Spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie, Yooka-Laylee

Neifion

What happens if, like many projects tend to do, this game hits development hell and A) needs more funds or B ) The game never materializes? Seems like if there's anything worse than buying a bad game it would be paying for one that never comes out. I really couldn't find any concrete terms of use for the funds gathered. I know this is a sort of populist approach to venture capitalism, but when someone is playing with other's money it seems like a lot of the impetus to complete a project is attenuated ( or maybe strengthened depending on the ethical outlook of a company)? Still without Microsoft hovering over them, I think Rareware might make something worth playing...I miss seeing that golden R and knowing that meant quality.

What happens if, like many projects tend to do, this game hits development hell and A) needs more funds or B ) The game never materializes? Seems like if there's anything worse than buying a bad game it would be paying for one that never comes out. I really couldn't find any concrete terms of use for the funds gathered. I know this is a sort of populist approach to venture capitalism, but when someone is playing with other's money it seems like a lot of the impetus to complete a project is attenuated ( or maybe strengthened depending on the ethical outlook of a company)? Still without Microsoft hovering over them, I think Rareware might make something worth playing...I miss seeing that golden R and knowing that meant quality.

Do you have any examples?

over the top Android developer wannabe projects != kickstarter-funded games

Of course, if you have people who are bad at budgeting in charge of funding, then you might fail, especially if you don't set aside an "emergency" fund, just in case something goes wrong.

On a project of this caliber, with people who have professionally produced games before, I highly doubt that needs to be a concern.

Do you have any examples?

Do you mean examples of vaporware or examples of kickstarters that never delivered? For failed Kickstarters found this  https://www.reddit.com/r/kickstarter/comments/1j6ubm/complete_list_of_funded_kickstarter_projects_that/ specifically for software http://kotaku.com/12-successful-kickstarters-that-never-delivered-1687019268 

Since this is like the primary 6 people who created all the best known Rareware games, I think this Kickstarter is a bit unusual. It's like funding the Beatles or Shigeru Miyamoto. So.. only like a 25% chance of total disaster instead of 90%.

Do you mean examples of vaporware or examples of kickstarters that never delivered? For failed Kickstarters found this  https://www.reddit.com/r/kickstarter/comments/1j6ubm/complete_list_of_funded_kickstarter_projects_that/ specifically for software http://kotaku.com/12-successful-kickstarters-that-never-delivered-1687019268 

Which of these projects were created by people who actually knew what they were doing?

(More pressing question, which of these projects are actually even good ideas in the first place)

EDIT: I went to examine them personally.

Many of these projects were created by individuals. Many of these products failed because they had no idea what they were doing. Others were instances of scams (take money and run).

Playtonic Games is not a bunch of college indie developers and they're not scam artists. They're game devs with decades of industry experience. They know how to make a game. Furthermore, they've created more than their MVP (minimum viable product, if you're unfamiliar), whereas most of those failed Kickstarters were just basic prototyped.

One of the few games in that list got stuck because they didn't know how to compile their project. That is one of the most amateur reasons for deciding to give up on a game. If your game logic code doesn't reference dependencies and is structurally sound, there is ALWAYS the option of remaking your game if you simply do not understand why the compilation process is getting messed up. Remaking your game is a matter of importing your assets into a new project and copying over your game logic. It takes a long time to do this especially if you wrote the engine yourself, yes. It takes a lot less time than never doing it.

Smart project management knows when it's time to nuke and start over soon enough to minimize delay. This won't happen with Yooka-Laylee regardless because it's built on an actual engine, and the devs are *probably* using proper source control and back-ups so they can just roll back if something catastrophic happens to their compiler set-up (which isn't likely anyway if they're using game engines and IDE's).

There are rare instances in which if you know how to make the game and how to pay for it, you won't be able to create the game. That almost never happens. Keep in mind any of your quick google searches will result in showing notable exceptions to the millions and millions of games that have been released.

Making games has never been easier. Small games can be made and delivered to the app store in 48 hour pizza parties. Big games primarily take continual motivation and money, both of which Playtonic Games has. If that doesn't convince you, they have their MVP. The game is done, it just needs content.

Which of these projects were created by people who actually knew what they were doing?

(More pressing question, which of these projects are actually even good ideas in the first place)

EDIT: I went to examine them personally.

Many of these projects were created by individuals. Many of these products failed because they had no idea what they were doing. Others were instances of scams (take money and run).

Playtonic Games is not a bunch of college indie developers and they're not scam artists. They're game devs with decades of industry experience. They know how to make a game. Furthermore, they've created more than their MVP (minimum viable product, if you're unfamiliar), whereas most of those failed Kickstarters were just basic prototyped.

One of the few games in that list got stuck because they didn't know how to compile their project. That is one of the most amateur reasons for deciding to give up on a game. If your game logic code doesn't reference dependencies and is structurally sound, there is ALWAYS the option of remaking your game if you simply do not understand why the compilation process is getting messed up. Remaking your game is a matter of importing your assets into a new project and copying over your game logic. It takes a long time to do this especially if you wrote the engine yourself, yes. It takes a lot less time than never doing it.

Smart project management knows when it's time to nuke and start over soon enough to minimize delay. This won't happen with Yooka-Laylee regardless because it's built on an actual engine, and the devs are *probably* using proper source control and back-ups so they can just roll back if something catastrophic happens to their compiler set-up (which isn't likely anyway if they're using game engines and IDE's).

There are rare instances in which if you know how to make the game and how to pay for it, you won't be able to create the game. That almost never happens. Keep in mind any of your quick google searches will result in showing notable exceptions to the millions and millions of games that have been released.

Making games has never been easier. Small games can be made and delivered to the app store in 48 hour pizza parties. Big games primarily take continual motivation and money, both of which Playtonic Games has. If that doesn't convince you, they have their MVP. The game is done, it just needs content.

As someone who is unfamiliar with the mechanics of programming I'll have to take your word for the technical aspect of game production. 

2 points though 

1) Yay! Playtonic AMA http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/38dtd9/were_playtonic_exrare_devs_behind_banjokazooie/

2) Boo! only 1/3 of companies deliver http://gamerant.com/kickstarter-video-game-failure-rate/ 

Preemptively I would like to point out that they are lumping in the "Hey man I've got this like...idea about a game with..like" with the time-tested game developers, but still I've yet to find a quality title that was crowd funded, most were hanging around the 6.5-8.0 range or were lukewarm in the reception.

Ps seriously I gotta thank Neblix for taking the extra step and doing a little extra research on this one...I enjoy discussions with him, I learn something every time and its always civil.........(virtual fist bump).......

Preemptively I would like to point out that they are lumping in the "Hey man I've got this like...idea about a game with..like" with the time-tested game developers, but still I've yet to find a quality title that was crowd funded, most were hanging around the 6.5-8.0 range or were lukewarm in the reception.

I want to point out mothafuckin' Shovel Knight.

• 7 months later...