heh :P. I think it is that it sticks out a little much because of the panning. Try to make it not stick out so much and reduce the height of the panningpeaks.

I love the empty-sounding percussion there, and it gets even better when the woodpercussion comes in, maybe you should add some more heavy stuff later on tho.

Personally I suggest you to change the xylophone to piano, but that's mainly just cuz' I like piano more ;P.

The strings sound nice, nothing to change there, and then the bass comes in, nice too. I like the way you add some rimsticks or what it is too keep the rythm progressing. I love rythms so add even more :D

You have quite a lot small things here and there to keep the thing dynamic, that's nice, but in the end it still starts to get a little repetetive. Perhaps you should go in a different direction later on; as I said, why not go more percussive :D.

Anyway, you're songs coming on nicely and even though I got a little tired in the end it's nice so far. Just add things to keep it interesting.

Good luck! ;)

The arrangement here is awesome. Concept is great and stuff. Yeah there's some production issues and what not but it's a wip so whatever.

I have these two songs in mp3...not the greatest quality though since I basically recorded them myself through audacity...but they aren't too bad.

http://canadia2.googlepages.com/05Brambles.mp3

http://canadia2.googlepages.com/10Lava.mp3

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the EQing sounds a bit better now (but not yet perfect) and I added another part, but its still not finished.

I added alot of things and replaced some instruments.

I come to realize that I have not really been staying true to the original tunes, but I hope that wont turn anybody off.

What do you guys think.

love it. ok now on to the constructive ctriticism. Besides going note for note (nothing jumped out at me) my preference would be some some kind of low end sound, yes there are the drums which do go nicely they come in till almost a minute in. Your pads are mainly in the mid range of the sound scape. Just feels like maybe a very low end soft pad could be added througout, it might enhance the already kiick ass feel and vibe of the song.

Right off the bat, this sounds pretty cool. Samples are nothing mind-blowing, but they're used well, and the soundscape is really neat.

I'd make some more changes to that background when the percussion and guitar come in, though; you have a nice into/buildup, but then when it hits the transition into the main mix, nothing really changes aside from the addition of bass, percussion, and guitar. I sorta want there to be more punch in the transition, more distinction between the intro and the main mix.

damn! This conveys the exact same feelings I had the first time I heard the brambles track, only this in iteself is very unique. This is really freaking sweet, man. I am not even sure how you should, or even could, improve this, since this kind of thing is way over my head in terms of mixing ability. Oh hey! The lava theme! AHH! Why does it end there? Keep working on this, man. I've got my eyes on this one. I would not be surprised to see this one added to the site. Very nice.

Right off the bat, this sounds pretty cool. Samples are nothing mind-blowing, but they're used well, and the soundscape is really neat.

I'd make some more changes to that background when the percussion and guitar come in, though; you have a nice into/buildup, but then when it hits the transition into the main mix, nothing really changes aside from the addition of bass, percussion, and guitar. I sorta want there to be more punch in the transition, more distinction between the intro and the main mix.

GT is right on the nose here, Blue.

I really really like this one. :)

man Blue, you've really mastered the art of soundscape design with your instruments. everything clicks and gives a vast and epic sound overall. I'd really say you do this better than most everyone at OCR.

I like how you bring in the bass to fill it out after the sweet intro, and the guitar melody interspersed with chimes and synths all just come together to make this a beautiful song so far. I could keep raving but I'll just wait for the next update and then for it on the frontpage!

I just heard the update. And while I like what you've done in the ending, my favorite part of the song now sounds messed up. From 2:20 to around 3:10, this sounds cluttered. Sometimes the piano doesn't sound as articulate as it was in the previous version, and the sounds tend to clash with eachother. The guitar solo at 2:44 doesn't sound as clean, and I think it has too much going on behind it (It sounded wonderful in the previous version). I also think the bass now sounds muddy. Keep at it. While I have my complaints, it still sounds great.

I just heard the update. And while I like what you've done in the ending, my favorite part of the song now sounds messed up. From 2:20 to around 3:10, this sounds cluttered. Sometimes the piano doesn't sound as articulate as it was in the previous version, and the sounds tend to clash with eachother. The guitar solo at 2:44 doesn't sound as clean, and I think it has too much going on behind it (It sounded wonderful in the previous version). I also think the bass now sounds muddy. Keep at it. While I have my complaints, it still sounds great.

Heh...I thought I'd have time to post up the newest update before somebody heard that version. Yeah, that one was kinda rough, but in this update, all of that has been fixed. (I hope)

I finally figured out how to use the Normalize function in Sound Forge, so my mix sounds a little bit louder now.

I added a deeper pad in the intro to enhance the sound a bit.

I did put an ending on this version, but I don't think I'm going to keep it though. I imagined the ending being alot better, but I just can't think of a better way right now. My mind is in a million places.

My ending pretty much consists of the Vox Pads, the Voodoo Synth Pad (playing a melody that I made on accident), and the percs fading out.

I used some better sounding wood drums and totally redid the section where they come in.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...