*NO* Binding of Isaac 'Bisclaps'

Emunator

Contact Information

Submission Information

• Name of game arranged: The Binding of Isaac
  • Name of arrangement: "Bisclaps"
  • Name of individual song arranged: Repentant
  • Composer of original song: Danny Baranowsky
  • Link to the original soundtrack: http://dbsoundworks.bandcamp.com/album/the-binding-of-isaac-2
  • Comments: This is the song I created for the Community Remix Mod of The Binding of Isaac.  I named the song 'Bisclaps' after a comment about my song in a video by NorthernLion, who referred to the clapping and snapping sounds in the song as "bis-snaps and bis-claps."  This was a shoutout to another YouTuber, "Bisnap," who also plays The Binding of Isaac.

------------------------------------------

Source:

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

This is a cool sounding mix on its own, pretty well-produced with nice sequencing and sample quality. The only thing that sticks out to me is the unnatural articulation on the choir patch, which makes that stand out like a bit of a sore thumb. Not a big deal, though. I can see this working great in the game itself. However, the short arrangement, fadeout ending, and overall very conservative treatment of the original source tune seems unfortunately outside the scope of what we're looking for on OCRemix. I don't believe this goes far enough with interpreting or expanding on the original when viewed in context of our site standards, and the arrangement itself is so short, I think it works better as music for a game than as its own arrangement.

Other judges may view it differently, and I hope this doesn't discourage you, but I don't think this is a proper fit for OCR. Sorry!

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta agree all the way with Emu. The choir patch is pretty bleh; that should have been made to sound less robotic. Arrangement-wise, there's not much difference with the original music, besides the different beat underneath and less spooky sound. It's barely 2 minutes and just ends with a loop and a fade. Emu's right that it's laid out like in-game music, rather than a standalone piece.

It's a perfectly fine cover, and would be OK for a remake of the game if you're just looking for a very close arrangement, but we lean towards more interpretive approaches. Even when an arrangement is melodically conservative, we're also looking for a different approach with the instrumentation, mood, tone, or some additive writing -- some combination of factors that help the track stand apart more from the original song as its own version. Check out Big Giant Circles' "The Clubbing of Isaac" as an example of an arrangement that's more interpretive.

NO

nah, the choir patch absolutely kills the mood; it's too offputting in a very amateurish way. it just doesn't work

the arrangement is far too straight forward, too. really stuck in the very 1st gear it gets into and it doesn't do much else. it's also painfully short and then fades out most awkwardly.

this is a no for me :\

NO