OCR03162 - *YES* Mega Man 4 'Chipped Bone'

Emunator

Hello guys, this is Showroom Dummy again.

Remix name is "Chipped Bone"

Original is Mega Man 4 Skull Man stage. 

My direction with this mix was to make funky house.  I played a lot of melodies of the song on my keyboard so there is little copy paste including bassline and the others :D.  My mission was to make a song more complex with time, so after first section it breaks time signatures, extending phrases and many solos.  I always want to surprise with the arrangements I make, but I keep the chiptune element in all my work.

My favorite is the bassline I put much work in! I hope you enjoy :)  Sorry for any bad english, it's translated.

Source:

This is a surprisingly personalized, detailed, and evolving remix! At first listen, I was concerned about the arrangement sounding too same-y, due to the fact that it's all based on a pretty consistent 4-on-the-floor beat and a pretty simple chord progression. It took a few listens to really appreciate how detailed your arrangement was - there's tons of synth flourishes, beat fills, and the excellent soloing mixed in with the Skull Man source. The additive approach to arranging paid off really well - by the time the track was over, I found myself lost in the groove and really enjoying the little touches you scattered throughout!

Deceptively well-crafted, it took me a bit to fully appreciate it but I like this! Production is on-point to match - the only issue I had was the loudness of the sub bass in the first few seconds, but it's such a minor gripe. Everything else about this is well-polished. Great work.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

haha wow, you are one sneaky guy

this is brilliant; one of the coolest things i've heard in a long, long time. i'm a huge fan of this sort of progressive arrangement and it showcases your superb ear. this is a fresh take on skull man; it takes the original source's strength (it's energetic chord progression and syncopated melody) and uses it to explore novel ways of presenting the same few bars of the original in a constantly changing landscape. it doesn't rely on the inherent rhythmic quality of the original as do many skull man remixes (so easily fashioned into a latin groove) and by the time we are near the end of the track, we completely forget how it started, that it started with a totally straight cover shot. you successfully (And progressively) tear away time signatures and give it new shredded ones, tear away the melody and give it blistering solos. i've listened to it at least half a dozen times as of this writing and i'm convinced the tune ought to sound like it does in its later iterations lol the most impressive part is how you chop up the chord progression in your arrangement and just when it sounds like the tune is about to fly off the tracks and become a horror show of mangled bits of the original that it may become unlistenable, you bring the listener back confidently like a proper guide does. so good.

polished, expertly arranged and entertaining as hell. check, check, check

YES

First thing I noticed was too much kick, not enough bass.  

Second thing I noticed was the melodic reinterpretation was a bit awkward.  Then it kind of goes off into left field with the harmonies that don't really quite work, and then it seems to come back at random.  I'll give you that you have some interesting melodic ideas, but they are really thrown together here with no cohesion or direction.  Keep working on it though, give it some structure and it could be really cool.

NO

Classic trance percussion. The main lead is nasal, I think tone could be refined, but there is a deceptive simplicity to what you've done. Compression is hotter than necessary. I agree with Vig about bass vs kick. More dynamic bass synth would liven things up. Lots of stylish rhythm/soundscape switches though, mixing is clean and interpretation of source is expansive.

YES (borderline)

Pretty interesting take on the melody, I like how you kinda throw everything off rhythm a bit but still keep the flow going. The soloing in particular is really sweet here, love how you play with the melodies and still keep it fresh to the source. Vig and Clem both have good critiques on the production end of things that I think could be addressed in future mixes. I'm not particularly sold on the lead synth, but as the mix goes on it grows on you, and it works pretty well for the solos in particular. I personally would have liked a bigger change-up to the soundscape at some point to give the ears a bit of a rest, but I think overall it is varied enough as-is.

Sweet solos!

YES