Difference between a remix, an original or a cover? What is this piece of mine?

Hello!

I'm new and I was reading around that there is actually differences between a remix and a cover and that sometimes the pieces submitted are too far away from the original ones that actually don't fit here in OCR. Could someone tell me the exact differences?

What would this be?

My piece:

https://soundcloud.com/danielpellicer/another-loira-terranigma

The original one:

(I would like to improve to be able to do as good as the original one! :D)

I would call your track an original piece with a similar style and instrumentation to "Europe" from Terranigma.

A "remix" typically samples the audio of the original song.
An "arrangement" or "cover" are the same thing, which is an adaptation of a composition to new instrumentation and/or a new genre, regardless of the level of interpretation, and typically does not rely upon the use of the original song's audio.

Arrangements/covers can be conservative OR liberal. Very conservative arrangements retain the notes, tempo, rhythm, key and/or mood as the original song. Arrangements that are more liberal/transformative change several or all of those aspects, often drastically, and also can include new original part-writing not found in the original composition.

e.g. Coldplay's "Talk" (2005)
...is an arrangement of...
Kraftwerk's "Computer Love" (1981)

When we say "OC ReMix", they're actually not "remixes" (lowercase), it's just a brand name for "transformative video game music arrangement". Some OC ReMixes are more conservative than others when it comes to the level of interpretation, but many OC ReMixes are liberal arrangements, which is on purpose. We don't require our arrangements to be "true to the original"; they can be, but it's not necessary, and we feel it's creatively limiting.

Nowadays, "remix" has incorrectly become shorthand for any different version of a song, so most people just call anything that is an arrangement/cover a "remix". Even here, we do it. (Capitalizing "ReMix" takes effort we're not all willing to give. :lol: ) But if there's no original audio being sampled, it's actually an arrangement and not a remix. :-)

The instrumentation is pretty similar. The original sounds italian with almost a medieval town feel I suppose. Yours also has that acoustic-like bass, that same waltz meter, and that accordion-like synth. However, the notes sound different enough IMO that it sounds like you were just inspired by the original and wrote a new arrangement. I think this could pass as part of an OST.

Cool! Thanks for the answers!

I suppose now is much more clear to me what is an OC ReMix. The remaining question for me would be: How much is too far away from original so that is not anymore a ReMix?

I did something like an arrangement of a tales of symphonia arrangement. But in my arrengement the notes were a little bit changed. Just for the purpose of really understanding and to be able to prepare something to submit. Would this be ok as an OC ReMix or is it already to far away from the original version?

My piece:

https://soundcloud.com/danielpellicer/tos_fightingthespirit

The original remix:

The original piece:

Self-promotion disguised as questions... I can dig it  :nicework:

Precisely the impression I tried to avoid xD. The thing is if I was reading around the forum and this differences were not clear for me even hearing examples etc. and I thought that if I could connect something I've done with the proper definitions then I could base my next remix (I plan to submit something to the workshops) in something I've already done. 

If this thread is in anyway against the rules or I'm going too far I don't have any problem in editing my posts and erasing the links. :)

Cool! Thanks for the answers!

I suppose now is much more clear to me what is an OC ReMix. The remaining question for me would be: How much is too far away from original so that is not anymore a ReMix?

I did something like an arrangement of a tales of symphonia arrangement. But in my arrengement the notes were a little bit changed. Just for the purpose of really understanding and to be able to prepare something to submit. Would this be ok as an OC ReMix or is it already to far away from the original version?

My piece:

https://soundcloud.com/danielpellicer/tos_fightingthespirit

The original remix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_suayX-6BgQ

The original piece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxtPCpPUCdw

To save you time, it would be rejected based on the instruments being mechanical (fake), particularly the strings and the staccato lead (clarinet?). Interesting rhythmic similarity with the woodblock though; I think that part is valid arrangement.

Based on 0:19 and on, which generally has more overt source usage, I think the lesser presence of scales compared to the original (which has more scales and less >1 whole-tone melodic jumps) makes your melody a bit too different, at least until 0:58 for me. 1:36 is the most obvious source usage IMO, and I can say that 1:36 - 1:55 is quite valid because it's in the context of a similar harmonic progression as well. Afterwards, however, it gets more liberal. Overall, I think this feels more inspired by the original than being an actual ReMix of the original. It's kind of borderline for me but I would lean towards it being too original.

To save you time, it would be rejected based on the instruments being mechanical (fake), particularly the strings and the staccato lead (clarinet?). Interesting rhythmic similarity with the woodblock though; I think that part is valid arrangement.

Based on 0:19 and on, which generally has more overt source usage, I think the lesser presence of scales compared to the original (which has more scales and less >1 whole-tone melodic jumps) makes your melody a bit too different, at least until 0:58 for me. 1:36 is the most obvious source usage IMO, and I can say that 1:36 - 1:55 is quite valid because it's in the context of a similar harmonic progression as well. Afterwards, however, it gets more liberal. Overall, I think this feels more inspired by the original than being an actual ReMix of the original. It's kind of borderline for me but I would lean towards it being too original.

Thanks for the feedback! I get a better idea with this. I'll try to put something together and then I'll post it in the workshop :D