OCR03186 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass 'Sword of Sand'

Chimpazilla

ReMixer name: Hylian Lemon

Games arranged: The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Name of arrangement: Sword of Sand
Sources: Ocean King's theme, Oshus's theme, Great Sea

Links:
Phantom Hourglass: Ocean King's theme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ySlNjdqW1o
Phantom Hourglass: Oshus' theme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6deG-VwNOMo
Wind Waker: Great Sea - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J_bL2bjQ-k

This was originally a People's Remix Compo bonus entry in 2009. After my Link's Awakening track got posted, I figured I owed it to the Zelda series to submit something from a less popular game, so I came back to this track and revised it for submission. Considered as a whole, most people aren't really fond of Phantom Hourglass's soundtrack, but it's got a couple of standout tunes: Linebeck's theme, and the Ocean King/Oshus's theme. Linebeck's theme seems like the obvious choice, so I didn't do it.

The original arrangement was made when I was still just starting to feel my way into chippy sounds. There was no EQ to speak of. No rainbow color-coded channel organization. I don't know how I could have lived in such squalor. If you want to see how much you've changed over the last five years, just open up an old project file.

In conclusion: portable Zelda, y'all. I challenge everyone to get more of them onto the site before I do.

Phantom Hourglass?  Woohoo, one of my favorite Zelda games gets some love!  (Ok so every Zelda game is my favorite Zelda game) 

Source use is plenty, no issues.  I love how you wove the Wind Waker main theme into this arrangement, really nicely done.  Lots of creativity in this arrangement, I absolutely love it.  That change to 4/4 at 2:29 is sheer dynamite, oh gawd I'm a sucker for time signature changes, and this was so unbelievably smooth.  (edit:  ok so that part sounds like 6/8, but it is clearly different from the 3/4 that preceded it, and I dig whatever you did thar)

I hear some issues with the bass, primarily that issue where one note is too loud and needs to be adjusted with eq prior to compression.  I mainly hear this in the intro from (0:20-0:30).  Bass needs a little more control overall.  Also, I find some of the chip timbres dry and piercy, but I think this is just how chiptune elements sound?  I think the mixing could be smoother than this tbh, some of these leads sound pasted on top and not sitting nicely in the mix.  The drums get a little repetitive sometimes, but maybe it's just due to the 8 bit drums being used throughout the mix.

My issues aren't enough to hold this fabulous arrangement back.  So many little cool details throughout as well.  And yay for Phantom Hourglass!

YES

• 2 weeks later...

oh you, lemon, you

unshockingly, Hylian Lemon delivers a fantastic zelda tune that does so much as an arrangement, it's hard to get hung up on the repetitiveness of it... which is entirely forgivable since a lot of chiptune music tends to appear that way like kris points out.

i'm just blown away by how rich this arrangement is; it doesn't just arrange the three identified sources but rather pulls together a comprehensive treatment of the entire series (if nothing else, it makes you feel that way). the truth is, zelda music is very much centralized compositionally; well over half of the franchise's themes are based off of the original zelda overworld theme and hylian lemon shows a clear understanding of that with this remix. 

a very focused, pleasant and beautifully arranged zelda tune (no i swear, i don't have any zelda bias)

YES

• 1 month later...